U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 3,599,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You still do not get it. We are not discussing the application or use of the formulas, KC. We are interpreting their philosophical significance in revealing the structure and composition of our reality.
Gotta understand the former to do the latter. So far there's no evidence that's there's any understanding of the actual science, so garbage in, garbage out.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM

23,093 posts, read 11,206,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Gotta understand the former to do the latter. So far there's no evidence that's there's any understanding of the actual science, so garbage in, garbage out.
I let my knowledge and intellect speak for themselves against the ignorance of the real issues involved that a little knowledge (dangerous thing) invests in my critics.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM

5,337 posts, read 1,979,419 times
Calling them critics I think puts a bit more worth on to your claims than they are due I feel. There is nothing there to critique.

The claim that energy is "accelerated mass"... is false.
The claim that matter can be accelerated to the speed of light... is false.
The claim that matter can be accelerated to a multiple of the speed of light... is massively false.
The claim that it can be accelerated to a multiple large enough to be the square of the speed of light... is just egregious nonsense.

So one can blow ones own trumpet all day about how great ones intellect and knowledge are... and how ignorant everyone else around one is... but none of this ego masturbation will change the fact that you are simply wrong here and massively misinterpreting an area of Physics that many users on the thread here know much better than you.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Excellent read. He explains the sissues that so many here seem not to even be aware of . . . even though he and I are on opposite sides philosophically. The ignorance of the philosophical use of mathematics is rampant here, especially when the use of analogy is employed to try to make things accessible to a wider audience.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 AM

5,337 posts, read 1,979,419 times
Analogy is not useful if the thing you are making analogy to does not exist, or is.... in the case of your claims that mass is accelerated to many 1000s of times the speed of light.... just patently false in what you would be more correct had you termed "the philosophical MISuse of mathematics".

Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 3,599,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I let my knowledge and intellect speak for themselves against the ignorance of the real issues involved that a little knowledge (dangerous thing) invests in my critics.
Let us know when you're ready to start.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
So many assertions that we cannot reach the speed of light but it seems possible that nutrinos may in fact travel faster according to recent findings. Can we be so sure?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,373,430 times
Default Head of 'faster-than-light' neutrinos team resigns

Head of 'faster-than-light' neutrinos team resigns - CSMonitor.com

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

7,776 posts, read 6,573,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowithitinsf View Post
So many assertions that we cannot reach the speed of light but it seems possible that nutrinos may in fact travel faster according to recent findings. Can we be so sure?
Oh, and how did that work out for them?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowithitinsf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Oh, and how did that work out for them?
The "speed" and "acceleration" in the OP has NOTHING to do with linear speed and acceleration of objects. The quote marks are important delimiters to the terms which were used as explanatory analogues for those unfamiliar with the Relativity theories. The ignorance about the philosophical implications underlying the routine USE of the mathematical formulations is what accounts for all the confusion. I am not talking about the USE of the formulas or their application. I am referring to what they imply about the very STRUCTURE and COMPOSITION of our reality.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 04-08-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy