Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,831,141 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that we, as a species, and ultimately Life itself, is really of One consciousness and being, and that the identity of the individual, and the 'self' are really illusions? I've always believed that we're but fragments of divine energy - aka life or consciousness - perhaps fragments of God or the conscious component of the Universe, and there exists between us the collective consciousness and memory of humanity.

After all we all originated from a microscopic point (I suppose the first zygote of what evolved to become Homo sapiens sapiens) as the Universe originated from a point the size of an atom.

So in a very literal sense we are the same huge organism. Why our consciousness is split up - why I can't fuse my mind to yours, is I think related to the fallen state of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,097,855 times
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you believe that we, as a species, and ultimately Life itself, is really of One consciousness and being, and that the identity of the individual, and the 'self' are really illusions? I've always believed that we're but fragments of divine energy - aka life or consciousness - perhaps fragments of God or the conscious component of the Universe, and there exists between us the collective consciousness and memory of humanity.

After all we all originated from a microscopic point (I suppose the first zygote of what evolved to become Homo sapiens sapiens) as the Universe originated from a point the size of an atom.

So in a very literal sense we are the same huge organism. Why our consciousness is split up - why I can't fuse my mind to yours, is I think related to the fallen state of the world.
If we could 'fuse' our minds together, it would not be too surprising, I suppose, but despite all manner of attempt to show some kind of mental link between humans (as opposed to tending to think the same way and to communicate ideas physically, consciously or unconsciously) I am not persuaded to buy into any such theory.

Neither are you, it seems, as you explain that there ought be such a link but it was somehow lost because of 'the fallen state of the world'.

I'm not sure what you mean by that and attempt to relate this to the Adam - story would make it something (like immortality) that was gone almost before we had it, to all intents and purposes.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

460 posts, read 591,163 times
There appears to be a lot of philosophical thought that supports such a belief. Buddhism, for example.

Then, there are the apparent anomalies that are hard to explain, such as several people from different parts of the globe have very similar ideas as to inventions as well as even plots of stories.

Personally, I feel that I am affecting the other nearly 7 billion people on the planet in one way or another. I like to think of it as a ripple effect.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Default Do you believe in the unity of human consciousness?

I once thought that all consciousness was one and that our goal in life was to lose all our individuality to rejoin it. My experiences have taught ne otherwise. We retain our individuality in the oneness. Think about a symphony orchestra comprised of many individual participants each with unique skills and style of playing in each section of similar players of the same instrument. That is how I now see the unity of human consciousness. IOW, we will be grouped with those of similar minds and character to our own . . . but we will all be playing our parts in the Cosmic Symphony as one "in tune" with God and everybody else.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times
unity is a relative thing. when u are drowning and pull me under with you-- then unity is not what it was. how bout a nice unity life preserver instead thrown from the shore?.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM

I guess I view consciousness more as a PROPERTY of the Universe rather than something that each organism generations. I can't conceive of a non-conscious universe conceiving life, no matter how you crunch the numbers. If there is no cogniscient God than the Universe itself is God. Perhaps it's partly a matter of semantics.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess I view consciousness more as a PROPERTY of the Universe rather than something that each organism generations. I can't conceive of a non-conscious universe conceiving life, no matter how you crunch the numbers. If there is no cogniscient God than the Universe itself is God. Perhaps it's partly a matter of semantics.
Each human organism generates consciousness as a cellular part of God's consciousness . . . just as every cell of our bodies generates us.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Each human organism generates consciousness as a cellular part of God's consciousness . . . just as every cell of our bodies generates us.
Another good analogy. In a sense each cell is a self-contained 'version' of that organism, while they also communicate with each other. I think each cell has a strong sense of it's being part of the greater organism too. But to have a single mind, it's an interesting concept. If there's an afterlife it will be interesting to see whether individuality is totally preserved. I've always thought of the idea as being 're-united' with God as a partial amalgamation process with the Godhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy