U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,016,918 times

Advertisements

Anyone here a "neo-Luddist" or similar ?

Luddism was a movement in England that rebelled against the cultural changes produced by the industrial revolution.

Luddite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neo-Luddism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern technology, especially ever-changing, ever-improving communication technology,
seems to the be logical conclusion to the age of enlightenment / industrial revolution.

Ironically, the further humanity advances into intercommunication, the less civilized it becomes.
The more technology progresses, the more it releases "monsters from the id."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 PM

" A Neo-Luddite is someone who believes that the use of technology has serious ethical, moral, and social ramifications. "

" The Neo-Luddite position is that rather than assuming that technology is always neutral or even beneficial, people should
think about the ramifications of technology. For example, advanced life support systems now allow people to live much longer
than was possible in previous eras, but these lives are not always fulfilling or happy. Technology is also used in a variety of
ways which could be perceived as harmful; for example, several cities use extensive surveillance systems to keep an eye on
the populace, which many people see as a breach of privacy. "

What Is a Neo-Luddite?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,695,652 times
I'm occasionally called a Luddite because of my refusal to be tethered to the cellphone system and the attendant non-use of texting, smartphones etc. Also for my continued use of dial tone landline POTS copper pair telephones, some of them still rotary dial.

However, it has nothing to do with ethics or morals.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,123,863 times
I guess I've found the name for what I am. When recently The Economist giddily wrote about "the third industrial revolution" I wanted to vomit. They wrote about new factories with no people on the floor, all managed by software, - but the kicker is that things are not made from expected materials, neither. A hammer, for example, is made by layering materials on top of each other - each hammer grown as a sandwich of who knows what layers. The article sang praise for the absence of shavings as left after modern machining.

I wanted to vomit for 2 reasons: first, it would be an absolute good-bye to a meaningful attempt to recycle because it would increase the complexity of separating molded complicated layers of whatever high-tech materials. Something like the towers of garbage from Wall-E came to mind. Second, the article praised elimination of manual labor, as if sterile walls, manicured nails, and high heels are the height of civilization. People are already removed from being able to fix anything. What we are lacking already, is the pride of touching something you made with your hands. And the energy needed to build and run this mammoth factory, my god! That alone would eliminate all the perceived pluses. I would rather order a hammer from a local artisan, made with natural materials - wood and iron, but to make a billion-dollar factory run it for my pitiful hammer? People are removed from the nature already too much, but let's also remove the feel of a wooden handle. The imitation of wood will do.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,118,289 times
didn't the Unabomber have something to say about this;

anyone read his manifesto - seemed to be a neo-Luddite style rant against modern technology?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
For you to be a luddist, you must act actively by destroying machines etc. you find detrimental for your community wellbeing. If you don't use as much technology as you could that could mean different things. Me, for example, I find Iphones and most of the gadgets annoying and unnecessary. I think I'll stick to my cell phone and PC for foreseeable future. Luddites were not just passive consumers, they actively sabotaged machinery that were responsible for deskilling of labor, community declines, falling wages and unemployment. Ideologically, I guess, they tried to preserve old communal rural England that extended the Right to exist to every peasant (most of the time). Some of their ideological leaders went as far as to claim that other life forms have the right to exist too, regardless of our use or need for them. 200 years later Al Gore didn't have enough of vision to claim that.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM

308 posts, read 764,033 times
so, in other words, Amish people (and other similarly religious sects who do not like progress, electricity, etc) are neo-Luddists?

Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 AM

I went searching for like-minded people who do not like the current culture of constantly changing technology
that constantly changes society [and not for the better] and came across the term, Neo-Luddism.

If there is a better term, I'd like to know what it is.

I've never owned a cell phone and do just fine with a land line. Nor have I ever owned a microwave.

But eventually "new and improved" technology will force those of us who choose to live a less tech-driven lifestyle
to conform to heaven knows what.

Here is an article that [for me] reads like a futuristic horror story

Why shopping will never be the same | news10.net

Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 AM

I can identify with this article:

" My VCR had been serving me well, thank you very much.

Then suddenly you couldnít find a new release on video to save your life.
It reminded me of when albums and cassettes gave way to CDs.

I suppose thatís how I define my relationship with all things tech: giving in. "

Why I Live a Low-Tech Life at WomansDay.com - Woman's Day

Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,834,109 times
i used to be a luddite. i lived with someone who felt the same way and we had a wood burning stove, no phone, and CERTAINLY no computer. i didn't even get an email address until 2004. any sort of tech device like a computer or a cell phone or even a cd player, had to be given to me and it would take me a long time to see the usefulness of it.

however, coming out on the other side of it, i think there is alot to be thankful for in the 21st century. i have made amazing friends due to the internet, friends i have had for years. i have met a number of boyfriends that way, not on dating sites, but just on myspace because we had the same esoteric tastes in music or whatever. i think those sorts who grew up a certain kind of misfit have found a community through the internet.

i also love mp3s. i move alot, and tend to keep my possessions to whatever can fit in my van. i find the idea of buying a sofa abhorrent. so collecting records is out. i can stack it all on my Ipod and have anything i want to listen to at any time at my fingertips. and i don't have to lug all that wax around, worrying about it warping or getting abused or stolen. life has become more compact and easy to move due to technology. and on long trips or camping in the woods, i am VERY happy for my cell phone.

i DO miss making things by hand, i used to be a real nerd with tapes, making covers, gluing little bits together and giving them to friends. a cd is just not the same thing. on the other hand, i have a complete music studio, movie making studio, and FX/compositing studio right here on my laptop. i never, ever want to go back in the past, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or