Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it would be physically disabling/mutilating someone to the point they could no longer enjoy life. I'd say that's worse than murder because they would be alive but not living.

On the other hand though, that's obviously not as bad in terms of quantity as genocide or destroying the entire human race or something diabolical like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Torture, because the intent is specifically to make another being suffer as much as possible for as long as possible... and the worst of the worst is torture just for the sake of torture (as opposed to torture to force information out of someone, for exampe).

Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 PM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
To let other people believe they are someone that they are not. The gods are the only one's who have this ability. When someone cares for others while someone else takes credit is the worst crime of all. Stealing a man's hopes. dreams and aspirations and claiming them as their own.

Christianity will soon feel the pain of Jesus and those suffering around this world. Those with power, pennies and privilege are guilty of not caring for those with nothing.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Crimes against children, the worst crime I can think of..

Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Crimes against children, the worst crime I can think of..
Why is hurting a kid worse than hurting an adult, a teenager, and old person etc? I've never really understood that. If it's because they are 'innocent' well ... do you remember elementary school at all?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Why is hurting a kid worse than hurting an adult, a teenager, and old person etc? I've never really understood that. If it's because they are 'innocent' well ... do you remember elementary school at all?
because a young child has virtually NO defenses against these things. An adult usually can at least fight back.
It is worse because the person is harming an individual that is a child. It's sick. Even in prison people who harm kids are hated by even the most hardened criminals.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:27 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Harming a child is the lowest crime I can think of , its sick and depraved.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
because a young child has virtually NO defenses against these things. An adult usually can at least fight back.
It is worse because the person is harming an individual that is a child. It's sick. Even in prison people who harm kids are hated by even the most hardened criminals.
But sometimes adults fail in fighting back. If i tried to steal a hundred dollars from you, and succeeded after fighting you and winning, would it make it any less wrong than if you had no chance of beating me and I still got the money from you?

The bolded is simply begging the question, and the last thing, well, everyone needs someone to look down on so they can feel less guilty about their own wrongs in life, right? It's not like criminals have some kind of code where they only victimize people 18 and older. They hate pedophiles because they are perverted and abnormal, and usually easy targets, not because they see them as being 'too evil'. There really isn't honour among thieves.

I dunno, I find it kind of disturbing society deems we are supposed to feel less bad for adult victims than young victims. When those young children of 2012 grow up and are adults in 2030, will we as a society care less if they are hurt?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Crimes against a vulnerable victim (like a child) are low and pathetic because the perpetrator chooses such a weak target because they know the victim can't fight back.

They are self-serving coward's crimes, but rarely occur because the perpetrator wants to hurt the victim just for the sake of causing hurt... instead they are simply relatively "low risk" means to fulfill whatever perverse desire or need the perpetrator has.

Intentions get a lot more "evil" than that...

Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
To let other people believe they are someone that they are not. The gods are the only one's who have this ability. When someone cares for others while someone else takes credit is the worst crime of all. Stealing a man's hopes. dreams and aspirations and claiming them as their own.

Christianity will soon feel the pain of Jesus and those suffering around this world. Those with power, pennies and privilege are guilty of not caring for those with nothing.
Interesting answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy