U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM

7,031 posts, read 8,842,587 times

Advertisements

The meaning of life is to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM

882 posts, read 1,776,128 times
This many replies and no Monty Python references? No 42 jokes?

I am disappointed.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,327 times
I hooked, without knowing, the title of a British comedy, however, it's fine so.. indipendent comment without replies.

just a monologue

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 AM

3,947 posts, read 4,111,856 times
I used to know.. now I don't.

I always used to believe the purpose in life is to fulfill something we've intrinsically desired to want to fulfill through our own manifestations as energies as life forms on this planet.

We're here for a reason. Each person arrives at their own destiny, according to how they desire to create their own stories that will eventually unfold.

When those needs become unexpressed, we suffer from unfinished business.

So really, I feel on some level Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's quote: "We're spiritual beings having a human experience", rings true to me.

We're all energy. There's no denying. Even after death, the memories or energy of a person still exists. It's not completely dead, and becomes a sort of legacy.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,327 times
It is said that the meaning of life is not perceptible to our senses, needs and desires to fill our heart's deep empty space.
Sometimes it happens someone become tired to try..to seek and he/she get peace reducing the desire's amplitude, for the infinite need that we are, filling the empty space with something else, but it Does not last long ...

Other times we seem as passengers of a train, some sitting in first class other in the second, and so on, the pilot is " Mater tenebra " cold and indifferent.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM

22 posts, read 19,844 times
The meaning of life is what you want it to be. The reason we are here is because we want to be. We want the experience of being a mother, fighter pilot, comedian, politician, bank robber, window washer, animal rescuer, etc... Whatever you desire to experience, is your reason for coming to this beautiful plant. The tricky part is remembering why we chose to come here.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,224,220 times
Life is a learning experience and a test. It is a very small part of our existence, but very important as what we do or do not do will eventually determine how we spend eternity.

I imagine that to an Atheist that makes no sense.

But to me as a theist it sums up our purpose.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM

11,314 posts, read 7,316,395 times
Life is about avoiding death for as long as possible.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM

4,766 posts, read 3,340,442 times
The meaning of life is a complete mystery to me.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 AM

3,947 posts, read 4,111,856 times
The meaning of life is what you make of it in the eye of the beholder.

To some degree, we do have control and power of our situations, and on the hand hand, we are lucky by random chance to change our outcome.

I don't think life is quite black and white in a sense that what you put in, you will get out.

In the end, you still have a choice to view life in a way that gives meaning to your experience, even if it's limited it's still something. Life has so many variables, so many vantage points.

Life is what makes most sense to you in the most resounding way. A serial killer's meaning for life could be killing, but that nothingness that ensues killing is also a void in which he or she see's his/her life as empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or