U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 AM

112 posts, read 118,332 times

Advertisements

Is Nietzsche the greatest philosopher?

who else is as good, or better?

I've just bought a Kierkegarrd (sp?) so will be interesting to see how that compares.

but having recently read several of Nz's works, I think it will be hard to top.

any views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 AM

353 posts, read 800,942 times
Nietzsche is one of the greatest philosophers of all time as well as Kierkegaard.

But it really depends on what you mean by greatest.
If you mean in terms of sheer philosophical influence, you can't really get past Plato, Aristotle and Kant.
If you mean in terms of academia, Russell, Wittgenstein and Heidegger would be your guys.

But yes, Kierkegaard and Nietzsche would be the greatest in terms of direct influence on culture in general, existentialism and postmodernism specifically. And I find they are the two philosophers most teenagers would read first.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 AM

ok, thanks for the response.

I"m on 'Twilight of the Gods/The Anti-Christ' right now, seems interesting.

NZ seems to dislike Kant - why is this?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 AM

89 posts, read 126,603 times
He's my favorite.

I'm cynical and miserable though, so I think that counts as a pretty significant pro-Nietzsche bias.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,088,058 times
Sartre/Kierkegaard might be tied for my favorite. I do like Žižek currently, but I like the others more.

To simplify Kant; he was in another league IMO. But he was stuck in his own apriori in lieu of God, model. His overall philosophy is too cut and dry for me and passes the buck to the whole apriori/aposteriori system. (From the little I've read of Nietzsche) As far as Nietzsche not liking him; I'm not too sure other than assuming that Nietzsche's ideas of "will to power" and Ubermench don't necessarily jive with a hard Platonic moral code. In other words they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. To over simplify again, it's human morality vs. God's morality.

Sarte, on the other hand, I really relate to. I find parallels to things like Buddhism and authenticity and it seems as though his thoughts can easily be turned into a practical everyday philosophy.

Kierkegaard is rooted in an unwavering Christianity (something I'm not)yet I admire his fervent yet critical beliefs against the Lutheran Church; finding God for one's self and of course his wacky pseudonyms.

Nietzche I think resonates with a lot of people because he was an interesting quotable guy. And sometimes he didn't really make that much sense.

In class a long time ago, a group of us were talking and came to the conclusion that Nietzsche's existence, although he had a few good ideas (mostly taken out of context), was just to stir the pot; and we need people like this from time to time.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM

at the end of the book it said that NZ disliked the fact that Kant believed in a 'world order of morality'

that makes sense now, as presumably there is no real morality - we just do what suits us best, and morals are constantly changing.

it's great to have a break from all the Christian/Jewish based morality and codes.

just starting 'Human, all too human' now.

great stuff!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM

643 posts, read 667,303 times
It was Baruch Spinoza who's creation of "The Ethics" which was published after his death. Arguably, the greatest philosopher would have all the answers to the mysteries of life. I always like the controversial philosophers like Marx and Nietzsche. People forget about the ancient Greeks of Linear A and Linear B. Themis was Hera's trusted advisor, they have a statue of her in British Columbia. Britain brought the world Adam Smith who talked of the invisible hand.

Perhaps the greatest mind that this world will never be able to figure out is Odysseus. Nobody wants to know the real ugly truth about this world we live in.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Aleister Crowley - good user name!

do you think he was inspired by NZtsche?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM

643 posts, read 667,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-goat View Post
Aleister Crowley - good user name!

do you think he was inspired by NZtsche?
Spinoza came before Nietzsche. Spinoza was 1632-77. He was from the Netherlands like Erasmus.
I don't want to forget Max Weber from Germany or Hannah Arendt also German. The Frankfurt School had the best school of thought I think this modern world has ever seen. The Vienna School was good for Otto Rank alone for psychology. I think Piaget also came from the Vienna school.

I don't want to forget about Immanuel Kant either.
The French had Jean Jacques Rousseau.
There is William Godwin from Britain if you want Winston Churchill like controversy, which I live for.
I was always a big fan of Leon Trotsky, I always liked hearing his name before I knew who he was when I was young.
I can't forget Antonio Gramschi, a great Italian mind.
Michel Foucault was another great French mind.
David Hume was another from Edinburgh. I just calls those Scotish minds Scotland Yard.

Kierkegarrd is like Blase Pascal, they have the most memorable quotes along with Nietzsche.
Arthur Schopenhauer from Germany was one of my favorites, he preferred Buddisim over Christianity or any religion.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,785 times
I do not think I could arrogate the right to say that he is the best, certainly he is in the top list, I like his perception of parallel lives made ​​by similar souls, which inevitably come to the same result, getting it as the goal of life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or