U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM

440 posts, read 810,209 times

Advertisements

It is time to impart your wisdom.

If there was ONE single thing, one piece of knowledge that you could leave to the younger generation, what would it be? It could be about anything, whatever you think is the most important lesson that should be passed down and taken note of.

I think it is so easy to dismiss what our elders tell us because most people learn through trial and error, rather than taking someone else's word (only to find out later on that mother really DID know best). Even as a 20-something, I find myself gnashing my teeth in frustration when I try to warn my teenage brother about little things such as the importance of doing homework and keeping good grades, or how unimportant high school drama really is. Of course, the only way he'll ever really know any of this for sure is to grow up and experience life for himself. But as I've gotten older, I've realized that I should've listened to a lot more that my grandmother told me. I believe older people hold a lot of life's answers, so I'm curious as to what some of the answers to this question might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,226,265 times
This old turtle has little to offer.

Accept full responsibility for what you believe. Do not believe anything unless you have found verification of it. Each of us carries the responsibility of what we believe and can not use the excuse we were misled.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,580,121 times
Number 1....Take good care of your health
Start saving for retirement the minute you turn 18. Even a dollar a week if that's all you have...It will make a difference in how you live as a senior.
Be kind, always be kind.....It does come back to you.
Tell those you love, that you love them often.
Talk to loved ones, But listen more!!
Figure out all the free things that enrich your life. Walks, Talks, Sitting on Your stoop, porch, in your yard...Playing at the park....Faith, etc. Always take advantage of the free life enriching opportunities.
Never stop learning...Seek to learn
There are so many more....But the above are pretty top of the list for me.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM

645 posts, read 1,100,289 times
Buy items "Made in the USA." *Note, I didn't say Toyodas, Fords or other items that were assembled in America, I stated "Made in the USA." If you can't find it, don't buy it. Regardless of what color, sex, or age you are as well as all that makes us a melting pot, you still need a job.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM

128 posts, read 121,495 times
Don't burn your bridges. You never know where you're going to end up ... or where the people you meet along your journey are going to end up.

I see so many people who get another job stomp out of here telling everyone to go to h***. Then four or five years later they're back, or they're applying for a job with one of our sister companies, and they try to pretend that nothing ever happened ... but everyone else is thinking "aren't you the kid who shoved the plant over on your way out the door?"

Whatever your job is, give it your all and appreciate the fact that you have one when so many other people don't.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM

399 posts, read 601,419 times
I say save for retirement. You get old FAST!!! Start by putting a small amount in an account or aside but DO NOT touch it for even an emergency. It's retirement money.

You WILL get old and then not have to rely on family to help you.

JMHO

Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,907,321 times
Be VERY selective on who you chose for a life partner. Opposites may attract, but choose someone who mirrors your own value system. The wrong choice will affect your opportunities for happiness, health and financial security.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,775,120 times
Do the right thing.

Make a promise to yourself that in every situation you will always do your best to do what you know is the morally correct thing to do. If it's not clear, make the best choice you can under the circumstances and don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM

568 posts, read 822,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Be VERY selective on who you chose for a life partner. Opposites may attract, but choose someone who mirrors your own value system. The wrong choice will affect your opportunities for happiness, health and financial security.
Oh yes...my mother told me not to and I did it anyway. Thought he was the "one". Mother knew better.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
It is time to impart your wisdom.

If there was ONE single thing, one piece of knowledge that you could leave to the younger generation, what would it be? It could be about anything, whatever you think is the most important lesson that should be passed down and taken note of.

I think it is so easy to dismiss what our elders tell us because most people learn through trial and error, rather than taking someone else's word (only to find out later on that mother really DID know best). Even as a 20-something, I find myself gnashing my teeth in frustration when I try to warn my teenage brother about little things such as the importance of doing homework and keeping good grades, or how unimportant high school drama really is. Of course, the only way he'll ever really know any of this for sure is to grow up and experience life for himself. But as I've gotten older, I've realized that I should've listened to a lot more that my grandmother told me. I believe older people hold a lot of life's answers, so I'm curious as to what some of the answers to this question might be.

Accept responsibility for your own actions, support yourself and do not rely on others to take care of you physically, financially, emotionally, religiously or spiritually, do not "settle" for a partner for marriage that you do not consider your best friend first before you have any romantic feelings come into play and always, always TALK to your partner about everything, not argue, talk, discuss and if an arguement starts walk away, calm down and discuss later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or