U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,189,044 times

Advertisements

This is not a question of 'what is a moment'...we all have a pretty vague but universal idea of what an 'insant' in time is, i.e. the shortest meaningful period of time.

Yet we also know time can be relative. I'm wondering if anyone has shared this experience. When I post too quickly here on CD for instance, it'll tell me I have to wait 60 seconds between posts and I have x seconds before I can post. There've been times when, it has says 'you have 10 seconds to post', and literally in what FEELS like 2 seconds to me I click post again and I can post! As they say time flies when you're having fun. When you watch the clock you realise how much time is actually passing! Or say you video tape something, doesn't it always seem way longer when it's played back than in real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,732,016 times
My first thought was to the classic Star Trek Next Gen episode "The Inner Light" whereby Capt Picard lives a lifetime in a brief 20 minute probe scan which renders him unconscious for 20 minutes on the bridge. LOL

And no I am NOT a 'trekkie' , that particular episode was one of the very best (the premise is what a dying planet / civilization does to preserve its heritage in face of pending annihilation) and is easy to remember.

I think there's a parallel when some people project what a lifetime with a potential significant other may be like.

Seriously, the passing of time generally seems faster when one is focused and absorbed in doing something one finds delight in, and tends to take forever when one is doing something one dislikes. One of the tricks many fail to realize is there are somethings in life everyone still has to do and many fail to figure out ways to make them enjoyable as the time passes by.

Personally i do not post here often enough to experience the situation you describe, but occasionally like to answer an errant question that catches my attention when I am online.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,226,265 times
I can't remember the exact words but once Einstein was asked to explain relativity in a few simple words. His answer was something like this:

One second is a very short time if you are kissing a pretty girl and a very long time if you are sitting on a red hot stove.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM

75 posts, read 74,885 times
Well the longest an instant or a moment of time has felt to me harks back to some experimentation I did in the 1970's, not sure the moderators would want me to be too specific....

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,085,887 times
I think there's been some study about how our brain makes more effiecent use of "time" for lack of better phrasing.

When I'm outside working on a car and trying different things to solve a problem; that's all I'm focusing on. I spend all day working and need more time to finish because it goes by so fast.

If I'm at work or just sitting around looking at the clock, then it obviously slows down and takes forever. Similarly, if I have an appointment or are waiting for someone time seems to slow down as well.

So I've concluded when we worry about time; it worries us. When we don't care about it, it does not care about us.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,430,278 times
I do believe time can be bent and twisted and does suspend and even flow backwards. For m - as a former professional dancer, although not having professionally danced ballet, I'm trained in it and my best memory of no time - is at the very top of an exceptional leap when it seems that I, yes I, decide when it is time to come down. Sounds odd, but there it is.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM

219 posts, read 410,469 times
The longest moments of my life, the most 'be here now' and 'present moment' have been when kneeling over the porcelain altar with a bad case of tummy flu.

Since I like to read about meditation and consciousness, I had to acknowledge that I was really 'in the now' at that time.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,909,645 times
The mistake is that time is something you feel. You think time. You feel "anticipation" or "angst" or whatever in relation to your thinking of time.
If not, how does a second feel? It can feel many things, but what you feel isn't the second, it's those things which it can feel like. Long, short, suspenseful...whatever..

Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,909,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I can't remember the exact words but once Einstein was asked to explain relativity in a few simple words. His answer was something like this:

One second is a very short time if you are kissing a pretty girl and a very long time if you are sitting on a red hot stove.
That's funny, because right now it's like kissing the pretty girl was way too short a time, I can hardly remember it, but if I'd burn my hand, it'd seem relatively longer....but then again, it's all relative, right?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,167,417 times
When my mother died, time seemed to slow down for a while. I've never experienced such an awareness of every passing moment before.

She was in a coma for 18 days. It was the longest and fastest moment of my life at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or