U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM

651 posts, read 1,785,099 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,476 times
Hi folks

let me teach how to use.... per sŤ

per sŤ, mean in itself
se, mean if... take a look at the letter.. e

so if you write per se, it's not correct

Quote:

What have YOU determined is the meaning of life? Not the meaning of your life, per se, but the entire reason that life exists on this planet.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,181,098 times
Why do we humans keep asking what the 'meaning' of life is? Isn't meaning a constructed thing, anyway?

I think it boils down to whether you believe there's any more purpose to life than to live.

If it's all an accident, the meaning of life is just to live and pass on our genes ad infinitum, at least until we go extinct or the world ends.

If there's a God, perhaps it is to worship Him, or to experience the true reality.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,724,825 times
People like to create new things all the time. Why do we create things? Just because we like to. It's fun. It's fulfilling. When we learn to create life, will we create it? I bet we will. What will be the purpose of us creating life? Just because it's interesting! So those poor things we create (the new life forms) will ask us: what is the meaning of our life?
And we'll say: we created you just because we knew how to. And something inside of us compells us to produce things we know how to produce. Just because.

The nature of life is to create life. Life just wants to exist.

If there was no life at some point and then it just happend at one point, then the meaning is: life wants to exist. That's all.

If there was a God, and if he created life forms, then the reason he did it is because it's fun, it's something desirable. Why not? If you know how to, why wouldn't you? If God is considered a creator, then it would be natural for him to keep creating forevermore.

So the meaning of life is: to exist, to find fulfillment, to go on...

Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM

55,503 posts, read 74,405,087 times
to go boldly where no man has gone.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM

586 posts, read 803,630 times
I personally think the meaning of life is what we make of it. If you want life to have meaning. You give it meaning. If you don't you don't.

For me it's to take care of our planet and the inhabitants and to understand as much as I can about the universe and everything in it. (Then, when I have compiled all of my data, I will destroy everything. Just kidding.) Love should be thrown in there too.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM

280 posts, read 517,196 times
To always pick the "right" way, just the way nature does. Let the senses take in the information, but let the consciousness guide you.

The "purpose of life" itself will follow!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 AM

586 posts, read 803,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
MIRACLE- That is all I can say about life. It must be divinely created. We who are so infinitely small on an almost sub atomic level exist on less than a speck..This miracle is more than some lighting hitting some half formed bacteria cause by the accidental mix of chemicals..that evolved into humanity. GOD is much greater than we imagined...The primitives knew GOD was grand but had no idea how grand..With the advent of the Hubble telescope and space probes...we can now see the a small piece of the face of God...a few hairs on his chin....imagine what the whole body looks like...and beyond....It's a miracle....some thing generated us...there is no purpose..other than some supreme being having a little hobby on the side called EARTH.
It would be interesting to know what you and others would say if we find out there are Alien civilizations on other planets.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 AM

157 posts, read 142,770 times
Who says that life has to have "meaning", hmm? "Life is its own purpose, and the good is to live it". (Ayn Rand).

Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 AM

5,282 posts, read 4,386,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What have YOU determined is the meaning of life? Not the meaning of your life, per se, but the entire reason that life exists on this planet.

What is the ultimate point?

Note: This question is posed in Philosophy, NOT Religion . . .
There is no point. No meaning. Nothing. It just is; it's not a storybook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or