U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM

336 posts, read 281,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A course in anatomy can help one see the beauty of the complexity our bodies, along with an understanding of why our innards look like they do.
I would say a course in anatomy, objectively presented, cannot help but show that we are jury-rigged contraptions that only barely manage to function most of the time, are subject to all sorts of malfunctions and problems, and inevitably fail at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,224,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I would say a course in anatomy, objectively presented, cannot help but show that we are jury-rigged contraptions that only barely manage to function most of the time, are subject to all sorts of malfunctions and problems, and inevitably fail at some point.
Well mine has lasted through a considerable amount of abuse since 1940 and while it is on it's last leg, it still runs better than most remaining 1940 cars.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM

You spend as much money taking care of your car as you do taking care of your body and it will last a good deal longer.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,224,220 times
Quote:
You spend as much money taking care of your car as you do taking care of your body and it will last a good deal longer.
I never spend as much a a penny on health care. the only things I get health care for are the after effects of service connected injuries through the VA and that is for ongoing treatment of PTSD, Chronic pain management and constant replacement of prosthetic equipment. I refuse any medications or surgery. have not even taken an aspirin for over 30 years.

My cars get a more money spent on them.

I will admit I am a bit rough on cars, for over 40 years I have driven over 100,000 miles per year.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,332,197 times
Default 94% Water and Some Minerals

Quote:

God created man in his image. But like the androids in Blade Runner, we all have expiration dates.

Slap me if I wish for a better knee and back design; maybe amp-up the self repair feature? If insects and birds can see in the ultraviolet, why can't I? And "why o' why" do I have to be self aware, conscious of my mortality and not just live for the moment?

Appearances

What did the bartender say to the horse when it stepped up to the bar?

"Hey, buddy, why the long face?"

Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM

12,874 posts, read 15,357,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I guess I'm really talking about the inside of our bodies. It's all mushy and red and yellow, it's just so nasty in my opinion. It's not the blood or the bones that bother me, it's how the organs, muscles, fat etc look. I just find it so disturbing and depressing that even the most beautiful woman looks so hideous and frightening on the inside and that every person I look at physically speaking looks like a monster or a zombie under their skin.

If there is a God why did he make our bodies with such disgusting materials rather than just say filling them with water or fluff or something?
I'm the opposite, I find the human body (especially the inside) as fascinating, beautiful and absolutely marvelous...I don't understand how anyone could find the inner workings and organs of the human body as "hideous, and frightening", not at all...I stand in awe of such perfection, and am amazed at how long every organ continues to work for us, year after year..

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm the opposite, I find the human body (especially the inside) as fascinating, beautiful and absolutely marvelous...I don't understand how anyone could find the inner workings and organs of the human body as "hideous, and frightening", not at all...I stand in awe of such perfection, and am amazed at how long every organ continues to work for us, year after year..
So you find mushy orangey stuff beautiful?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,673,543 times
I'm a biologist so nothing about the inside of the human body seems "icky" to me - more like fascinating - but I do admit to chuckling sometimes when I see a young couple kissing on a bench, for example, and pretend all I can see is their skeletons. Then the whole act seems rather funny rather than romantic and tender.

And as a biologist, yes...we evolved this way because it works. No one waved a magic wand and created us. As one of my friends put it, who would purposely put a playground in between two sewage discharge systems in a human woman?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM

5,747 posts, read 4,618,025 times
Yeah! And why can't we smell like roses and peppermint?

I suggest you move this to the psychology thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I will admit I am a bit rough on cars, for over 40 years I have driven over 100,000 miles per year.
The fact is, by replacing worn out parts, a machine can last essentially forever; a human being can't.

Still, natural selection wires into all sentient things a desire to continue their present existence. This is simply because anything without such a desire is less likely to persist and will ultimately become extinct. For this reason human beings invent stories of life after death.

It also means that the pursuit of personal immortality will probably lead us to find technological fixes for our death problem. We may find the cause of the aging process and interfere with it, or we may find ways to maintain our mental existence artificially. Do not doubt that many people are working on this even now, when there is really nothing on the horizon.

This however is a distraction from my point that we are not well-designed, and certainly not elegantly designed. Natural selection is not smart, and not an artist. It is a blind process that chooses from what is available and what becomes available by chance. The end product cannot help but be a jury-rigged device. The only reason it works at all is that it has deep time available to it to back and fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or