Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that women seem to like/gravitate towards the city life whereas men can go either way and make a home out in the country...is it the social/shopping aspect perhaps or do they just have a shorter attention span and need more activity?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I know women who prefer rural life. I've never seen a gender proclivity one way or the other [shrug].

Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM

I'm referring to the majority;

Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Please provide data of cities where "the majority" of the people are women.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Well, it's difficult to answer your question when it is asked in this fashion. Perhaps asking 'if other folks seem to notice if women seem to prefer city life over country life' might be a question which will get more data for you to consider. Another point which makes answering the question difficult is after asking the question, a couple of (rather derogatory) possibilities are then suggested which will then side track folks so you aren't likely to get valid data.

This is the City-Data website, you could probably look up statistics and find the answer as to whether there are more males or females living in the city and the same for more rural areas. This would, however, only show you general trends. What each individual will do is an entirely different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've noticed that women seem to like/gravitate towards the city life whereas men can go either way and make a home out in the country...is it the social/shopping aspect perhaps or do they just have a shorter attention span and need more activity?...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM

That's why I posted it in the philosophy forum,since it's something I notice offhand rather than 'hard data'...but I'm willing to bet there are more women in cities;

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
That's why I posted it in the philosophy forum,since it's something I notice offhand rather than 'hard data'...but I'm willing to bet there are more women in cities;

You're incorrect. Somewhat. It varies by city. New York, Philadelphia, and Detroit have more women. Phoenix, San Francisco, Dallas, and Seattle have more men. So saying women are simply drawn to cities is not supported. For the record, I possess an XX chromosome set and I hate cities. I also hate shopping, possess excellent concentration, and avoid social situations when at all possible. Odd, I know.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
You're incorrect. Somewhat. It varies by city. New York, Philadelphia, and Detroit have more women. Phoenix, San Francisco, Dallas, and Seattle have more men. So saying women are simply drawn to cities is not supported. For the record, I possess an XX chromosome set and I hate cities. I also hate shopping, possess excellent concentration, and avoid social situations when at all possible. Odd, I know.
Those are only 6 cities...I've noticed for years that women have usually been drawn to cities,for the reasons I mentioned...

Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Those are only 6 cities...I've noticed for years that women have usually been drawn to cities,for the reasons I mentioned...

Yes, and those cities illustrate that whether women or men outnumbers the other is variable. So your premise (women outnumber men in cities) is flawed. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

Have you considered the fact that women outnumber men period? So perhaps what you're perceiving is simply that skewed ratio. Or perhaps you've been observing it in cities in which women do outnumber men...which just means you need to do more traveling.

Your question isn't a matter of opinion. Despite your 'observations', there are plenty of cities in which women don't outnumber men per the census bureau. I trust their observations more than yours.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
I was going to answer your question, but my attention wandered and I think I need to go shopping instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy