U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,366,744 times

Advertisements

I am still waiting for someone to say they can co-create their 3D reality and go on to show us by winning the Powerball lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Unlike you, I don't presume to speak for that which I don't understand. I could recruit Steven Weinberg, Lawrence Krauss, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose, Michio Kaku, and David Deutsch to speak on the subject, and I'm incredibly confident that the most significant lesson that would result is "Quantum physics is not well-understood at the moment." The entire universe may simply have resulted from a quantum fluctuation...great, but what does that teach us about how quantum physics actually operates? Barely anything, for that was one event, and could easily be an apocraphyl anecdote...scientists encourage larger sample sizes of data to be gathered for a reason, so that we cqan minimize the chances of concluding that a flukish abnoramlity is actually the norm for how the world operates.

I hate people who abuse "quantum physics" and try to use it in a disingenuous, self-centered way, and that is exactly what was done in this thread. The reality is that the universe is indifferent to our existence, and quantum physics is simply the frontier for determining the underpinnings of the beyond-absurd realm we inhabit. The implications CANNOT be interpreted in a pleasant way by anyone who takes the material seriously...neutral at best.

Physics is both incredibly significant (as physical explanations can account for literally everything that occurs in the universe...just wait till human consciousness is conceptualized materially) and entirely insignificant, since it demonstrates life to be a sham.

The highlighted is the impetus of your vitriolic response.

I never claimed to be any kind of EXPERT on the subject . . . one can introduce a concept and the following discussion can be enlightening . . .

Just because you don't "believe" there is any reason for our existence, doesn't make it so. I am not trying to convince you of my point-of-view and the same consideration would be appreciated. If this subject is not one of your liking, WHY would you not find something else more to your fancy? (Rhetorical in case it's not obvious).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or