Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times

Advertisements

Death is but a door. Time is but a window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 AM

859 posts, read 702,524 times
I can't understand well this thread but I would add something related with the title.
Imagine that the earth stopped moving and moon, sun,every these objects stopped,too

Then, Is there a TIME?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM

283 posts, read 507,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Time does not exist.
It is just a man-made measurment tool to cope with a begining and a end.

Really?

Then how come you have several clocks in your house and wear a wristwatch?
Why do you make sure you arrive at a certain time to a scheduled event? Or work? Why consult the TV listings to see when your favorite show is on? Why do certain holidays come around at the "same time" every year?

If there is only a beginning and an end as you say, then what separates them?

Time does. No time=no beginning or no end.

When is your birhday? To measureit in years is to denote the existence of time.

I equate the act of trying to discern whether or not time is real with mental masturbation.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
Of course it isn't "real." But, without it: chaos.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM

19,823 posts, read 13,361,179 times
An hour is still an hour, but depending on what's going on in that hour it can seem endless or way too short. But it's still an hour. And when your allotted hours are up, they're up.

Rather than reflect on whether time is real or illusory, it's probably best not to waste any of it.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Default Is time real or only in our minds?

Reality is alive and growing. It is constantly becoming. The astrophysicists would say it is expanding at an ever accelerating rate. We are part of it . . . but our consciousness requires some portion of that cosmic becoming to form what we consider our "instantaneous awareness." We are only able to measure what we call time using that instantaneous awareness. So our time is an artificial measure of the changes that inhere in the cosmic becoming we are a part of.

Because our awareness takes form through sequential neuronal activity in a resonant neural field . . . we experience cosmic becoming as a sequence of our "measured" time. We find ourselves in a confusing condition similar to a delayed broadcast. Our true consciousness exists and experiences cosmic becoming as it occurs in what we could call quantum time . . . but our time-delayed instantaneous awareness experiences it as a delayed replay through our brain. Bottom line: we have already experienced during cosmic becoming . . . what we think we are just now experiencing in our "measured" time.

So in that sense our time is an artifice . . . but it has its origins in cosmic becoming. The sequential nature of the formation of our instantaneous awareness also produces all our measures of time and space. The formation time (quantum time) for that sequential formation is what produces the constants we encounter in our measurements. This is why the Planck constant and the speed of light are directly related. They reflect the formation time of our true consciousness.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
time may change me, but I cant change time

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,762,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
time may change me, but I cant change time
In Soviet Russia time changes you!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 AM

658 posts, read 1,551,525 times
Both, and neither. Think about it.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,999,272 times
I think the perception or idea of time is a created thing in the sense of the fact that the only real moment there is is always "NOW". I suppose there is always change and we call it time. Time is a measurement necessary for scientists - so I guess in that sense it is real. What I find fascinating is that we must always move forward and cannot go backward in time. It's as if we are all going somewhere, but no one really knows where or why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy