U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,833,443 times

Advertisements

I often think of this when I see an old Volkswagen bug or hippie van on the road from the 1960s. Is time real? Or is it merely in our heads? Is New York City today a different place from the New York of 50 years ago in actuality.

I think time is real but in a totally different way from how we perceive it. I think all times co-exist simultaneously but we're only capable of perceiving a small chunk of time (I've heard 3 seconds) at any given 'moment'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,833,443 times
What's strange to me is that a couple minutes ago, or even a couple years ago, doesn't feel like the past to me, but the 1980s for example do. A little bit of time change seems not to matter but once you accumulate about 10 years, films of that time start to seem outdated.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,219,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What's strange to me is that a couple minutes ago, or even a couple years ago, doesn't feel like the past to me, but the 1980s for example do. A little bit of time change seems not to matter but once you accumulate about 10 years, films of that time start to seem outdated.
A strange thing occurs as we age. We reach a point when past memories become more vivid than current ones. I can recall events from the 1940s much clearer than those of last week. I guess it is part of the winding down process as we enter our twi-light years.

But time is not an entity, it is a measurement of relation. In my opinion there is not such "thing" as time. It is a mathematical function much like a number. The number two does not exist as an object, but two oranges can exist.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,013,974 times
It's real. Even snails are aware of time, since they can be taught and remember what they were taught, so one event must have occurred before the other. To dispute that, you'd have to argue that the snails are in our minds, too.

However, one can argue that there cannot be time if there is no present, and the present is only an interface between the past and the future, neither of which exist, and the interface has a linear dimension of zero, so it does not exist, either. But then neither does space. Put the palms of your hands together, and there will be an interface between them, which has a dimension of zero, so does not really exist, it only appears to exist because we can define its location.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,219,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's real. Even snails are aware of time, since they can be taught and remember what they were taught, so one event must have occurred before the other. To dispute that, you'd have to argue that the snails are in our minds, too.

However, one can argue that there cannot be time if there is no present, and the present is only an interface between the past and the future, neither of which exist, and the interface has a linear dimension of zero, so it does not exist, either. But then neither does space. Put the palms of your hands together, and there will be an interface between them, which has a dimension of zero, so does not really exist, it only appears to exist because we can define its location.
The snails relate the sequence of events. That is a measurement not a "thing". What we call time is the relation of one thing to another. It is a mathematical function not an entity. If only one object existed, there would be no time as the object would not be related to anything else.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM

10,451 posts, read 15,432,427 times
Time does not exist. It is figment of human mind, created for human convenience.

Nature without humanity has no time. Nature does not care about "time" as such.

What you have in Nature is change in relationship between bodily masses and development and accomplishment of certain processes. But those are measured in accomplishments, and not in seconds or eons.

Problem is - everything in Nature is exteriorization of human thoughts. Hence, without humanity, Nature would have been nothing but amorphous mass of Substance and Matter. Everlasting and never changing. Human thoughts are the motive factor for its "development".

There is only one reality - NOW. NOW is expression of combined exteriorizations of all human thoughts and is ever changing, in accordance to the Law of Thought, as the principle, fundamental Law of Everything. There is no "time" measure for now, as NOW is instant, and humanity can not come up with a "time" measure infinitesimal enough to measure it. NOW is infinitesimally instantaneous yet, at the same "time" (sorry, no better words to use), is unmeasurably "long", in temporal meaning, as it is eternal, as it IS. Imagine an infinitely sharp, down to "nothing" blade, that is cutting through the eternal matter and substance, ever changing it into REALITY. That's my best description of NOW. The infinitely small point of contact between eternals, with human thoughts being that cutting edge.

There is no "past", as there is no human thoughts that transgress into past. "Future" is nothing but a combined "design" of what NOW is to come, resting on the form plane of the physical world. That "design" manifests itself in physical exteriorizations of NOW, as permitted by the Law of Thought.

Be well.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,013,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If only one object existed, there would be no time as the object would not be related to anything else.
If time did not exist, then it would be possible for only one object to exist. But that universe does not exist, it is only in your mind. It is invalid to use a non-existent universe, about which we can describe only one property, to prove a hypothesis about an existent one. It tells us nothing about a familiar universe that does exist.

You have made up a non-existent universe to prove a property of an existent one. You are saying "Time does not exist in an imaginary universe in my mind, therefore time does not exist in a real one."

Last edited by jtur88; 12-24-2012 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,560,331 times
One theory is that Time is simply another dimension, also continuously expanding just as Space is. Albeit it's a dimension that our linear conscious mind is only able to process sequentially, a bit at a time... while our non-linear unconscious side actually has access to the rest, which also explains why dreams and mystical states have a quality of being ''timeless'', with everything happening simultaneously (aka, the Universe as a Great Thought, instead of a Great Machine).

Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,165,977 times
It may seem counter-intuitive to some, but I believe time is an objective property of the universe that can be measured, as Einstein demonstrated with the concept of 'Space-Time' and his Special Theory of Relativity. This, however, is a strange entity - and stranger still if you add quantum physics into the mix. I do, however, believe that there is 'subjective' time and that it relates to the speed the brain processes information. Now the brain is part of the natural world, so isn't completely separate from it, but the question remains: do minds conceive of the universe, does consciousness beget matter, or did matter beget consciousness? This, I think, is the essential rift between any theistic position (including deism) and materialism/pure atheism. Like the old riddle about the tree falling in the forest, does time exist if there is nobody there to perceive it? I believe there always has been SOMEONE there to experience it, but that God himself is beyond time but can 'enter' the timespace or space-time dimension. We cannot imagine timelessness or infinity because our brains operate on the plane of time, so I think we are moving along with the universe in an entropic downward spiral, and time IS change. We're not advanced enough to step 'outside' of space-time.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,357,104 times
Einstein's Theory of Relativity simplified:

If you're 2 years old and your parents say to wait until you're 3 for a tricycle, that's half your life as you measure time.

But if you're 80, a year flies by because it's only 1/80th of your life.

Time is relative to the observer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy