Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,141,808 times

Advertisements

Your life purpose should change as you age. Otherwise, you are going to be very unhappy at times.

Right now, my husband and I are OLD! His purpose in life is to take care of his semi-handcapped wife. My only purpose is to give him something to do with his time. It's working out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,273,703 times
Our purpose in life is to gather as much information and information processes possible that leads to our success and longevity and pass that on to our society and children. In doing that you will gain value and give value.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Spencer View Post
I'm not entirely sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but it seemed like it fit in well here.

I've always been interested in hearing what people think their purpose is in life? It seem's like a lot of people have different views. A religious person has a different view than someone who isn't religious. Something that I've always felt most people thought, but never had the courage to say was having kids. Or maybe just the idea of leaving something behind, and to most the best way to do that is have kids. Although that's not someones sole purpose, it's usually in their answer somewhere.

I'm just interested in peoples opinions on what our purpose is in life, or what do you believe is your own personal purpose?
Mine is more of a religious perspective: I believe that my main purpose here is to "learn lessons". I consider earth a school of hard knocks to prepare us for what's on the other side. I also think that we have an obligation to earn happiness in the midst of earthly challenges.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,682,483 times
My purpose is to make as much money as possible. You only live once and you only have one opportunity to use what you do make.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM

26 posts, read 49,148 times
I think this is quite an interesting topic as people of different age live in perpetual indecision regarding the purpose of life.
If one is clear about their purpose it becomes all the more easier to paint the canvas of life well on time & pursue other things.I asked a person known to me about his purpose & he was blank.It's like driving your car without knowing the destination.
On the other hand there are people who are clear in their mind about what they want in life,which means everyday you get up in the morning you have something definite to chase.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM

719 posts, read 469,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbrown966 View Post
I think this is quite an interesting topic as people of different age live in perpetual indecision regarding the purpose of life.
If one is clear about their purpose it becomes all the more easier to paint the canvas of life well on time & pursue other things.I asked a person known to me about his purpose & he was blank.It's like driving your car without knowing the destination.
On the other hand there are people who are clear in their mind about what they want in life,which means everyday you get up in the morning you have something definite to chase.
I really don't know what my purpose is. I'm a bit like the driver who just is driving to an unknown destination.

I thought of being a monk, but not in a traditional sense. I don't find happiness in big money, houses, cars, chasing women, meaningless sex, competing, sports, etc. I just want a simple life and breathe fresh air. I want to be kind and loving, but when someone shares different values from you, it's hard to reconcile yourself to that person, even if they are nice and decent people.

All the things of the world shall come to pass, but the soul remains forever. Perhaps it's my soul that needs my attention.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM

132 posts, read 188,016 times
My purpose in life is to truly master myself.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
What's your purpose in life?

To serve as a warning to others.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM

93 posts, read 196,648 times
I tend to think of purpose as mission or what is my essential raison d'etre. Some may scoff, but I can honestly say I have understood since I entered this plane that there is a context for this life that is independent of the layers of so-called reality. For me to live in context requires striving to maintain connection to Source. Source is not bound by any human definitions.

There are many means to attempt to achieve this purpose, and these means ought to change at various stages in the journey if one is responsive. My essential mission is to be a blessing to each one and everything I encounter along the journey. Perhaps that best translates as attempting to seek out the best in others and acknowledge it, to be peace, to be love, to be joy, to be serene, to do so while treading as lightly along the way in every way possible, and to do so authentically. To live within the space instead of my filling it. Some days this is easier hoped than done. Those days, stan4 is correct if not on target.

And I so agree with le roi that some seem to live as if they are the center of their own universe if not all the other universes. That said, I challenge le roi's overall thrust that there is no driving purpose other than to get up until one doesn't as that is insufficient for me to get up and flies in the face of what I arrived knowing. At the essence of my journey, I am compelled to bless everyone and everything as it is Source.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,991,144 times
I'm currently in a transition because for a long time I felt my purpose in life was to be in service to others in some way and the way I chose to do this was through nursing. I wanted to give of myself.

BUT, I don't want to be in service to others and I don't feel it's through nursing, per se, that I've found my calling anymore.

I feel I tend to enjoy my life the most when I'm on an adventure. So I tend to fancy myself an experimenter or observer, someone who's always paying attention to people's behavior, reactions, and patterns in life. And because I'm an observer, I feel I'm always shapeshifting so as to best adapt to my environment.

But right now, I'm in transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy