U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,110,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Spencer View Post
I'm not entirely sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but it seemed like it fit in well here.

I've always been interested in hearing what people think their purpose is in life? It seem's like a lot of people have different views. A religious person has a different view than someone who isn't religious. Something that I've always felt most people thought, but never had the courage to say was having kids. Or maybe just the idea of leaving something behind, and to most the best way to do that is have kids. Although that's not someones sole purpose, it's usually in their answer somewhere.

I'm just interested in peoples opinions on what our purpose is in life, or what do you believe is your own personal purpose?

Any opinion is appreciated!
To perhaps propagate my genes, perhaps not, but affect the propagation of others' genes in ways unimaginable.

That's it.

Life is purposeless from a human teleological perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,854,103 times
I have a lot of satisfying purpose in my life. Here is a brief list for where I find purpose:

1. Hobbies/Interests

2. High Quality Entertainment/Where I Find Excitement

3. Living and Traveling in Various Places All over the World

4. College Education and Career

5. Friends/Relationships/Social Networking/Family

6. Being Well Organized and Spontaneous

7. Finding Balance in Most Areas of Life

8. Being A Valuable Member and Contributor to Society.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:05 PM

175 posts, read 227,655 times
I'm not sure if my life has purpose or if life in general has purpose. The more I search for it the more it eludes me. So at this point...I'm just trying to enjoy the ride!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 AM

18,367 posts, read 23,547,048 times
if you look at the animal kingdom, the purpose is to pro-create and protect/raise the young, til they are on their own..

being humans , we may have a higher purpose, in fact, we can create our own destinies and assist in the destinies of others.
we have luxuries - we are beyond "survival mode" meaning shelter, food, etc,

we strive for self esteem, security, good health, but we also look out for the well being of others, and as a society, we have many programs to assist the "challenged" which is good

the problem i have with questions like these is- we have the capability, to be the most benevolent , open, free society in human history, yet it takes the cooperation of all, and there will always be a certain percentage who refuse to contribute
- we have prisons loaded with criminals who tried to take advanatage of others, and who are insane.

we also have a government filled with fraud and is corrupt.

the purpose of life- on a basic level, yes to pro-create, beyond that...its to strive for security, longevity , and self esteem
often, parents' goals are for their kids to get opportunities they never had-go to college

Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM

22,764 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if you look at the animal kingdom, the purpose is to pro-create and protect/raise the young, til they are on their own..

being humans , we may have a higher purpose, in fact, we can create our own destinies and assist in the destinies of others.
we have luxuries - we are beyond "survival mode" meaning shelter, food, etc,

we strive for self esteem, security, good health, but we also look out for the well being of others, and as a society, we have many programs to assist the "challenged" which is good

the problem i have with questions like these is- we have the capability, to be the most benevolent , open, free society in human history, yet it takes the cooperation of all, and there will always be a certain percentage who refuse to contribute
- we have prisons loaded with criminals who tried to take advanatage of others, and who are insane.

we also have a government filled with fraud and is corrupt. (and who try to take advantage of others and who are insane.)

the purpose of life- on a basic level, yes to pro-create, beyond that...its to strive for security, longevity , and self esteem
often, parents' goals are for their kids to get opportunities they never had-go to college
Fixed that for ya.

As for purpose in life...who knows. What about those of us who choose not to procreate?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,359,957 times
Purposes change throughout our lives. My current purpose is to get my young adult children to be financially independent (of me).

Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,447,060 times
To explore. That's my purpose in life.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,294,416 times
Learn what I can

Share what I have

Try to leave what I touch in life, better than when I used it

Overcome the trials of life

Know my life is just a fleeting moment and be prepared for it to end

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM

21,482 posts, read 14,398,691 times
I would like to create one lasting object that still has value long after I'm gone.

I procreated, so whether my lineage continues on is up to my kids, but I've been a creative person all my life, and while my objective may have been partially met already, I've yet to create something that has given me the feeling that it's the real deal when it comes to an heirloom.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM

15 posts, read 15,444 times
I have no idea wish someone will tell me so i wont feel so darn lost in life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy