U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM

257 posts, read 248,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
... "what is your meaning"--... I believe my life would have a purpose if I could some how give some sort of inspiration to others, ....
I just came upon this thread and have not read all responses yet. I have been thinking about this questions lately. My guess is, entering a new phase of my life initiated the redefinition of "purpose".

As I see it, life involves constant change. We can predict the "likelihood" of something occuring, but can never be certain of the future. Yet, when "purpose" and "meaning" are used, those words often imply consistency, stability, permanence, completeness, to be self-actualized (what ever that means), or to be "fulfilled". As if there is a "right" direction, and if we don't define "it", we are incomplete. So, life and meaning/purpose are contradictory.

At this time, I equate "purpose" with goals - something to direct my activities, energies towards. Satisfaction from working on the goals can be intrinsic or extrinsic and the goals are unique to each of us. I think most people are happier with [some] goals because they meet a need, support a value, or increase self-worth. Not everyone needs goals - some of us are comfortable with uncertainty, or a combination of both. I also think we present ourselves with a lot of pressure to "do" something meaninful.

As life changes, so will goals. Goals will change over time either because they are reached, or opportunities change, or needs change, or values cange, or unforeseen and uncontrollable obstacles get in the way, etc. ... There can be multiple goals in play at any given time. Purpose is focusing our energy on some future accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM

354 posts, read 245,453 times
Quote:
What's your purpose in life?
Whatever I make it to be. There however people who allow others to make or impose purpose in their lives. I feel sorry for such people.

Edit: Ultimately, our "purpose" in life is imposed upon us by our biology and environment, as much as some people would like to believe otherwise.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,063,853 times
To be wiser tomorrow than I am today, just in case there turns out to be a discernible purpose in life that I can apply to the unfolding developments. Since I thought of that myself, and didn't just repeat something I heard before, I feel like I have at least in part fulfilled today's purpose.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,433,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
You see clearly!

There is nothing more beautiful than letting the world know who you are. And sometimes it takes more courage than it does than getting into a cage with a tiger.
lol Thank you.

For a long time I thought I was to be in "service" to something as it seemed as though everyone around me felt the call to "serve". But I never really felt that call. I didn't get joy from volunteering, I didn't feel called to "worship" which was the purpose I was told I was put here for, the joy I got didn't come from those things. I like talking to people about their lives and hearing their stories. I like telling my story and communicating through various mediums. It's fun! Not being able to do that makes me feel like a tiger in a cage lol

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,087,150 times
I don't know. I feel I have no purpose.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,659,571 times
This is to me probably the ultimate question in life. I have spent hours over several years really pondering this question. Why am I here? Where do I belong? What exactly is the meaning of life? Will I ever figure it out? It is frustrating because at times it almost feels like life is hard work and then you die. Hate to be a downer about it. I do wonder. I have never done any illegal drugs but I do wonder if people use them to help escape the reality of life. Maybe we just get this one shot and once it is gone it is gone. Thanks for letting me share. My mom bought me a book about finding your purpose. I want my life to matter, to have meaning and I realize I have to give it all those things.

Charlie.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM

933 posts, read 1,202,010 times
I honestly don't think that, until death, we know. When we are about to die, or possibly right after dying (depending on religious beliefs), it will dawn on us why we are here on earth. But, it is not right to name our purpose in life without having experienced a full life first.

Just my thoughts.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,675,666 times
To make sure this is my last rodeo on planet earth!

But during my journey here I will learn as much as I am capable and lend my helping hand where ever I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy