Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,840 times

Advertisements

I'm not entirely sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but it seemed like it fit in well here.

I've always been interested in hearing what people think their purpose is in life? It seem's like a lot of people have different views. A religious person has a different view than someone who isn't religious. Something that I've always felt most people thought, but never had the courage to say was having kids. Or maybe just the idea of leaving something behind, and to most the best way to do that is have kids. Although that's not someones sole purpose, it's usually in their answer somewhere.

I'm just interested in peoples opinions on what our purpose is in life, or what do you believe is your own personal purpose?

Any opinion is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Opinions are like belly buttons, you know that.
I am information collector. This is my personal ultimate purpose. Call it mental food, if you want to.
Let me expand it a little bit.
There are four types of humans:
1. laborers
2. traders
3. thinkers
4. knowers.
Laborers exist to satisfy their senses.
Traders exist to satisfy desire for gain.
Thinkers exist to know how things operate and to make them operate.
Knowers have some knowledge of how everything really is.
I am thinker.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Spencer View Post

I've always been interested in hearing what people think their purpose is in life?
It's not that complicated.

Wyld Stallyns #1 : Be Excellent To Each Other - YouTube

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
There is no purpose to my existence other than what I choose for it. And often, existence is at cross-purposes to my chosen purposes. I think of it like a driverless steam roller, relentlessly moving along, and god help me if it crosses my chosen path.

So in the end my purpose is whatever I decide it is until something or someone messes that up and I start all over again and come up with a new plan.

Next question?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There is no purpose to my existence other than what I choose for it.
Actually that is what a prosecutor would call a lesser included purpose. It is unavoidable that we must choose our purpose . . . but that does not negate the fact that we do ultimately have one. Our success or failure in discerning it and achieving it will determine our fate during the next phase of existence, IMO.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually that is what a prosecutor would call a lesser included purpose. It is unavoidable that we must choose our purpose . . . but that does not negate the fact that we do ultimately have one. Our success or failure in discerning it and achieving it will determine our fate during the next phase of existence, IMO.
You posit that there is a "given" or "destined" purpose to be aligned with. You seem to be suggesting that the "giver" of this purpose hides it and expects you to find it, or suffer the consequences, ranging from temporal unhappiness at being unfulfilled, to (depending on your exact theology) eternal damnation, reincarnating as a rock, being made to try over and over until you get it right, and I suppose somewhere in the world, someone teaches that you will be placed in an armlock and given a never-ending Dutch rub.

To me what fits the facts of the case better is that you have a particular set of strengths and interests, and you do your best to find a way to use them for the good of all, without barking your shins too much in the process. Then you die. The end.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
I think relationship, and love, though not all relationships involve or include 'love'; is a major purpose, or desire, in life. I think through relationship we learn about ourselves, gain wisdom, knowledge, maturity, etc, etc. And I think children and being 'excellent to each other' is certainly part of it. I don't know if I fit into the 'laborer' or 'thinker' category - I like doing both.

I like working (or I've found a purpose in it), not so much for the content of the work itself, but for the gratification of accomplishing things, helping people, working with people, solving problems, and getting me up and going each day. (And, I guess I like to eat and have a roof overhead!) I think work brings with it 'forced' relationships - and that's mostly a good thing, even if it's learning to work through a difficult situation or with a difficult person. IE, I know my co-workers better than my neighbors.

I got a surprise call from a supervisor of 25+ years ago, just last night. She works at a Univ of CA campus, M-I-L-E-S from the one I work at. She happened to see my name in some documents - had no idea I also worked at UC, and she gave me a call. We reminisced about the TWO years we worked together (that felt like TEN) - opening a major amusement park - working in HR/Payroll together. It was a huge job, and we, along with others, worked our (younger) tails off to 'make it happen'. I feel really close to her, though I went on to work at other jobs much, much longer. That was the biggest job I ever took on (and sometimes I feel 'stupid' for having worked so hard - I 'bumped into' my limits!) -- but we got along well, held each other up, and, I don't know, but we also formed a bond through all the madness, that, in an instant, seemed to take up where it left off some 25 years ago.

I don't know - but relationships seem kind of amazing and key to me, and there's some kind of/level of love, or frustration if a lack thereof (kids, family, or relatives, or a friendship gone sour), in most of what we call relationships. I think relationship leaves a 'mark' on those we 'leave behind' - hopefully for the better. And helps us to 'get along' and enjoy life, while we're still here.

Meaning and purpose - and relationship is in there somewhere!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Spencer View Post
I'm not entirely sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but it seemed like it fit in well here.

I've always been interested in hearing what people think their purpose is in life? It seem's like a lot of people have different views. A religious person has a different view than someone who isn't religious. Something that I've always felt most people thought, but never had the courage to say was having kids. Or maybe just the idea of leaving something behind, and to most the best way to do that is have kids. Although that's not someones sole purpose, it's usually in their answer somewhere.

I'm just interested in peoples opinions on what our purpose is in life, or what do you believe is your own personal purpose?

Any opinion is appreciated!

To me, purpose is closely associated with meaning, so I'm taking the question as "what is your meaning"--and hoping that if there is any variance it is not so great so as to ruin the discussion. For me I've found that life would hardly be worth living if I did not have something to live for, something to hope for, something to work toward, some sort of hope. Now I'm not a very sociable person; a good deal of my time is spent in reading books, and then writing sometimes too. I have a hope, which I feel is a long way off, something long-term I suppose; but in the interim--ah, how dull would it be were it not for these people whom I've discovered through these books--these varied and rich personalities who have given such flavor to my life! I believe they inspire me, in some fashion; perhaps just to live. I believe my life would have a purpose if I could some how give some sort of inspiration to others, though I'm at a loss of how to do such a thing. I'm no great person, I've no particularly exceptional talent; I hardly know a handful of people I can call friends. But ah--what a life these people I'm more or less becoming to know had, and they were hardly anything different than you or I. Well, it would be something, really--for these people have given *me* such meaning; it would be so gratifying to somehow pass some of it along. I guess my purpose then is to share what I've learned with others, whatever may come of it.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You posit that there is a "given" or "destined" purpose to be aligned with. You seem to be suggesting that the "giver" of this purpose hides it and expects you to find it, or suffer the consequences, ranging from temporal unhappiness at being unfulfilled, to (depending on your exact theology) eternal damnation, reincarnating as a rock, being made to try over and over until you get it right, and I suppose somewhere in the world, someone teaches that you will be placed in an armlock and given a never-ending Dutch rub.
You add a lot of unnecessary human speculation and angst-producing outcomes to what is a much more straight-forward situation. We are to develop the independent consciousness that is obviously the progenitor of all consciousness. It is independent because it cannot be dependent on anything else. We must emulate that. It is creative as evidenced by our reality . . . in spades. So we must be creative as well. My personal experience of it tells me it is unconditionally loving and accepting . . . so I believe we must also achieve that state of mind. You are missing that last piece of personal experience so YMMV.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM

652 posts, read 874,190 times
My purpose was to remind Scandinavia of the Norse gods. When the god from the bible and his Christ son battle Odin and Thor, it will not be a happy ending for the blessed mother. The Roman empire belongs to Hera and Diana. Hera's most trusted advisor was Themis, she knew what was right in the world. Her daughter **** should fear the wrath of Hera.

I was supposed to be a science fiction writer but nobody would give me a book deal. I used to say that when I leave this world I wanted to be hated because of my intelligence but never forgotten. As I got older I realized living a life of complete anonymity was my purpose. Christopher Lasch wrote "The Minimal Self" featuring minds like Isaac Asimov and Thomas Pynchon who is still alive today. With elite schools and egos beyond reproach, it's better they do not know I exist.

In the end most of the gods will lose all their power because of this failed worlds. The one that has the most to lose is the one god who believed the bible was true to begin with. The god of the bible is a god to end the world with. It's in his book of revelations. That is how he shows his love for this world he believes he created. This world comes down to the idea of original sin and the final solution to deal with it. They blame the innocent, victims and the messenger to protect their secrets which will end up destroying the earth.

If I titled the book "The Book Of Life" "The Makers Mark" or "The Sins Of The Father" which one would be correct? The answer is nun, because this world relies on a claiming father and mother who created nothing to begin with. They steal the work of others using technology to feel godlike.

In the end, my purpose in this world was to serve no purpose whatsoever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy