Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM

736 posts, read 484,858 times

Advertisements

Mastering a few foreign languages; living in a calm and serene place (in a Japanese garden? lol); traveling the world; staying clear of rednecks/snobs/religious nuts; learning how to be fully comfortable with yourself around others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Asking me that question is like trying to assess the chemical compounds of a hand full of dirt,grain by grain.
I see life as an adventure ,grant you some days are more adventurous than others never the less I see life as a test.
Not just the idea of passing a test just to say been there done that,but to implament the things I learn and press the knowledge in with expirence .
I have welcomed many different jobes in my lifetime that all have some controbution one way or another to other things I do down the line .
As a Christian , my focus is to prefir God teach me,more than man ,,and I have to say I like the advantage. Not going to expain it to nay sayers, they havent a chance, and I'm not in an arguing mood.
Currenty I have inherited a mess I am compelled to clean up ,not wishing to leave it to my son to clean up.
I have a particularly creative mind ,and in some cases even willing to make an investment in an education doing an expiriment.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
My purpose in life is to manifest love in the world. I'm not doing it very well lately because I've been too focused on my desire to "be loved" lately. I was happier when I was more focused on giving and showing love. I become disillusioned when I turn my focus inward and begin to "want" what I perceive I'm not getting, namely, human love and affection. I suppose it is a legitimate need though or I would not feel deprived.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually that is what a prosecutor would call a lesser included purpose. It is unavoidable that we must choose our purpose . . . but that does not negate the fact that we do ultimately have one. Our success or failure in discerning it and achieving it will determine our fate during the next phase of existence, IMO.
There is no purpose to life beyond the brute Darwinian purpose of gene propagation. Anything we tell ourselves regarding "purpose" is either self-deception or genuine ignorance about the workings of this vast, meaningless universe. I fret for the day when I'm no longer able to deceive myself effectively enough to endure.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 AM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
I choose to delude myself with a purpose that includes a comfortable home with room enough for my musical enjoyments, entertainment hangups, and other societal constructs that I happen to enjoy. I enjoy a woman's company as well, but let's just call that biological.
In any case, though, I can both know what it really is, and still enjoy the activity. I don't really need a purpose to come from some inner part of some inexplicable part of my "soul" to get the most out of life.
And when I have children and start caring about them more than all the things above, I'll know that is also biological, yet it doesn't change anything about how I'll feel.

The real purpose is only consequential to the function of the system. It is not consequential to the benefits of that system.

I don't have to toil in despair because I know that meaning is a human abstraction. I can both know that it is, and be appreciative of its effects. I think of it as having my cake and eating it too.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
Pain and suffering is as real as could be required.....therefore the consequences can only be real as well...otherwise there would be no interconnecting the two without a recognizable common ground (reason)in the experience of life. So...what are consequence's and how are they arrived at...for the most part mental fitness bereft of pain is all about virtue , hope and so on. So logically there is a reality in individual mental flourish and the properties of virtue. Meaning complies and is within evolution itself...they cannot be separated relative to man and belong alongside each other for comfort in harmony, peace, all that...individual and species survival...trapped, man is trapped in reason all about meaning. These states are then understood to be real and most likely represented in some grandiose way. Nothing seems to be without an irreducible focus

Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
There is no purpose to life beyond the brute Darwinian purpose of gene propagation. Anything we tell ourselves regarding "purpose" is either self-deception or genuine ignorance about the workings of this vast, meaningless universe. I fret for the day when I'm no longer able to deceive myself effectively enough to endure.
You might consider the absence of given purpose in a more positive light. You are implying that a given purpose would be beneficial. Well, it would also not be YOUR purpose that you have CHOSEN. It is freeing to lead a "purposeless" existence -- freedom from being second-guessed or judged, freedom from being obliged to support some alien agenda.

You also needn't over-complicate matters. My purpose right now is to write this post. And to scratch my dog behind the ears every now and then. It suffices. It is not necessary to have a heroic starring role in a galactic drama to feel fulfilled. It is not necessary to take life seriously. It is okay to laugh at its absurdity.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You might consider the absence of given purpose in a more positive light. You are implying that a given purpose would be beneficial. Well, it would also not be YOUR purpose that you have CHOSEN. It is freeing to lead a "purposeless" existence -- freedom from being second-guessed or judged, freedom from being obliged to support some alien agenda.

You also needn't over-complicate matters. My purpose right now is to write this post. And to scratch my dog behind the ears every now and then. It suffices. It is not necessary to have a heroic starring role in a galactic drama to feel fulfilled. It is not necessary to take life seriously. It is okay to laugh at its absurdity.
Boy, did you ever say a mouthful!

People worry too much about fulfulling dreams, being liked and popular, worrying meticulously about what others think, and last but not least, accumulating wealth. When you learn to live life in the moment, you aren't as trapped by illusions (illusions = all those things you "think" you need to be happy).

All that said, it is great to have goals, but not "dreams". Dreams prevent us from being happy? "That can't be", you say. I say, "Yes, it is."

Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
joy and peace and normality.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
joy and peace and normality.
Sounds good.

(I cannot stand noise pollution).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy