Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTaTHEIST View Post
I could also have missed your definition.

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere. It's possible for a non-believer to be religious, however, it would be very difficult for one to be scrupulously and conscientiously faithful to a philosophical position, which is simply antithetical to another and especially when that position involves belief.

I ask this in all sincerity. How would one go about being scrupulously and conscientiously faithful to non-belief in something? It's certainly possible for a non-believer to apply those qualifiers to something else in their life (family, friends, non-god-based religions like Buddhism or work for instance), but it seems there's little if nothing to be scrupulously and conscientiously faithful about atheism. This becomes very clear when you consider most atheists reject faith (believing in something without demonstrable evidence) altogether.

Well I was saying that you can be scrupulous and conscientiously faithful to playing a sport, a community, etc and it isn't about the existence or the nonexistence of a deity. You don't have to believe or not believe in a God in order to be faithful to those things. Those might be the things that that individual is scrupulously and conscientiously faithful to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM

141 posts, read 435,154 times
Similar question: what if it's neither false nor true but is affirmative?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM

354 posts, read 304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Well I was saying that you can be scrupulous and conscientiously faithful to playing a sport, a community, etc and it isn't about the existence or the nonexistence of a deity. You don't have to believe or not believe in a God in order to be faithful to those things. Those might be the things that that individual is scrupulously and conscientiously faithful to.
I don't disagree with the idea here, only the word you again choose to describe the phenomenon. I would use the word commitment instead of faithful, but it's a very minor nit-pick. So yes, people can be "scrupulously and conscientiously committed" to just about any activity. I like writing for instance, so using that definition, you could say I write religiously.

What I'm not however is theistically religious. And generally when a person says, "I am religious", they're actually saying, "I am theistically religious", because that's the common usage of the word. To say you're religious about something other than god belief requires further clarification.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,990 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with the idea here, only the word you again choose to describe the phenomenon. I would use the word commitment instead of faithful, but it's a very minor nit-pick. So yes, people can be "scrupulously and conscientiously committed" to just about any activity. I like writing for instance, so using that definition, you could say I write religiously.

What I'm not however is theistically religious. And generally when a person says, "I am religious", they're actually saying, "I am theistically religious", because that's the common usage of the word. To say you're religious about something other than god belief requires further clarification.
notatheist, you would use the word "commitment" as opposed to "faithful" because you have a dislike for the word "faith". But the two can easily be used interchangeably.

I can tell you're not theistically religious. lol But connotation doesn't always represent denotation but the question does ask who here is religious (irrelevant of theism or atheism) and the examples I used are the reasons as to why i think it's possible to be.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
notatheist, you would use the word "commitment" as opposed to "faithful" because you have a dislike for the word "faith". But the two can easily be used interchangeably.
I don't dislike the word so much as I dislike what faith generally represents in our population; believing in things without demonstrable reasons. As such, I would not use it when describing myself or my activities.

Quote:
I can tell you're not theistically religious. lol
I would hope so as it's right there in my forum name

Quote:
But connotation doesn't always represent denotation but the question does ask who here is religious (irrelevant of theism or atheism) and the examples I used are the reasons as to why i think it's possible to be.
From the loosest possible definition of the word, we are all religious. But then, doesn't the word loose any real meaning if it's applied freely to everyone? I'm going to assume something here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're probably a Christian god believer? Now, I could call you "atheistic". Would you like that? Probably not even though it's true, because you've probably rejected countless god concepts only to arrive at one. Rejecting those concepts makes you atheistic towards those gods just as I'm atheistic towards all gods.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Now, I could call you "atheistic". Would you like that? Probably not even though it's true, because you've probably rejected countless god concepts only to arrive at one. Rejecting those concepts makes you atheistic towards those gods just as I'm atheistic towards all gods.
That's really interesting, I've never thought about it that way before: that probably most people are atheisitic in some sense because they're atheisitic towards either all gods or towards all except the one they believe in [I suppose this would exclude pantheists perhaps--my understanding (which is limited since I've done hardly any research on it) is that they believe in all of them?]. It definitely makes sense to me.

I enjoyed reading what you said here:

Quote:
Not knowing if something exists is not the same thing as believing something does exist. If you are willing to hold open the possibility that a god could exist (I am one of these people, but the word needs to be specifically defined first) and yet do not hold an active belief that a god does exist, then your are not a theist (atheist).

Ask yourself this simple question. Do I actively believe a god exists?

Yes = theist
No = atheist

It's pretty simple stuff.

I might add, most (perhaps all) people don't actually know if a god exists, although many claim they do. They believe a god exists and have faith in that belief in spite of having no evidence to support it. Most (perhaps all) god belief exists because of internal experience (emotions/feelings/psychosis) they're interpreting to be the influence of a god.
This is very much the way I feel about it. It's nice to see someone else have such a similar perspective; sometimes I feel I'm much alone out here (though I'm sure that's probably not true).

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab
That's really interesting, I've never thought about it that way before: that
probably most people are atheisitic in some sense because they're atheisitic
towards either all gods or towards all except the one they believe in [I suppose
this would exclude pantheists perhaps--my understanding (which is limited since
I've done hardly any research on it) is that they believe in all of them?].
I'm happy you find what I write interesting. Pantheists generally think of nature as a god. Polytheists hold a belief in multiple gods. The most notable, modern polytheistic religion would be Hinduism. Some theists (I've been hearing this a ton from Christians lately) want to suggest all god concepts point to the same god. I don't believe this is even remotely true, even though I would suggest all god concepts are anthropogenic (human created).

I can't take complete credit for my comparison above. It was actually derived from this quote.
Quote:
“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do.
When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours.” —Stephen F Roberts
Quote:
This is very much the way I feel about it. It's nice to see someone else have
such a similar perspective; sometimes I feel I'm much alone out here (though I'm
sure that's probably not true).
You are not alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy