U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 PM

23,570 posts, read 33,297,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It is important for everyone to understand that it is VERY possible to find this thread without ever clicking on the Parenting forum. I found it because I peruse the "New Posts". I'm assuming Dissenter did the same. I, also, was intrigued by the thread title and came on over.

Any reason for not having children is a valid reason.
Well honestly, I gave advice on the extracurricular activities thread for teen girls and figured for the hell of it I'd stop here. I believe that I am not restricted from posting on any particular subforum here, if I ain't mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM

16,568 posts, read 14,013,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It is important for everyone to understand that it is VERY possible to find this thread without ever clicking on the Parenting forum. I found it because I peruse the "New Posts". I'm assuming Dissenter did the same. I, also, was intrigued by the thread title and came on over.

Any reason for not having children is a valid reason.
Its also very possible to read the part in the upper left hand corner where it says "Parenting Forum".

Don't want kids, GREAT! But coming into a parenting forum and calling children "spawn" and talking about how much you hate them is self serving AT BEST.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,045,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am sure I could have shaken a baby or toddler to death when I was younger and more irritable, but the reason I never had kids is I never had a shred of wanting to be a parent. Nada.
I'm pleased at how most answers to this poster are basically, if you don't wanna, you don't wanna.
I wish people felt equally compelled to explain why they do want kids or why they had them. I bet the majority answer is "I don't know."
Or I went through with an unplanned pregnancy.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I decided to not have children. Why? I have better things in my life going for me than parenting. I have a high-octane career and nothing brings more satisfaction than making money. The almighty dollar is the deity I worship and I have better things to do than to reproduce. You should do everything for them and put them before yourself because they do deserve it. It's not their fault that they conceived because you couldn't control yourself. I refuse to voluntarily ruin my life and I deserve better than being a parent.

I still get all kinds of hell for my decision and some people have even called me gay but it's not a problem. It's a shame that people can think it's such a tragedy that I refuse to be as miserable as they are. I don't like children and I hate them. I avoid obvious places that children may go and if someone's spawn maybe in a situation that they can be harmed. I simply don't care and I let them learn the hard way. I just don't get why parents should think that I (as a childfree person) should care about your kid. I don't and they could get killed for all I care. Life is too hectic for me to worry about the well-being of a total stranger.

Why bring a world full of terrible people? It's in a downward spiral and this country is in a downward spiral. People keep saying we need to improve it for our children yet you guys decided to bring children into it. How about you deal with it perhaps?
Wth crap is this you hedonistic wack job? You actually have not one ounce of feeling if innocent children get killed. You'd actually allow them to die, you bastard. If you were in newtown where unarmed children were slaughtered..you'd just stand there and let them die... Regardless if the purpose of your pst was to rile, I've never read such dreck. Theres no words to describe what a vile being you are. To be clear..I don't care if ppl have kids or not...it's called personal choice.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM

172 posts, read 269,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Wth crap is this you hedonistic wack job? You actually have not one ounce of feeling if innocent children get killed. You'd actually allow them to die, you bastard. If you were in newtown where unarmed children were slaughtered..you'd just stand there and let them die... Regardless if the purpose of your pst was to rile, I've never read such dreck. Theres no words to describe what a vile being you are. To be clear..I don't care if ppl have kids or not...it's called personal choice.
Right? This is the equivalent of me trooping to another city forum. There I'd start projecting reasons of why I don't want to live there. Don't know and don't care. Let it go already.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not everyone (women) has it posed as "career versus kids." I never wanted either. I make a good living as a technician, but never wanted a "high-powered" etc. If I worked my life as a waitress in a fourth-floor walkup apartment, I still wouldn't want kids, in fact, even more so, since I'd be closer to broke then. I don't mean broke like can't buy fancy stuff, I mean like can't get your teeth fixed or new glasses.

Some of us don't wanna. Just don't wanna.
Fine. Don't care. The only people who would remotely care are ppl who actually know you...seriously a stranger not having children affects me how? I have never ever pressured any woman to do anything. Child free don't like parents cramming their lifestyle down their throats, I don't need it constantly drummed not e head about how wonderful things are without children. It's called personal freedom and I respect that. Respect my freedom. I don't need anyone's sympathy when it comes to a decision we made eyes wide open.

Ps I will not answer I don't know when it comes to having kids. I had them bc I wanted them. Everything about them was planned. We don't believe in making ill thought out decisions.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
I quietly remind some posters that this thread, despite being in a parenting forum, is titled "Valid reasons to not want children," hence, childfree people are likely to post, and not to tick off parents, but to answer the initial question. I often read discussions on this board and only post when relevant, like this one, and I appreciate the mods allowing me to post when I am a non-parent by choice.

By the way, "I don't know" is a common reason for having kids, if an initial answer is
"I wanted them." I have always been curious- what is it someone wants? But I hardly go around asking people out of context why they have children, and don't think I've had too many people ask me out of context why I don't want or have them.

If some parents find this discussion inappropriate, perhaps they should not take part.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Then I met someone special, became financially and physically settled, and realized that I was at the end of the time when it would even be physically possible to have a child. I changed my mind rather suddenly, and then I wanted children as much as I used to not want them. Now I have one, and I have turned into the very kind of person I used to look down on. Someday it could happen to you, too. You know, resistance is futile and all that....
I trust the above is somewhat tongue in cheek, otherwise, it's very tiresome. "You'll change your mind," that old canard. I've never said that to someone who wants kids, why is the reverse so common? Let's see, "It's natural to want kids," etc. etc. Well, it's natural to assume something in your life over which very few people in history have had any choice or control. With the advent of birth control (decent birth control) in the First World in 1960 with bc pills, and the social changes therein, having a choice is extremely recent, so it's natural to assume you will do that for which there has never been a true choice.

Regarding disliking children, I dislike high shrill sounds, voice or cry, people who cannot converse in an adult manner, people who demand your full attention no matter how uninteresting they might be, and in my life, I wouldn't want to devote the great majority of my time, attention, resources and relationship to raising a short shrill person to adulthood. I didn't like being a child (short, broke, powerless) and have no desire to revisit any of it, be it Chutes and Ladders or finishing first grade. I like order, beauty, adult conversations, things of the mind, quiet and solitude. So yes, avoid children and babies. At my mental health job, when there was a kid service and I had to work a few nights there, I asked my co-workers to deal with anyone under twelve, since I didn't know how to. They were both parents. I would never work a daytime shift with the kids, although I did spend a year working with teenagers, a whole different story.

Surprisingly enough, I'm told I'm very good with kids. (That is, those who are verbal. Younger than that, I am left stupified and annoyed at having to deal with them at all, which is very rare). I give verbal kids my full attention and am very good at it. I find it draining, exhausting, and not of interest, but I do it when I must because kids can't help being what they are, and what they are being a place in development that I don't want to be around.

Babies, well, there has been no need for me to learn how to tolerate them. They don't come and visit people at my job like younger kids might, they don't collect for the local school or sell lemonade (which, by the way, I always buy two, to empower the kids).

I continue to think that courteous postings on this thread are appropriate given the title of the thread. Surely the OP wouldn't expect only parents to answer?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,209,043 times
Threads like these are always a contest to see who can boast the loudest about disliking children. Rugrats are smelly and gross and they poop all over your PS3! Oookay, thank you for stopping by and letting everybody know.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,221,987 times
It's always a pissing match between those who go all googly-eyed over babies and think people who don't have them are selfish, and those who love to tick parents off being as obnoxious and demeaning about children as they possibly can. For goodness sakes, have children, or don't have children. Why can't people just live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy