Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM

451 posts, read 769,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
The only reason needed is "I don't want children."

If greater detail is demanded, tell the person demanding it's none of their business and you will cease communication if they continue.
Absofreakinlutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
It's selfish to not want kids.
I don't think you understand what the term selfish actually means.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Attitudes like this are why I will never help a child in distress unless it is in imminent danger. The parent's sense of entitlement (to say nothing of the child, who is learning the same thing from the parent) is so alienating my response is to have developed a callous attitude toward both parent and child.

You may be able to legally steal from me through taxation, but I don't have to cooperate in other areas. You're on your own.

That and this phenomenon.

Avoiding Kids: How Men Cope With Being Cast as Predators - WSJ.com
Hey hey . I'm with you. I refuse to help a child in danger. I don't even care if death is inevitable unless I intervened. Not my kid so it's not my problem.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 AM

229 posts, read 332,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I refuse to help a child in danger. I don't even care if death is inevitable unless I intervened. Not my kid so it's not my problem.
This is where you and I differ, despite you having had kids yourself. Although I'm staunchly pro childfree myself, I'm just not wired to be indifferent to any child's suffering, and would most definitely intervene if death were inevitable to a child, if possible. If I see a suffering child then it most definitely is my problem, even if it isn't my kid.

I'm a woman so according to that article I'd be low risk anyway.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknown67 View Post
This is where you and I differ, despite you having had kids yourself. Although I'm staunchly pro childfree myself, I'm just not wired to be indifferent to any child's suffering, and would most definitely intervene if death were inevitable to a child, if possible. If I see a suffering child then it most definitely is my problem, even if it isn't my kid.

I'm a woman so according to that article I'd be low risk anyway.
What makes you think I have any? I'm wired to be indifferent to any child's suffering.

"A kid out there is drowning!" "Oh noes! Can't you see I'm reading and enjoying a cup of tea?"

Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 AM

That's your prerogative, I guess. Fortunately, not everyone thinks the same way you do. You did post that you had a "valid reason to breed" earlier on in the thread, so I do apologize if I incorrectly assumed that you had children, by making that earlier post.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 AM

63 posts, read 164,233 times
Not wanting them seems valid to me.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
That's your prerogative, I guess. Fortunately, not everyone thinks the same way you do. You did post that you had a "valid reason to breed" earlier on in the thread, so I do apologize if I incorrectly assumed that you had children, by making that earlier post.
My valid reason was sarcasm. I don't care if everyone thinks or doesn't think the way I do. You can waste your time saving children for all I care.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I don't care if everyone thinks or doesn't think the way I do.

Neither do I

Quote:
You can waste your time saving children for all I care.
Thanks, I will! Not that I'm subjected to yours, or anyone else's approval/ non approval in order to do so

Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will! Not that I'm subjected to yours, or anyone else's approval/ non approval in order to do so
I never implied that. I will think of you next time I leave a child to suffer. You should be helping them. It is as you say, "your problem".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy