U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,807,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
I see.

Well, people who are rich in spirit can sometimes be smug with those who are materially rich. They are good people but are still dealing with resentment towards money. Like you said, "self absorbed".

The rich could throw money at their problems. If you have the money, it could be tempting to fix everything in a shallow way by paying.

I may not be able to fix the world, but I can be my best person with money and and also with spirit.
Sometimes there is conflict and variation of opinions between both sides of the continuum for people that are rich in mind+spirit vs. people that are economically wealthy/showing that in materialistic activity.

However, plenty of times there are people that have both simultaneously and a balance that can be found and achieved. That balance is able to contribute well to each side. Economic/materialistic wealth sometimes helps out the process in bringing more mind/spirit wealth, and also true the other way around

The qualities for both forms of wealth are able to be maximized, and to prevent any negative flaws.

Regardless of how much wealth someone has, they do have the choice to be the best person that is possible for their existence.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 60,419 times
To the ancestors, rich was a definition of character while wealth described materials. One can be beautifully rich and at the same time extremely poor. As well, one could be (rare) extremely rich AND wealthy.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,202,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
The rich could throw money at their problems. If you have the money, it could be tempting to fix everything in a shallow way by paying.
My very definition of a "problem" is something that cannot be fixed by simply throwing money at it.

This whole "rich in spirit vs rich in net worth" argument is a bunch of self-indulgent BS. Someone who doesn't make enough to pay the bills cares deeply about procuring more money. And it's not shallow for this person (who needs to choose between rent, food and other expenses) to care about income. Nobody has time for philosophy when "want" is constantly knocking at the door and arriving in the mailbox in the form of bills.

But someone who has finances sorted out is all-of-a-sudden a shallow person for wanting to make sure that "having to choose" is never, ever happening again? And let's face it, once someone doesn't need to worry about money anymore, it's no big thing to devote time to the arts, or spirituality, or any of life's other "fulfilling but not particularly cost effective" pursuits.

Mine, for instance, is travel. I'm never going to recoup a penny of what I spend on my ridiculous globe-trotting excursions. They're not good for my bottom line. (But I'm as frugal when I travel as I am at home, so it's not all THAT big a deal.) But for the hard-core investor, this could be considered a waste of time and resources. I'm not earning anything when I'm on vacation. And I'm double-paying for nearly everything -- I pay for a hotel when I already have a house. I pay for transportation when I already have a car. I pay for prepared food when I already have a kitchen. What an extravagant waste that is! Well, it makes me happy. So I don't mind paying for travel. It makes me "rich in mind/spirit." But it takes more than good intentions to make this travel happen.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,087,533 times
"Every increased possession loads us with new weariness."
- John Ruskin, The Seven Lamps of Architecture (1849)
. . .

There once was a man who prided himself on having the best of all that might be had in the world - a great mansion, the finest furniture, the costliest carriage, a wife the very envy of beauty, the most fashionable clothes, everything - but, even so, he was not satisfied, and was constantly searching for something better, something else that he could have. How much better he should have been had he taken the same trouble to improve his character.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 PM

265 posts, read 164,001 times
Well, acting is pretending and you will find know-it-alls and paper material-abundant people going around behaving as if they owned everything and knew everything. That's nothing new: The world, especially the merchant-obsessed Eurocentric world, was built on that sort of delusion.

Someone who has bountiful wisdom or spirit or whatever is extremely rare. Minted billionaires are more numerous. I doubt that the wise act though if they are the genuine article, if anything they may effect a less conspicuous façade in this age of equal opportunities and the usual drab all-be-the-same thing society feels comfy with. Those with material wealth must show it off to an extent as that is the world's demand. Wiser folk who don't care to own resources or provide necessary services (resources and services, not paper; there is a mighty difference) may come off as snotty but w/o the paper to back up their perceived haughtiness they likely have to deal with envy from the unconfident and that is a nasty emotion to deal with if an unhappy crowd needs some appeasement.

In the modern world everyone realizes that they are a bit of a star in a society-wide Hollywood. That BS has permeated our culture so thoroughly it is as much of our shared cultural reality as perquisite knowledge of religious doctrine was back in the day. So "all the world's a stage" to quote C. Marlowe and Americans can't seem to get enough of that nugget hundreds of years later and does it show! Meet a true materially-rich or wise person and you will know the difference, believe me. You may not like that difference as it exudes, emanates quite unlike the false show of the many actors who 'have it all' but who are simply putting on an act.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,087,533 times
When Socrates was asked who among mortals was accounted most near the gods, he answered: "Those who want the fewest things." Diogenes Laertius., Lives, "Socrates," XI. And, surveying the fair at Athens, he is reputed to have said: "How many things there that I do not want."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy