U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM

6,100 posts, read 11,127,890 times

Advertisements

There is a noticeable and sometimes obvious, easy to notice, conspicuous difference between acting rich in mind/spirit vs. acting rich in materialism/consumerism oriented activities that I find interesting enough to look at a deeper, penetrating, intricate level for a debate topic.

Some Versions of Acting Rich in Mind/Spirit that can be portrayed: Certain Hobbies/Interests people have, the Values someone has, Certain Thinking Patterns/Inner World/What Someone Decides to Focus On.

For Acting Rich in Materialism/Consumerism Oriented Activities in how that can be displayed: The Main Items People Buy with Money, Homes/Cars/Furniture Home Items/Clothes, The Entertainment Options where money can be spent, Stores People Spend Money On. Almost everything else where money is directly involved.

It is actually easy to express both simultaneously and both can be good and desirable.

However, Mind/Spirit shouldn’t become too self absorbed and Materialism/Consumerism Oriented Activities should not be too shallow and the negative forms can be avoided.

Yes, there is a an exciting, sincere, genuine, deep, not shallow version for how materialism/consumerism can be expressed and it can matter. Although, I would prioritize and focus first on Mind/Spirit.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,694,650 times
Acting that one is rich either spiritually or materialistic is just that....it's acting. And acting is pretending. It's not hard to tell when someone is acting that they are very humble or very spiritual or anything else. It's not natural and doesn't come across very real. There's always the thought that lingers, "Why are they acting that way?"

If one feels they should act in a certain way, it is because deep down they think they are just the opposite. Pretending to be the opposite is not going to bring about a permanent change.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,465,120 times
Yep acting is acting bad choice of words. perhaps he means cntrent or happy whether rich or poor. Lousiana is one of poorest states but time and agin rated over all the happest in the country.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM

267 posts, read 322,841 times
OP mentioned focus.

If someone desires wealth and attains it, they have probably focused on it at many levels. Others who want wealth might even imitate those they see as rich.

Napoleon Hill wrote a book in 1937 called "Think and Grow Rich". Much of it had to do with copying those who were rich. Is that shallow or deep? I am not saying, but to me it seems that if a person lines up all their intentions well, they will be richer. After that they will probably act richer but they probably will not begin to act unfocused (shallow and scattered) unless they started drinking and drugging or something.

Others will have money fall in their lap. They never set their intentions and behavior towards that goal; like winning the lottery or a big settlement. Will their behavior become more reckless with all that dough? We could reasonably say they will continue their previous habits, good or bad.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM

44,125 posts, read 54,206,506 times
Will never quite get the idea of equating a bunch of stuff with someone being rich.
If you spent you money on all that stuff, then...you don't have the money you could be made rich with.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Acting that one is rich either spiritually or materialistic is just that....it's acting. And acting is pretending. It's not hard to tell when someone is acting that they are very humble or very spiritual or anything else. It's not natural and doesn't come across very real. There's always the thought that lingers, "Why are they acting that way?"

If one feels they should act in a certain way, it is because deep down they think they are just the opposite. Pretending to be the opposite is not going to bring about a permanent change.
Well, when I wrote that earlier post I used the word acting the same exact way as using the word being, even though both of those words are technically not always synonymous in definition.

Maybe I should have that slight subtle change of wording for the title such as: Someone Being Rich: Being Rich in Mind+Spirit vs. Rich in Materialism/Consumerism Activities.

Do you at least agree there is a noticeable difference between both of those versions of being rich and all of the specific possibilities related to that?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
OP mentioned focus.

If someone desires wealth and attains it, they have probably focused on it at many levels. Others who want wealth might even imitate those they see as rich.

Napoleon Hill wrote a book in 1937 called "Think and Grow Rich". Much of it had to do with copying those who were rich. Is that shallow or deep? I am not saying, but to me it seems that if a person lines up all their intentions well, they will be richer. After that they will probably act richer but they probably will not begin to act unfocused (shallow and scattered) unless they started drinking and drugging or something.

Others will have money fall in their lap. They never set their intentions and behavior towards that goal; like winning the lottery or a big settlement. Will their behavior become more reckless with all that dough? We could reasonably say they will continue their previous habits, good or bad.
That is true there is a certain kind of mindset, focus, and attitude for gaining wealth in someone’s life. Ambition, Opportunities, and Luck is also necessary.

However, someone feeling wealth and being rich can also be outside of economy/materialism consumerism oriented activities and also could be for mind+spirit. The original purpose of this topic was to show there is a noticeable variation between both, even if both can be expressed simultaneously.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Will never quite get the idea of equating a bunch of stuff with someone being rich.
If you spent you money on all that stuff, then...you don't have the money you could be made rich with.
This all depends on how people spend their money, and using the money in a wise way that is balanced and well distributed so they don’t lose the money so easily and also show in actions their overall wealth. It is for materialism consumerism activities.

Outside of that, the idea of wealth and being rich is also for mind, spirit, personal development, and level of intellectual+spiritual aptitude and capacity. That might be a bit more metaphorical compared to literal.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,355,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

Agree. Authenticity matters.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM

267 posts, read 322,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
That is true there is a certain kind of mindset, focus, and attitude for gaining wealth in someone’s life. Ambition, Opportunities, and Luck is also necessary.

However, someone feeling wealth and being rich can also be outside of economy/materialism consumerism oriented activities and also could be for mind+spirit. The original purpose of this topic was to show there is a noticeable variation between both, even if both can be expressed simultaneously.
I see.

Well, people who are rich in spirit can sometimes be smug with those who are materially rich. They are good people but are still dealing with resentment towards money. Like you said, "self absorbed".

The rich could throw money at their problems. If you have the money, it could be tempting to fix everything in a shallow way by paying.

I may not be able to fix the world, but I can be my best person with money and and also with spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy