U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM

658 posts, read 1,299,352 times

Advertisements

Share your thoughts and philosophical notions and theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,609,207 times
Being someone who has almost died more then once (in a slow impending way) I can tell you most people do not operate under the idea that they are going to die some day.

But do I appreciate life more? I probably try to do more and bigger things then I would have done before like world travelling. I don't think that means I appreciate it more, just try to make more of it.

I think people who aren't concerned about death are able to "just live" easier, so it could be the opposite.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,681,202 times
acknowledging death can also make people think about what life would be like without their loved ones. as in losing one of them instead of you being the one who's passing on. when you are the one who dies, you can't do anything about it. you are gone from this earth. when someone elses dies, you are left in the wake, and the pain can last a long @ss time. for me, this makes funerals so tough, even though ive been going to them since i was a toddler. they never get easier.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM

11,877 posts, read 8,284,872 times
In general in this fast paced world people just don't take enough time to consider life and how great it is. What with the threat of no common sense politics, economic collapse, wars, shootings, and the sky falling on us weighing down on us everyday it is hard to enjoy life. Ben Franklin said the only thing assured in life is death and taxes.
I think we all need to take moments to enjoy life. Go ahead and smell that flower. Enjoy helping your child learn a new skill. Watch that bird on that branch building a nest.
Death is something we don't usually think about until someone close to us dies or we hear about someone the same age or younger passing on, then we pause and maybe appreciate what we have which is ultimatly a life to go on living.
If we were immortal I believe we would still enjoy the small moments in life that makes us smile. The day we stop would be the day we might as well pass on.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Define "death". Do you mean the alternative to life, or the temporal interface between a pre-existing life and the termination of that life?

Do you mean that it would be possible to appreciate life on, say Jupiter, only because we regard Jupiter as devoid of life? Or do you mean that only when I am dead, will I appreciate my life?

Why does it matter if one appreciates life or not? Do trees and camels and nematodes appreciate life? Must one be capable of intellectually beholding philosophy in order to appreciate life, and if so, why would the contemplation of death be a prerequisite to that appreciation?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM

10,575 posts, read 15,659,488 times
jtur sort of has it. it depends on one's perspective on death. good example is Alexander the Great. He conquered all the known world, but stumbled upon one country and, specifically, one military force - Sikhs. They were not possible to defeat, because as a whole, they had no fear of death, due to their beliefs. For such person, appreciation of life is different than for one, who is materialist and cares only about pleasures and satisfactions and gratifications of the material world.
For those in spirit, life has very different set of values, if any.
Perosnally, I am continuously aware of death, as passing. Does it change my attitude towards life - not really.
I'd say, fair answer to this question - like to any other - it depends.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,088,945 times
I do enjoy living all the more when some people I dislike die.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM

11,111 posts, read 12,501,220 times
I have seen death, and doing so have learned to appreciate life. I think if we were immortal, life would be so boring. I'm 61 now and although still young in a way, do not fear death. It will be another journey to me.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 AM

658 posts, read 1,299,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Define "death". Do you mean the alternative to life, or the temporal interface between a pre-existing life and the termination of that life?

Do you mean that it would be possible to appreciate life on, say Jupiter, only because we regard Jupiter as devoid of life? Or do you mean that only when I am dead, will I appreciate my life?

Why does it matter if one appreciates life or not? Do trees and camels and nematodes appreciate life? Must one be capable of intellectually beholding philosophy in order to appreciate life, and if so, why would the contemplation of death be a prerequisite to that appreciation?
DEATH: you are alive, or you are dead. DEATH.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 AM

122 posts, read 128,046 times
I don't think so. Death serves to be a motivation. People seem to live their life when they know there's an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or