U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times

Advertisements

I just accept the fact that humans are flawed and tempted by bad or evil; which ever you want to call it. Our laws are based on just that as civil society sees it. I also think people who live by a standard of good by its very nature are rewarded by society. In the end no more truthful saying that what goes round ;comes around in human society. Being flawed tho man often cons him/her self into believing bad as justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
Do you believe the universe has to balance out of good and evil? ...
No.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:06 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,101,749 times
Quote:
Is that weird to want to be a bad person because that is when I have felt the best in life?
I think you need to look more closely at what you mean by "bad". I have been called a "bad person" because my wife and I are in an open relationship. Indeed, by the standards of a lot of people who follow various religious doctrines, I am clearly a "bad person" for a variety of reasons. If I shared these religious views, then I would see myself as a "bad person" and I would be the same boat as you. I would "want to be a bad person". But since I don't believe in these doctrines, I do not see myself as a bad person. I see myself as, at worse, doing no significant harm and, more probably, doing more good than harm by arguing against various traditional religious doctrines.

So my question is: Do you believe that the bad things that you want to do will cause significant, tangible harm to other people? In other words, do you feel best when you are knowingly causing people to suffer? Or are the bad things you want to do just "naughty" in the sense that people generally would not approve of the behavior, but you can't really see what tangible harm is caused?

If you feel best when you are doing things that you know will cause people to suffer, but you either don't care about their suffering or you actually enjoy the fact that they suffer, then I'd say, yes, that's a bit "weird" - tho perhaps not statistically very unusual. But if you cannot identify some significant, tangible harm being done on account of your actions, then the problem might be that you are accepting certain moral doctrines out of habit - just accepting that things are "bad" because the culture says they are bad, while in reality they might not be bad. (It will also depend on whether you are a moral "absolutist" or a "consequentialist"/"relativist.")

Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 443 times
I believe there is a balance between good and evil. Just as to create matter there was an equal mass of anti matter; the same applies. (Where the anti matter went is a puzzle.) It is a global balance so impossible to analyse. The second World War shows the principle. Great evil was created by the Germans and this created the good that led to the Allies victory. The Allies also killed civilians so it was not the end of it all. This is because the truth is determinism. Everything is planned so there is no sin, just the inevitable series of cause and effect. Because of this the Crucifixion did not have to take away sin, it was an apology for the inevitability of evil in the World. Balance also applied with great joy at the birth and great evil at the death.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,637,449 times
Quote:
Do you believe the universe has to balance out of good and evil? By that I mean when you do a lot of good do you sometimes feel that bad things happen for no reason?
Absolutely not
When we choose happiness and focus on happiness then we have it in our world.

If someone believes (and I used to think this way, it was horrible) oh i'm happy now for 3 hours, that means I will be sad for 3 hours, then it is actually a discouragement to ever being happy

not a fun or good or pleasing way to live at all

what we focus on we become
where our thoughts go, there we are

what we think about and fill our time and attention with, that is what we draw into our life, and that is what we become
our thoughts create our reality

so focus on good, uplifting, happy, inspiring, pleasing thoughts....and that will fill your life
the opposite is also true

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,121,938 times
Quote:
Do you believe the universe has to balance out of good and evil? By that I mean when you do a lot of good do you sometimes feel that bad things happen for no reason? Is there such a thing as good people and bad people?

I posed this question to a few coworkers, do you think that natural disasters happen because of an imbalanced equation of good happening?

I have been thinking a lot lately about my life and realized that it seems the harder I try to do good, the more bad things that seem to happen to me. And the times I do bad stuff(morally not illegally) the better I feel. Is that weird to want to be a bad person because that is when I have felt the best in life?

What are your thoughts/experiences/feelings on this subject?
No. Good and evil are human concepts. Why would the whole darn universe be run on human concepts? Talk about narcissistic anthropocentrism.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 AM

779 posts, read 693,171 times
There's no balance, evilness and corruption seem to win out more often times than not.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
There's no balance, evilness and corruption seem to win out more often times than not.
for those who hold the above belief.....yes that is exactly what their world is filled with.

it is NOT "I'll believe it when I see it"

rather it is "I will see it when I believe it"

it's like the guy says "thoughts become things, choose the good ones"

Old 05-08-2015, 12:19 PM

779 posts, read 693,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
for those who hold the above belief.....yes that is exactly what their world is filled with.

it is NOT "I'll believe it when I see it"

rather it is "I will see it when I believe it"

it's like the guy says "thoughts become things, choose the good ones"
Throughout history those who have been the most willing to lie, kill, and cheat find themselves in the most privileged positions. That's true not only with humans, but in all of nature.... It is a dog eat dog world out there, regardless of the delusional lies that people choose to tell themselves.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:54 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,033,372 times
Quote:
Do you believe the universe has to balance out of good and evil?
No. That would require good and evil to be forces rather than just descriptions of benefits and harms that are a result of actions taken in the world by various actors.

The only motivation I can think of to try to see some sort of "law of balance" is to try to find a way to rationalize suffering as something inevitable and outside our control. Which is never a good thing to do. Suffering is unacceptable and we must never shirk our responsibility to reduce it where and when we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or