U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM

487 posts, read 777,838 times

Advertisements

I think this topic is actually extremely boring and pointless, because hell, of course there's no Gods and Goddesses and what have you. So much freaking bull crap. People have to make up stories and complicate things. Then fight about it, even to the death. Ha! Dummies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
I think this topic is actually extremely boring and pointless, because hell, of course there's no Gods and Goddesses and what have you. So much freaking bull crap. People have to make up stories and complicate things. Then fight about it, even to the death. Ha! Dummies.
If it's boring and pointless, then why weigh in at all? After all, there are thousands of hotly-debated subjects on CD that I just don't give a rip about. So I don't participate. Just a thought.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM

16,812 posts, read 11,755,818 times
You decide the value of the comments and you assign a value.

Consider all the other words or behavior you do put up with and it doesn't get under your skin. That is because you assign a low value to those comments probably because the benefits of the relationship are worth the price.

Be aware the philosopy du jour is that everyone is a victim and anything above ZERO tolerance is indicative of deep evil lurking in the a person's heart getting ready to break out and wreak havoc upon the earth.

If you buy into the zero tolerance philosophy, which defies human behavior, your life will not be the joy it should be.

Saying a banned word does not make one a racist. The social justice libs that have taken over the government and schools make people racists where there are none.

Atheists should enjoy the absurdity of religious folks following their faith.

No one is trying to institutionally convert atheists. Any person who does is no different that a person who wonders why you bought a ford when you could have purchased a chevy. Oreo's vs penut butter cookies. Common human behavior.

When an atheist and social justice minions try to erase religion, it is hard to understand the motive, despite the social justice, secular nonsense regurgitated to justify binding supressive legislation. He isn't just recommending a Ford..he is making you buy one. Legislation vs a idle comment from an atheist organization leaves a bad taste.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 PM

259 posts, read 204,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
What's more offensive, me calling Christians crazy or Christians telling me, as an atheist, that I will spend eternity burning in flames?
The truth can be very offensive to those who won't accept it

I'm personally not offended by anything an atheist says

Because I have sympathy in my heart for them first of all
Second of all, there aren't any good arguments for atheism

Old 05-26-2013, 02:40 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,095,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I experience that a lot here on these boards tbh. But I could also say the same that in real life, no one has ever come up to me and asked me if I've accepted the Lord as my Savior as well. Amazing, right? But I have never EVER experienced this. Most people do not care.
That actually is amazing. Are you a five-year-old child from Sweden?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Any Christian that is bothered by you calling them crazy has veered off course as their Savior preached concepts that were considered completely outlandish at that time. They should take it as a compliment.

If they tell you that they will "pray for you" they are really saying "I am better than you" which I agree is completely non religious and arrogant.
nailed it

Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Both are uncomfortable. I find neither offensive.

I choose to believe in God. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you. Free will and all. I do have a problem with religious folk trying to force their beliefs on others and I have a problem with atheists trying to force their beliefs on me or others when it is not welcome. There is a lot of room for improvement on both sides. We should all get along and not let religion get in the way of making this nation as good as possible. There needs to be give and take.
"Free will" is as much a myth as the teachings of any religion. Just FYI. This is the philosophy forum and not the religion and spirituality forum, so I can post, you know, facts, right? Belief can be "up to you", yes, but there's nothing "free" about the nervous system involved in making decisions, most of which are beyond conscious awareness anyway (neuroscience argues, or at least implies, that all decisions are made unconsciously, and some of those decisions then become subject to conscious awareness, while many do not).

Yet another experiment showing that conscious “decisions” are made unconsciously, and in advance « Why Evolution Is True

Life is so incredibly absurd, even if it's all reducible to physics and therefore unable to accommodate the notion of absurdity, heh

Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,432,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
That actually is amazing. Are you a five-year-old child from Sweden?
Lol! Sigh....

Thank you for feeding both our egos.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM

259 posts, read 204,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
"Free will" is as much a myth as the teachings of any religion. Just FYI. This is the philosophy forum and not the religion and spirituality forum, so I can post, you know, facts, right? Belief can be "up to you", yes, but there's nothing "free" about the nervous system involved in making decisions, most of which are beyond conscious awareness anyway (neuroscience argues, or at least implies, that all decisions are made unconsciously, and some of those decisions then become subject to conscious awareness, while many do not).

Yet another experiment showing that conscious “decisions” are made unconsciously, and in advance « Why Evolution Is True

Life is so incredibly absurd, even if it's all reducible to physics and therefore unable to accommodate the notion of absurdity, heh
If you believe in biological determinism then why should anyone be held responsible for their actions?

BTW, if your thoughts were arbitrary random chemical reactions, what value are they at all?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,044,946 times
There are certain aspects of my personal life that are nobody else's business, and nobody has a right to ask me whether I wear women's underwear or use a stool softener or pick my nose when I watch TV. I resent it and I am offended if a stranger or a casual acquaintance asks me to explain to them my personal spiritual particulars and my theology, which are a matter of my own conscience, that I carry the burden of within myself. I don't need your help in guiding me to my place in the eternal universe, quite frankly because you don't know a goddam thing about the eternal universe, and I am offended by your presumptuous assertion that you do. Nor do I want to hear about your recommendation for a stool softener, no matter how much you think it will comfort me in my travails.

Alas, I fear I have offended any religious people who believe I am a fruit to be picked in the service of their god(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or