Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,153,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Considering this is the PARENTING forum -- bizarre question.
I think it might be a good idea if one of the child-free here spoke with the mods about having a child-free subforum; perhaps a relationships subforum. Unless there is a need to be immersed among parents that brings something to the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
I don't know if this counts, but directly after the birth of our second son made both my husband and I suddenly feel as if we didn't want any more children. I knew for certain, without any doubt, at that exact moment, holding my new sweet little baby in my arms for the very first time, that our family was complete, and there would be no more kiddos. What was really cool was that when I told my husband this weeks later - he told me that he had felt the same thing.

Before I had kids I never thought I wanted kids. I had a horrible childhood and was poor and had crappy parents, etc. I thought I wanted to be childless, make money, be free, etc. But then I fell in love, and two people in love is just a couple. Which is fine for a lot of people, but we wanted a family. And so a family we made.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,290,630 times
I have never associated loving a man with wanting to be a parent. Two different things in life.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,037,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have never associated loving a man with wanting to be a parent. Two different things in life.
I am not sure that they are.

I never wanted to have children...lousy parents, poor, etc. I just thought everything i 'leanred' about parenting by being in a parent/child relationship made me think 'no thanks'.

I did have three chiuldren with an unlvong wife, against my better judgement. It was as bad (worse) than i could have imagined.

We are divorced now. And i have a wonderful woman in my life.

My biggest regret?

That i cannot have a child with this woman. However 'wrong' it seemed before, it seems SO right now. Sad that it won't happen.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Hmmm....

- Everytime I walk down the grocery aisle with kids screaming like banchees
- Looking at the price of healthcare with children added in every annual enrollment
- Hearing how much daycare and child support costs
- Sleeping in on weekends and remembering I would not be able do it if I had kids

Not one event but several. Kids just ain't for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM

861 posts, read 2,713,594 times
When I was in college I interned in a pediatric oncology ward.
Seeing parent's mourn their children was powerful, and made me question if I would be strong enough if that was the hand life dealt me some day
Obviously "some day" came and I made the decision to become a parent anyway. I still fear what a profound loss it would be if god forbid something were to happen to my son, but ultimately the fear was not enough to keep me from procreating.
However, now being a parent myself, I don't think I could work in such a population again. I don't think I'd be able to remain professionally distant as is needed.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,289,482 times
My parents have made me not want to have children.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM

865 posts, read 1,484,546 times
Becoming a step-parent - makes you want to become sterilized!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

487 posts, read 860,658 times
to the original question: only for a brief moment during labor.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,290,630 times
The actions and daily life of a parent, to me, are not related to the life of loving a man. For the man who posted that he wishes he could have a child with current love, I go back to my own thoughts that men do not wish to be parents in the daily, moment-to-moment caretaking sense, but a more abstract sense of "having a family" or even "passing my genes on." For those who point out that a child is a piece of both of you, presumably who love each other, my thought simply is, but how you spend your time/resources/life day to day as a parent might not appeal to anyone like me. The idea that a child is part of both of you is a very romantic thought but I don't think it relates to the actions of being a parent besides DNA involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy