Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
most of us believe things without evidence. in fact, every single one of us do. wether it is something our parents told us to be true.
I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I think that if there was proof that God doesn't exist, then believing in him, in spite of the proof, would be irrational.

As there is no proof, it's a 50/50 chance. If you believe that God exists, you could be wrong. If you
Where did you get 50/50 from?

More like a 99.999999/0.0000001 chance against the existance.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I actually never got people who say they are 100% sure that God exists. I always thought believing was just thinking something was true.
Thinking or hoping or pretending or deluding or wishing....

If someone is happy believing god exists (or believing 2 + 2 = 5) then they are better off than being unhappy.

Happiness trumps reality.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where did you get 50/50 from?

More like a 99.999999/0.0000001 chance against the existance.
Where did you get yours?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Where did you get yours?
I don't know where he gets his from but a careful examination of the actual evidence causes me to make the odds about the same as he does.

It's a function of what you admit into evidence and the order in which you consider the evidence.

I don't consider self-referential holy books and faith assertions or unshared subjective personal experience to be evidence. Also what evidence I find for or against anything I follow wherever it takes me. I don't look for evidence that fits a predetermined conclusion. In my experience when people use such criteria they do not get anywhere near 50% likelihood of the existence of any god(s), much less specific ones.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 PM

258 posts, read 238,678 times
It's ironic that atheists use words like rational and logical when if the world existed according to their system of belief, there would be no basis for saying that any argument can be considered rational or logical to begin with if they are all the products of arbitrary chemistry in the brain.

Thoughts are no more coherent or rational than mudflows

Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
It's ironic that atheists use words like rational and logical when if the world existed according to their system of belief, there would be no basis for saying that any argument can be considered rational or logical to begin with if they are all the products of arbitrary chemistry in the brain.

Thoughts are no more coherent or rational than mudflows
Please do tell what the atheist system of belief is! I thought the only thing defining an atheist was a lack of god belief. That is not a belief system, any more than abstinence is a sexual position.

This is clearly you believing something about atheists that you have no evidence for.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
the only thing defining an atheist was a lack of god belief. That is not a belief system,
Precisely.

Atheists are not victims of brainwashing nor are they "born again" (someone who has "hit bottom" due to drugs, alcohol, depression, prison, etc and "found jesus" as a psychological survival mechanism alternative to suicide).

Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 PM

258 posts, read 238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Please do tell what the atheist system of belief is! I thought the only thing defining an atheist was a lack of god belief. That is not a belief system, any more than abstinence is a sexual position.

This is clearly you believing something about atheists that you have no evidence for.
Atheists wish it were that convenient so their own system of beliefs can't be held to scrutiny.

Regardless of if you are aware of it or not, if you assign to a belief system of life without a creator it
assumes the 6 major assumptions of evolution.

And if the brain itself is just the mere product of an arbitrary process then so are your thoughts.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
Atheists wish it were that convenient so their own system of beliefs can't be held to scrutiny.

Your statement is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy