Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

A common argument I see being presented by people is the Statement. "Prove I am wrong?" Except for mathematical operations one can not prove anything is wrong. No statement no matter how ridiculous or obviously wrong can be proven wrong.

As an experiment I defy anyone to offer proof that this statement is wrong.

"Giant 12 legged purple, man-eating aardvarks have invaded the USA."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Language is the great limiter in logic, where a definition of "proof" must be agreed upon before it can be discussed. The concept of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" has been universally applied for centuries, recognizing that an insistence upon absolutes is an environment inimical to logic.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Language is the great limiter in logic, where a definition of "proof" must be agreed upon before it can be discussed. The concept of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" has been universally applied for centuries, recognizing that an insistence upon absolutes is an environment inimical to logic.
True

And in my own opinion why the challenge "Prove I am wrong" borders on the ridiculous.

While it is possible to come to an agreement as to what is proof of the existence of something, I really doubt there can be an agreement as to what is proof something does not exist.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 PM

69 posts, read 65,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A common argument I see being presented by people is the Statement. "Prove I am wrong?" Except for mathematical operations one can not prove anything is wrong. No statement no matter how ridiculous or obviously wrong can be proven wrong.

Wouldn't this qualify as argumentum ad ignorantiam? The burden of proof lies on the one who asserts the logically positive.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatthernsInTheIvy View Post
Wouldn't this qualify as argumentum ad ignorantiam? The burden of proof lies on the one who asserts the logically positive.
Correct it would.

I started this thread to demonstrate how absurd it is to use the Argument "Prove xxx does not exist"

I still defy anyone to prove

It is an absolutely ridiculous statement. While I am a Theist and strongly believe in God(swt) I cringe when I see a Theist use the statement "Prove God(swt) does not exist." Which sadly too many of my fellow theists do and actually believe they won because no one has ever proven God(swt) does not exist.

It is basically them I want to tackle y challenge. Perhaps then they can understand why they get laughed at.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 AM

511 posts, read 838,343 times
Even the most basic math is based on postulates. There's a leap of faith somewhere aka Peano postulates.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I'm scared to tackle y challenge...what if I get laughed at?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Absurd is to attempt to prove anything. Reality is nothing but figments of our minds. What is there to prove? And even our minds do not really exist.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Because the phrase "being invaded" is usually indicative of an act affecting the lives of other beings, then if not a single person has come forward and said "my life has been affected by giant 12 legged purple, man-eating aardvarks", then it is probably not an invasion.

However, if one was saying that "Giant 12 legged purple, man-eating aardvarks are here in the USA but they are invisible." then it would be hard to prove that wrong.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Because the phrase "being invaded" is usually indicative of an act affecting the lives of other beings, then if not a single person has come forward and said "my life has been affected by giant 12 legged purple, man-eating aardvarks", then it is probably not an invasion.

However, if one was saying that "Giant 12 legged purple, man-eating aardvarks are here in the USA but they are invisible." then it would be hard to prove that wrong.
Even the first one the fact no one came forward could be because the invading Aarvarks destroy the minds of all who see them and they fall under the control of the aardvarks until they are eaten. Because no one reports being affected by them is evidence of how powerful the aardvarks are at mind control.

Now you have 2 things to prove do not exist. The existence of the aardvarks and there are no people that had their minds destroyed by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy