Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 AM

72 posts, read 196,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
That is all very abstract. Perhaps what you have quoted is a hypothesis, not a statement of concrete reality. Nye is a political scientist, you know. I read one of his books as an undergraduate. Abstractions are his business.

Humans live, die, and kill based upon abstractions. Various abstractions might be: religion, nation, capitalism, friend, lover, etc. Humans create meaning and live life based upon fictions created and represented by abstract ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:42 AM

I suspect that globalization will dramatically improve the standard of living world wide. But that will mean that we will eat our planet much faster than we do now. What are our chances of civilization lasting another 200 years under such pressure?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by coberst
Quote:
I suspect that globalization will dramatically improve the standard of living world wide. But that will mean that we will eat our planet much faster than we do now. What are our chances of civilization lasting another 200 years under such pressure?
The problem with humanity is that it has this ability to 'reason' away and / or deny its problem. The first step in solving a problem is admitting that you have one.
Unfortunately I do not see it happen that humanity will admit that growth is a problem and / or that luxury in the end is a lethal addiction.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by coberstThe problem with humanity is that it has this ability to 'reason' away and / or deny its problem. The first step in solving a problem is admitting that you have one.
Unfortunately I do not see it happen that humanity will admit that growth is a problem and / or that luxury in the end is a lethal addiction.
This is why I think that the only way we can save our planet and our species from self destruction is if we find a way to make stewardship a major religious project.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Tricky D wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that our 'higher' lifestyle pollutes highly.
Unfortunately we find pollution inevitable.
That's a very good point and although I like to see people being pulled out of poverty I realize that the resources of this planet can't sustain unlimited growth with all of it's problems such as pollution. It would be impossible for the entire population of the world to live the lifestyle that Europeans and North Americans take for granted today. Capitalism is based on consumers constantly buying new products and throwing out the old ones they're replacing. At some point in the not so distant future we're going to see serious shortages in resources such a metals and of course oil. We're going to be forced to find extremely efficient methods of using existing resources that will benefit everyone. I do think this involves a moral code based on an awareness that we should strive to be fair to both workers and consumers and that we desparately need to find innovative ways to avoid the waste and pollution that has impacted the entire world.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post
This is why I think that the only way we can save our planet and our species from self destruction is if we find a way to make stewardship a major religious project.
Have you ever seen George Carlin's thing on "Saving the Planet"? It's very funny and very true in many ways. Worth taking a look.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by coberst
Quote:
I'm not so keen on stewardship, because this implies that some 'higher power' has decreed that humanity knows what is best for the world, while I personally don't even believe that humanity knows what is best for humanity.

The difference between natural selection and stewardship is that:
Quote:
Natural selection is daily and hourly scrutinising, throughout the world, every variation, even the slightest; rejecting that which is bad preserving and adding up all that is good; silently working, whenever and wherever opportunity offers, at the improvement of each organic being.
Charles Darwin
while stewardship is daily and hourly scrutinising, throughout the world, every variation, even the slightest; rejecting that which is bad for humanity preserving and adding up all that is good for humanity; silently working, whenever and wherever opportunity offers, at the improvement of humans only.

I believe that through the wonders of modern technology man sees itself as superior to nature, forgetting that like every other animal man still is reliant on his environment.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
the more "global" we get as a nation, IMHO will require a reduction in our sovernity as a nation.* Do we really want or need other countries troops to help protect the US? Im really asking the question? and how much of others countries "religions" will we have to open up too?
We lost our sovergnty when NAFTA was signed in the early 1990's.* Also the Clinton administration allowed our troops to wear UN badges in Serbia, WHY did he do that?The problem is when it comes to trade it will never be even.* Too many other countries with big financial woes want USA to be their relief and USA to even out the score.This country is already open to ALL religions, even extreemist Muslims who want us non beleivers dead.* (That's the antiwar crowd)* We need to be open yes, but not FOOLISH.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
i wouldn't have a problem with globalization if the main incentive wasn't greed. yeah yeah, we all hear about how all these poor countries are getting a middle class and so on. I very highly doubt that the companies that are raking in the money from this give a damn whether some poor peasant in a crappy country across the globe has a better life, that just happens to be a convenient side effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy