U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

16,464 posts, read 20,002,503 times

Advertisements

This is a hard one to measure, but how do you feel about this ? Any truth to it? Ever seen any evidence of this? This operates more on a political level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,109,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
This is a hard one to measure, but how do you feel about this ? Any truth to it? Ever seen any evidence of this? This operates more on a political level?
Are you talking about Christian kind of sin? I don't really understand the question.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Quote:
True in the hazards of life.

Not necessarily true in a philosophical or religious sense is.

For example a man commits a crime and and goes to jail. His children pay the price by loosing the financial support of .their father, but that does not mean they will be punished by God(swt) because their father sinned.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 AM

After 9/11 I heard someone say: one big payment for the sins of our fathers!

In this sense, it's used in a Presidential sort of way! The sins of our former leaders!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,557,571 times
The Bible asserts that a sin that you commit will be used to punish your descendants for 7 generations. It reminds me of Eastern concepts of rebirth and reincarnation and karma. Believers in both notions will hasten to tell you that it's not really punishment (Christians don't want god to look like a petty vindictive nitwit and, e.g., Buddhists don't want you to see rebirth as a philosophy of despair and a source of fatalism). They will say it's just natural consequences and they will prescribe some things you can do to circumvent those.

If it's truly a matter of natural consequences I have to provisionally agree, some personal failings are definitely the gift that keeps on giving. The canonical example is that an abused child tends to grow up to commit the same kinds of abuse, almost in spite of themselves or any inner vows they have made to never be like that.

But I don't believe in some immutable law or some divine intergenerational retribution. There is no evidence of that. There is just some cause and effect for some things, some of it weak, some of it (e.g. traumatic abuse) fairly strong.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I believe the passage is "The sins of the father are visited upon the sons." This is different from the way you posed the question.
To me this means if your parents don't set a good example, and raise their children right, they pass their own moral, ethical, educational shortcomings on to their children. We see this happen every day. I absolutely believe it is true.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM

I've long pondered this question in reference to the Jews/Hitler/Holocaust.

I read about that period leading up to the Bolshevik Revolution, the widescale emigration of the Jews in the late 1800's out of Russia. The Jews, at that time, were in control of everything, at that time, owned virtually every bar/saloon, liquor store, tenement building in Russia. Not only were they unfair to the natives, but their own kind as well, as there were nasty Jewish ghetto's in Moscow.

Were "payments" made?

I also ponder the white man coming to the U.S. and committing all those sins against the Native Americans, 300 years ago. Are we going to end up making some payments on that some day, or have we already?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Quote:
After 9/11 I heard someone say: one big payment for the sins of our fathers!

In this sense, it's used in a Presidential sort of way! The sins of our former leaders!

No. What you referring to is part of destiny. In this case, it is nation's destiny, or destiny of a group of people that are drawn and staying together due to similarities in their thinking.
As a result of their thinking, a group destiny is woven and comes true, or exteriorizes, in form of national disasters, wars, weather cataclisms, revolutions, and so on and so on.
It has nothing to do with presidents as presidents simply piggy back group thinking and drive themselves into that position, by conforming to group thinking, expressed in group's desires.

Someone said: nations have rulers only as bad, as they deserve.

You do not have to be a part of a group destiny. By YOUR thinking, you can remove yourself from that particular thinking pattern. It does not mean that you will surely escape the group destiny. You might. Or, you might escaped it in the next existence. Only your Thinker knows.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

20,595 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Quote:
I think some can or do.

One way of looking at it is what the...third? poster pointed out.

The father does something, the offspring can pay for that for the rest of their lives.

As far as what I think you are asking, I have no solid proof but it sure does feel like it some times. There's no way to measure that, though. You can't measure paying for what your father did or their father did or even their father did...it's impossible. But I think/feel, (since this can only be based on opinion now), it most certainly does happen.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM

20,595 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The Bible asserts that a sin that you commit will be used to punish your descendants for 7 generations. It reminds me of Eastern concepts of rebirth and reincarnation and karma. Believers in both notions will hasten to tell you that it's not really punishment (Christians don't want god to look like a petty vindictive nitwit and, e.g., Buddhists don't want you to see rebirth as a philosophy of despair and a source of fatalism). They will say it's just natural consequences and they will prescribe some things you can do to circumvent those.

If it's truly a matter of natural consequences I have to provisionally agree, some personal failings are definitely the gift that keeps on giving. The canonical example is that an abused child tends to grow up to commit the same kinds of abuse, almost in spite of themselves or any inner vows they have made to never be like that.

But I don't believe in some immutable law or some divine intergenerational retribution. There is no evidence of that. There is just some cause and effect for some things, some of it weak, some of it (e.g. traumatic abuse) fairly strong.
Not to go off topic but this is not a truthful statement. No they do not "tend to" do this. Some do, many do not.

Back to the conversation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy