Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Materialism is a form of religion.

It has been sold to the people by way of constant bombardment from television and other media. It is the constant reinforcement that the acquiring of material goods is both instantly and permanently gratifying.

Like most religions, it purpose is to control the thoughts and the actions of the masses in order to have them live their lives in a way which benefits the masters of the religion at the determent to the people themselves.

It serves the additional purpose to distract people from the time they would otherwise use to educate themselves in areas that would allow them to understand the actions and motivations of the people in positions of power who exploit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
You think so much like me it's uncanny. I've never been able to be impressed with material stuff- seems like for me the more something costs, the less impressed I am. So that makes it hard to relate at times- when everyone else is so materialistic. Its good to know there are others out there like us lol
Yes, it's being a realist that makes it hard to be impressed with the size, or cost of some material things...I say if it works, and does the job, it's as valuable as the one that does the same, but costs ten times as much...I'm kinda the same in that just because something cost a lot of money, I'm not impressed, usually the opposite, especially when I know it's a waste of money when you coulda got the same for much less. I think for some people aesthetics is a big concern, and they see themselves as some how better if they can flaunt it...I feel fortunate that I've never fallen for that.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
Sentimental value is priceless. Maybe value is the wrong word here. I guess my view is more about things that people have deemed expensive. I see the good in things like antiques and other things. I just can't get excited over stuff really. When someone tells me that their kid is graduating college, getting married or having grand children I genuinely feel happy and excited for them. You tell me about your big screen TV or new BMW and be sure to let me know how much you paid for it not so much.
As much as I do like material things....I don't see anything wrong with you not understanding why a pricey car is that....a pricey car, when for you any car will do. It makes you practical. We need practical people in the world. They help keep prices down and cheaper goods to be made. (I just read that last line, sounded like an insult, it wasn't. Just economics)

However, what I had to chuckle at....is that you wrote this:

Quote:
I see the good in things like antiques and other things.
So, if it's an antique car, that costs $1 million dollars, you can see the good in that? Or what about those shows like Antique Road Show, Pawn Stars, etc that tell you your stuff is worth GADS of money (or is fake)? How do you see the good in those things? Or are you talking about antiques that were handed down from generation to generation (that could be a Rolex)? In that sense, it's back to sentimental value versus real value. Antiques were "things" once too with a price tag and nowadays can have a bigger price tag just cuz it's old.

Like I said, I like material things. So a car isn't just a mode of transportation to me, it's more of a toy. I also love to drive, so I want to drive something I truly enjoy. Granted, I prefer to pay for quality and craftsmanship versus paying for status. But sometimes the two mix and I have to decide if it's worth it to also pay for the name....even though I know quality and craftsmanship comes with it (for example, the Rolex).

If you can't appreciate craftsmanship in things, then IMHO, you are missing out (think hand made wood rocking chair that is beautiful and functional). Not everything has craftsmanship behind it (can we say Pinto/Yugo), but can be practical (would you want it though). I guess, when people show me things they like/love, I try to look at it from their POV. Do they see it purely for status? Craftsmanship? It's just pretty?

So, in the example you gave. If that comment was said to me, and it was a fast car with awesome handling, I may just agree. Has nothing to do with price, but for me, the value is in the build of the car (handling/engine/etc). Most likely, if it was a typical Rolls Royce, I'd just walk past it. I don't care, it's not fun. lol.

In the end, it's what you value in the items that matters. You don't value a car for more than the fact it takes you from point A to B, that's great. Hopefully you value your life enough to find a decent car, not just something that moves. I value craftsmanship, so if the expensive item has that and I can afford it, I will put money into it. On the upside, usually items that have craftsmanship and cost money will retain its value. Why do you think a Rolex actually appreciates in monetary value over time....it's not just because of the name.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 AM

61 posts, read 104,247 times
You sound just like me.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
I don't know what has happened to me but I just can't seem to find the value in things people see as valuable. I had this discussion with a coworker and he sees the value in things. Here's an example.. I work at hospital and this nice looking car parks fairly close to me. I walk into the hospital and my buddy says "That's Dr Wilson. Did you see his new car?" It must have cost him a ton of money. I looked at the car and acknowledged that it was nice but I didn't see the dollar figure that my friend saw. I guess I see cars as a good mode of getting from point A to B and you could accomplish that without the high cost.

In addition to cars, the other things I can't seem to see the value with include - jewelry, clothes, handbags and purses, and other things. A good Timex or Casio seems to accomplish the same thing that a Rolex does. I never have seen the value in diamonds and gold. Purses to me are bags that women put things in.

Should I be looking beyond the basic uses of these items and see them for something more? See them for what's behind the making of them, the work and people involved in creating such things. Or am I thinking too deep about frivolous nonsense.
You're a practical person unimpressed by unpragmatic lifestyles. Most likely, you're the type of person who [feels] has nothing to prove to anyone. Your character and "who you are" is not defined by the price of goods or name their brands. Be it food or fuel, you may even be the type who judiciously consumes only what is required. Wish more of us were of like mind.

I once heard an Indian economist discuss the increasing rates of consumption and avoracious appetite for high-priced goods within a growing segment of India. He went on to define and compare this trend with consumption rates in the USA. I will never forget his final words:

"If the entire world decided to live at par with US standards of living, it would take four planets to sustain the levels of consumption."

I am convinced it is time we humans began learning to live according to basic needs.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Do yourself a favor and keep that outlook. Save your money for traveling or something you are passionate about rather than a luxury car or other material object that will likely lose it's value over time.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yes, it's being a realist that makes it hard to be impressed with the size, or cost of some material things...I say if it works, and does the job, it's as valuable as the one that does the same, but costs ten times as much...I'm kinda the same in that just because something cost a lot of money, I'm not impressed, usually the opposite, especially when I know it's a waste of money when you coulda got the same for much less. I think for some people aesthetics is a big concern, and they see themselves as some how better if they can flaunt it...I feel fortunate that I've never fallen for that.
As long as you don't come off as judgmental/superior toward those who do value material things, I see no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy