Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times

Advertisements

The memory of you, or events you've influenced, will continue to influence future events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Frankly, I find it puzzling.

[b]The man was a Zen Buddhist teacher of Japanese origin, and yet the statement as it reads here in English seems contrary to the most basic Buddhist thought, i.e. that there is no on-going, permanent self.
Zen teachers can seem puzzling. They speak in indirect ways which are meant to get one to explore the subject from many different directions. Their meanings are never obvious.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Here is a quote from Suzuki Roshi. How do you interpret this? What do you think he meant?

"You will always exist in the universe in one form or another."
What is the definition of "You"?

Does "exist" include both matter and energy?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The memory of you, or events you've influenced, will continue to influence future events.
That also apples to my computer mouse and the salt in my potato water.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
It sounds like something one reads in a fortune cookie.

I'm not sure what he meant. I think he meant that the spirit that causes us to experience life as he know it, never goes away. Once we die, this spirit leaves our physical body and wanders aimlessly or not through some finite environment called a "universe", where it can assume another "form."

Of course, how would he know?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM

580 posts, read 964,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
How I interpret it:

That once I'm dead, my component parts (elements such as carbon & calcium) will disperse across the planet,
matter remains even if not recognizable/identifiable as "the me that once was".
But that sort of unincorporated "existence" is of no comfort to my existential panic
at inevitable fact that one of these days I'm gonna' be forever dead.

Have no idea how someone else would take this statement,
nor can I guess original author's intent.
Oh beat me to it!

I guess I can go the whole there being no past, present or future thing where time is just one big thing jumbled up together. Or I could say something about the soul (or whatever energy you might be composed of) living on for all eternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Foolishness. No more true of me than of my computer mouse or the salt I just put in my potato water. "Me" is a highly specific configuration of the building blocks of the universe. Once that configuration is disrupted, I cease to exist as Me.
This might lead to the question are YOU the same YOU that existed five days ore even a week ago? Cells die, flake off or leave the body and are replaced by new ones every day. Your consciousness is in tact but much of that is nerve endings making chemical connections between cells.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Foolishness. No more true of me than of my computer mouse or the salt I just put in my potato water. "Me" is a highly specific configuration of the building blocks of the universe. Once that configuration is disrupted, I cease to exist as Me.
Well, yes and no. From an individual's frame of reference, 'you' are always 'you' -- your self-identity is intimately connected with your existence. Whatever 'specific configuration' your building blocks take, those building blocks will always consider themselves an 'I'.

'Cogito ergo sum' -- 'I think, therefore I am'. One of the most basic principles of sentience, and the core of self-awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy