Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,329,706 times

Advertisements

Here is a quote from Suzuki Roshi. How do you interpret this? What do you think he meant?

"You will always exist in the universe in one form or another."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,349,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Here is a quote from Suzuki Roshi. How do you interpret this? What do you think he meant?

How I interpret it:

That once I'm dead, my component parts (elements such as carbon & calcium) will disperse across the planet,
matter remains even if not recognizable/identifiable as "the me that once was".
But that sort of unincorporated "existence" is of no comfort to my existential panic
at inevitable fact that one of these days I'm gonna' be forever dead.

Have no idea how someone else would take this statement,
nor can I guess original author's intent.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Foolishness. No more true of me than of my computer mouse or the salt I just put in my potato water. "Me" is a highly specific configuration of the building blocks of the universe. Once that configuration is disrupted, I cease to exist as Me.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,141,808 times
Your body will break down into carbon, oxygen, minerals, water, and other "stuff" Atoms of these things will exist (and that's you!) until they become something else.

Before it became possible to split the atoms, it was though that your atoms would always exist as the atomic structure of something else. The atom could never be completely destroyed, merely changed.

I don't know if that theory is still in effect or not. When an atom is split, it is converted into energy and another atom of some sort.

Then, does the "you" still exist, as a "soul" ?

So it that very basic sense that your atoms will still last throughout eternity, then, yes, you will always exist is some form.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
I think it is so obvious, I refuse to add anything.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,296,713 times
Seeing in others traces of you.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,129,535 times
Quote:

I don't know what he meant, but what this statement COULD mean is this:

Your afterlife will take place in the universe, just like this life was. And even if you reach spiritual states of existence (whatever that may mean), it's still will be taking place in the universe. And if you die and your pattern or your soul is stored somewhere, it is still within the universe.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,329,706 times
My interpretation.... which you should not make too much out of.

I see it as a sort of metaphor meaning that we are a part of this universe which, along with everything in it, is in continuous change. Nothing is permanent.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:

Frankly, I find it puzzling.

The man was a Zen Buddhist teacher of Japanese origin, and yet the statement as it reads here in English seems contrary to the most basic Buddhist thought, i.e. that there is no on-going, permanent self. For example:

"Everything arises because of causes and conditions, they arise and pass away."

"Everything which arises from causes and conditions cannot bring lasting satisfaction;
everything which arise from causes and conditions is impermanent;
everything which arises from causes and conditions is without an unchanging self/essence."

"This body with its mind and other senses, arises from causes and condition. Like all causes and conditions these are impermanent, they arise and pass away."

And so on.

All that I would make out of the quotation is that the chemical elements of my body get used elsewhere, and those particular things which incorporate them will in turn deteriorate and their elements be used elsewhere, and on and on. But as has already been pointed out by someone else, this can hardly be the me that I understand as the particular process of my particular life. Even assuming the mental "energy" (don't know what word would be appropriate there) of my physical body is recycled as are the chemical elements, I still cannot see an individual You in this which the quotation appears to be pointing to.

Thus, not having the man here to ask, I am baffled by his words.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Foolishness. No more true of me than of my computer mouse or the salt I just put in my potato water. "Me" is a highly specific configuration of the building blocks of the universe. Once that configuration is disrupted, I cease to exist as Me.
I agree.

I was thinking that I had a wonderful cat named Pooks a decade ago. He has since died. Maybe elements from his body are to be found in the wood of my desk, say; or in the paper of my books, the paint on the wall.

But even if that should be the case, I would not expect that I were to call, "Here, Pooks. Here, kitty, kitty" that there would be any meows in response. That creature I called Pooks be dead, and me will likewise be totally defunct one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy