Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM

733 posts, read 1,751,785 times

Advertisements

So I thought of this just a few minutes ago as I had attempted to get a movie from a Redbox. Basically, my question is...are you able to trust people you don't know, and if so...how? I tried getting a movie from the redbox, but my card was declined because it was from my workplace and doesn't have a valid zip code. I thought about asking the guy behind me if he'd use his card for me if I gave him cash, but I changed my mind because personally I don't think I'd use my card for someone else. It'd be a nice thing to do, but if they decided not to return the movie, you'd lose $20. Basically, how well do you trust people, especially someone you don't know? I'd like to believe that we could all trust one another, but really we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM

355 posts, read 867,453 times
If you have to ask this question, it's clear you have never been burned. If you have, then why are you asking this question? You can trust that most people will take advantage of any opportunity presented to them, whether that opportunity comes at your expense or not. There is a reason we have police and courts. Sure maybe some people are saints, but that doesn't stop you from locking your doors at night, does it?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
If you have to ask this question, it's clear you have never been burned. If you have, then why are you asking this question? You can trust that most people will take advantage of any opportunity presented to them, whether that opportunity comes at your expense or not. There is a reason we have police and courts. Sure maybe some people are saints, but that doesn't stop you from locking your doors at night, does it?
I think the opposite to what I've bolded is true. An overwhelming majority of people can be trusted when both parties are equals. Most people are disinclined to do anything dishonest against an ordinary citizen of ordinary means, although most people will rip off a bank or utility or corporation or the government if they get a chance. Actually, I don't lock my doors, because I assume that of all the people who walk by, the number that I cannot trust is vanishingly small.

As for the OP's question, learning whom to trust in a personal transaction is something one learns over a lifetime of experience. Most people who betray your trust do so negligently, rather than by design. They intend to fulfull their responsibility as a party to the transaction, but later find that it is too burdensome for them to do so, and they just renege.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,989,203 times
Usually people have to earn a person's trust but that requires giving a little of your trust. That's how it works, even with newborn babies. They learn to trust when their parents or guardians pick them up whenever they cry and their needs are continuously met. They tend to stop crying altogether when they've given up faith that their parents will come get them. Basically, they've stopped offering up a bit of their trust as well.

But in situations like that it's about being willing to take a slightly greater risk as you don't know this person and you don't know have sufficient experience to decide whether or not you can trust this person. Flip side, you don't know this person and you don't have sufficient experience to decide whether or not you can trust this person. So it's really just a matter or whether or not you're willing to take the risk.

Had you asked, the person might've said yes and you would've gotten your movie and if you're trustworthy, you'd return the movie as is expected by that person and the company. The person could've said no. They also have that option. Least you did your part to build trust.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM

18,881 posts, read 27,342,285 times
Too trustful - bad.
Too distrustful - bad.
Anything in-between - experience.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,127,899 times
Trusting someone is like gambling. You never know whether you win or lose. I prefer to be on the safe side and not gamble (not trust).

But overall, mistrust creates worse conditions within society.

Plus, whether we trust or not depends on our experiences. If we watch movies and see people betray each other, we learn mistrust (even though it didn't happen to us in real life).

So, I think, that to make a better society, people should show movies where people trust each other, thus, creating a trusting attitude within the watchers, which would probably pay off in the long run because there are probably more good people than bad people overall.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,220,845 times
I'll only trust a stranger with what I can afford to lose...is that still trust though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy