U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,695,817 times

Advertisements

My beloved aunt lived to be 95 and the last 10 years of her life were not the easiest for her. Many times she told me she would have been happy to die in her 80s. She didn't have any terminal illness, just the frailty and limited mobility of old age that kept her from doing many things she enjoyed when younger. Unlike her, I have a child who I wouldn't want to traumatize by committing suicide, but I can certainly understand how she felt and why it crossed her mind. In my state, if one does have a terminal illness with limited time to live, you can request assisted suicide if two doctors agree to your prognosis. This gives me a lot of peace of mind as I know I don't have to suffer the end stages of any painful, debilitating diseases, and waste money doing do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,454,068 times
Anyone can kill themselves if they want..that's voluntary...that's suicide. Giving the Doctors the power to kill is completely different..It's contradictory to the hippocratic oath that a physician takes, part of the newest updated version being..." I will give no drugs for deadly purposes to any person, though it be asked of me"...I fear handing this power of death over to a doctor who I see and want to keep on seeing..as being there to heal...I feel that there will be abuse and many unwanted deaths...once the door is "open" so to speak...I especially fear for the elders whose voice may not be so loud as they'd want it.....http://rense.com/general63/euth.htm

Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Anyone can kill themselves if they want..that's voluntary...that's suicide. Giving the Doctors the power to kill is completely different..It's contradictory to the hippocratic oath that a physician takes, part of the newest updated version being..." I will give no drugs for deadly purposes to any person, though it be asked of me"...I fear handing this power of death over to a doctor who I see and want to keep on seeing..as being there to heal...I feel that there will be abuse and many unwanted deaths...once the door is "open" so to speak...I especially fear for the elders whose voice may not be so loud as they'd want it.....Warning - Are You Being Targeted For Euthanasia?

The doctors do not administer the drugs. They prescribe them. Technically they are not giving the drugs to the patient; they are giving the ability to obtain them.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ed-study-finds

I think keeping someone in extreme pain alive, as happened to one of my relatives was when she had bone cancer, is cruel. We treat our pets better than that.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Right ukiyo-e..some of us do, just like some of us wouldn't keep someone who's terminal and in extreme pain alive.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,880,077 times
I support physician assisted end of life assistance. All you have to do is go into a nursing home and understand the need.
Those that cannot come to terms with this reality, just don't understand the horror that these people must endure. We need to be more compassionate than that. Life ends when it is not worth living and there are all kinds of diseases that rob people of their lives. Why make them suffer?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,450,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
There is nothing "permanent" about this situation. Many people turn their lives around and become functioning members of socirity after being in this predicament.
AIDS is permanent.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,811,993 times
No one should be forced to live against their will. This is why I'm against suicide watch for inmates. Let them die if they so wish. Terminally ill people, the same. They should be able to die if they wish. I am for humane euthanasia. In fact, I do not differentiate between valid or invalid, right or wrong, or justied or unjustified suicide. It's all valid. It is that person's own life to end if they so wish, and they should be able without regard for the reason. The reason doesn't matter at all to me. No one owns their life except their own self, and therefore no one is better suited to make that decision. Whether it's due to mental illness, a breakup, financial problems, a bad day, or a cloud in the sky, if they want to die, more power to them.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times
Do you know what happens in a nursing home today, if you so much as mention you'll like to die/kill yourself, even jokingly? You're Legal 2000'd to a Pscyh ward at a hospital, even if you're in your 80's!
There, they try hard to knock some sense into you! I work in a nursing home, and that just happened not too long ago, all she said was: If I can't return to Mexico, I want to die! The psychiatrist was alerted, and off she went! Came back, lived another 2 weeks, and died! The trauma/terror of being that Psych ward I blame for it!

Force-feeding these miserable creatures at Guantanamo Bay who want to die, who have lived in isolation cells for years, some completely innocent, all in violation of the Geneva conventions, that scares me enough to want to carry a cyanide capsule with me at all times! Suicide-proof prisons today!

If anyone wants to leave this poor-excuse-for-a-planet, for any reason, disturbed over not having bowel movement for 24 hours, has a right to vacate this planet!

Losing a job, and invalid reason for committing suicide? Oh please! For many, it's a slow path to death for many, losing their jobs today!

And if slow suicides (alcoholics/drug addicts/workaholics) are permitted, why not others?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,766,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
The doctors do not administer the drugs. They prescribe them. Technically they are not giving the drugs to the patient; they are giving the ability to obtain them.

Physician-Assisted Suicide Program Rarely Used, Study Finds - US News and World Report

I think keeping someone in extreme pain alive, as happened to one of my relatives was when she had bone cancer, is cruel. We treat our pets better than that.
i agree,

Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
No one should be forced to live against their will. This is why I'm against suicide watch for inmates. Let them die if they so wish. Terminally ill people, the same. They should be able to die if they wish. I am for humane euthanasia. In fact, I do not differentiate between valid or invalid, right or wrong, or justied or unjustified suicide. It's all valid. It is that person's own life to end if they so wish, and they should be able without regard for the reason. The reason doesn't matter at all to me. No one owns their life except their own self, and therefore no one is better suited to make that decision. Whether it's due to mental illness, a breakup, financial problems, a bad day, or a cloud in the sky, if they want to die, more power to them.
If you won't differentiate between valid and invalid, right or wrong, justified or unjustified, why would you support euthanasia (killing)?..suicide is not the same as "being" killed...it's the taking of ones own life, by ones own self...suicides have been around forever and probably always will be. When it comes to giving the power of YOUR death to someone else, it's a different story...thus the kinder words of "assisted suicide", or "euthanasia"....kinder to the killers anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy