Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

I started reading a bit about logic some time ago and have quite enjoyed it. I do need some help with a statement recently made in the media which seems to me to be based on floppy logic.

It fell out of a nasty mass murder in which people were shot on the street almost at random. Shortly after the shooter was captured, a local politician tried to reassure a shaken city by announcing that the streets were as safe now as they had been before the shooting spree started. To me, that's just loopy. The streets were obviously not all that safe originally as some wacko could pop up and start a gun battle.

Is the way I am looking at his pronouncement wrong or was the original statement illogical? If the latter, how would such a fallacy be classified?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM

774 posts, read 903,532 times
The shooter was captured so the city is safer but there are other shooters out there so the city is just as safe as it was before.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM

11,970 posts, read 8,289,652 times
I wouldn't try too hard to make sense out of anything a politician says.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,435,416 times
Maybe a post hoc argument of correlation/causation? This incident made the street unsafe, therefore the lack of safety on this street is only due to this incident.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,921,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmie View Post
I started reading a bit about logic some time ago and have quite enjoyed it. I do need some help with a statement recently made in the media which seems to me to be based on floppy logic.

It fell out of a nasty mass murder in which people were shot on the street almost at random. Shortly after the shooter was captured, a local politician tried to reassure a shaken city by announcing that the streets were as safe now as they had been before the shooting spree started. To me, that's just loopy. The streets were obviously not all that safe originally as some wacko could pop up and start a gun battle.

Is the way I am looking at his pronouncement wrong or was the original statement illogical? If the latter, how would such a fallacy be classified?

Thanks.

Your first mistake was believing that people are always logical.
Your second mistake was believing that a politician could be logical.

Now don't try to tear those statements apart looking for the logic. You just might hurt yourself... lol.

PS: Welcome to City-Data.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,577 times
Thanks. Politicians and truth are mutually exclusive, and how well I know it. Thanks for your help, all.

Bunjee, that's closer than I was before. Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I wouldn't try too hard to make sense out of anything a politician says.
. . . nor the media, which uncritically distributes their grandiose pronouncements..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,921,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . nor the media, which uncritically distributes their grandiose pronouncements..
You are so right about that... sorry I missed that nugget!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,127,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Maybe a post hoc argument of correlation/causation? This incident made the street unsafe, therefore the lack of safety on this street is only due to this incident.
I think so too. People sort of assume that the streets are "safe" relatively speaking until some incident occurs. Then some start being afraid, and then when the threat is removed, they start to feel that it's safe again.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 AM

19,797 posts, read 13,333,831 times
I think it is a function of us being pattern-matching creatures. Or more exactly, we notice aberrant patterns. Most citizens are relatively law-abiding and non-violent. The gunman was a huge aberration. The aberration now being removed, the threat is removed. I hate to admit it, but in terms of what it actually was, the politician's statement was logical. Overgeneralizing its intended meaning is overthinking it. The politician was not saying that something like this could never happen again. He was saying that we can put this aberration behind us and rest assured he is not still an actor.

I think politicians, being human, probably have more sense than we sometimes give them credit for. At some level that politician knew that a slightly more evolved train of thought would be to assess how that aberration came to be and take steps to minimize the probability that it would ever happen again. But that quickly becomes complex and impractical because such aberrations arise out of things far beyond the scope of city government and the will of society to act. It would require society to address mental health care, attitudes towards mental health care, attitudes towards health care spending generally, gun control, and attitudes towards gun control, and it would require an effort that's national in scope. And so it is more pragmatic to just say, the threat is past, nothing to worry about here, move along folks, and let's return to business as usual and hope for the best. That fulfills one of a politician's main functions, which is to provide for that ever-nebulous "common good" which particularly at the city government level is restoring the balance of law and order and public faith therein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy