Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Actually its the world. Often they grow up not with any real world work experience. Now days there are no paper routes and by per cent age few ever have work experience until they graduate form high school and often college.If not dangers its liability of having young workers doning anything that takes care. I am actually grateful I worked all my life from age ten starting with a paper route. Heck few parents would trust their kid at that age now being out at 4am to deliver on Sundays or collecting until eight other nights .Even fewer actually experience the military at young age which I learned a lot from .Today life is often more dangerous than the past with all the thugs;drugs and perverts doing their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:04 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
It could be the unintended consequence of protecting children from abuse, low self-esteem, danger - and the pendulum has swung way too far in the other direction. Or it could be Baby Boomer narcissism extended to their progeny. But, to be fair, I'm a Gen X'er, and I know quite a few people I went to school with who thought their sh*t didn't stink.

I would not want to be a teenager or young adult today. At least when we were bullied, there was no such thing as the ubiquitous camera phone or YouTube. And student loans and other expenses weren't quite as oppressive. I will say that I deal with Baby Boomers and elderly people on a daily basis and I've quickly disabused myself of the notion that maturity is a linear process and a natural consequence of getting older. Some of these people, I want to put them over my knee sometimes because they can act as bratty as any two-year-old.
Agree with your 2nd paragraph and thank you for understanding the implication that social media has given bullies an outlet that wouldn't have been there or at least so prevalent when you were in HS. It adds a whole other dimension to bullying and still too little is done to really crack down on it.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 25,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
I am 32 and would have to say your initial post is overall accurate, although I do have to mention that not all of the younger generation is this way, albeit most of it is. I have many young friends and family who are like you described and I believe the root cause to be the lack of parenting. I believe much of this is caused by broken households (divorces), single parenting, and lack of discipline because of these reasons.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The product of Helicopter Parenting
Exactly.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
To the extent that there's any truth to this, and it isn't just a lot of selective observational malarky, I would chalk it up to ever increasing industrial production. Every decade we have more machines and factories that do more and more labor that humans used to do by hand. This creates tangible wealth, fewer labor hours that need to be spent. It also creates greater potential for wealth disparity because there's simply more per capita wealth available.

Why should anyone feel like they're supposed to be a hard working sucker, at low pay, when the very government and leadership borrows trillions of dollars indefinitely and has no moral leadership whatsoever on hard work and frugality? These concepts are not rewarded in US society and might even be regarded as quaint. Some people try to hold up "hard work" as a differentiator of economic status, but there's no evidence for it anymore. The real pattern is "who you know," how much of a schmoozer you are, and the accident of why you have access to such human resources.

People become cynical about wealth and its manufacture. They sense the reality that the modern machines are cranking out all the tangible value, that human beings really shouldn't be working and slaving at stuff anymore, and that the ruling elites are living pretty high on the hog doing very close to nothing. We need look no farther than our Congress, which shuts down for a couple of weeks, and doesn't even have much impact on most people for having done so.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
How about the fact that everything they do has to be acknowledged.. EVERYONE has to win.. no losers... EVERYONE has to have a graduation from each grade... EVERYONE HAS TO be allowed to do EVERYTHING (i.e. I am a girl and I demand to play boys sports or I will sue, I am a boy and will sue you if you do not let me in the girl scouts, I should start as a manager instead of as a worker bee)... Why should I get a job my parents will get me anything I want..... etc, etc, etc

Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
How about the fact that everything they do has to be acknowledged.. EVERYONE has to ..... etc, etc, etc
Sweeping generalize much?

Old 12-25-2013, 03:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
How about the fact that everything they do has to be acknowledged.. EVERYONE has to win.. no losers... EVERYONE has to have a graduation from each grade... EVERYONE HAS TO be allowed to do EVERYTHING (i.e. I am a girl and I demand to play boys sports or I will sue, I am a boy and will sue you if you do not let me in the girl scouts, I should start as a manager instead of as a worker bee)... Why should I get a job my parents will get me anything I want..... etc, etc, etc
It's called progression (e.g. a girl being able to play sports solely dominated by males in the past). The rest of your post is just sweeping generalizations and nonsense. You sound quite bitter actually.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
You are certainly painting this younger generation with a wide brush, my kids went out and got partime jobs when they were 16 and had jobs all through their schooling and subsequently through college with no pushing from the wife and I.
Do you have any research data on your claim? obviously you cant be implying all the younger generation
Lack commitment, are self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work.
Is there any fact behind your opinion?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:32 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
It's called progression (e.g. a girl being able to play sports solely dominated by males in the past). The rest of your post is just sweeping generalizations and nonsense. You sound quite bitter actually.
I'm not bitter..I am retired and grew up in a generation that actually took responsibily for their actions and learned how to do things on their own...

And those ain't generalizations.. U see it all the time... I suppose you are one of those people who can't do anything for yourself and had to be goaded into growing up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy