Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I'm not bitter..I am retired and grew up in a generation that actually took responsibily for their actions and learned how to do things on their own...

And those ain't generalizations.. U see it all the time... I suppose you are one of those people who can't do anything for yourself and had to be goaded into growing up...
And yet another fallacy, everyone of your generation was a model upstanding citizen.

Yeah, O.K. sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 AM

35 posts, read 51,847 times
I think as more of society becomes atheist, culture will become less bigoted about social issues and get smarter on average. But I think that religion is a source of morality and principles for a lot of people, and society may have become more crude in a lot of ways since religion started to lose power on common people. I would definitely agree that younger people have become a bit fat and lazy, at least physically and with their exposure to pain. The average life 100 years ago usually involved a lot of hard labor and physical pain. But younger people also have way more access to information and more ability to move up in society today.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 PM

855 posts, read 623,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
It seems like it’s always the next generation that’s supposedly lacking somehow.
This perception is
nothing new. I’ll share here what I shared earlier in another thread:
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of
exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict
their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize
their teachers.” ~ Socrates, 469BC - 399BC
Personally, I’d rather deal with a young whipper-shnapper who doesn’t believe in
hard work than one who believes blacks should be slaves or women shouldn’t
vote. Yep… previous generations have their drawbacks too.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
OK, I think I have heard of this before.....

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

-Aristotle.

Not a new idea by any means.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
It seems like it’s always the next generation that’s supposedly lacking somehow.
This perception is
nothing new. I’ll share here what I shared earlier in another thread:
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of
exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict
their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize
their teachers.” ~ Socrates, 469BC - 399BC
Personally, I’d rather deal with a young whipper-shnapper who doesn’t believe in
hard work than one who believes blacks should be slaves or women shouldn’t
vote. Yep… previous generations have their drawbacks too.

Lol dammit!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I am a boomer, actually just a tad too old to be one (born in 1944). I do NOT hold up my own generation to be ideal. Just think of the 1970's, when for the first time in human history fairly large numbers of people started partaking in drugs other than tobacco and alcohol. Talk about entitlement! And they were boomers. Those people (I did not participate, as many of us didn't) felt entitled to seek gratification in the shortest term. They were rejecting the working world of their parents and destroying themselves in order to rebel. Of course many of them woke up from their insanity and became responsible people and are now in responsible positions in their fifties and sixties, but they remain a huge blot on the boomer generation. But some of them never recovered and are now dying in the gutters. We boomers should never get too smug about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy