U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,883,681 times

Advertisements

I think it's been widely reported that the most entitled generation in the history of the planet are American Baby Boomers. Not from some moral/philosophical standpoint, but in cold hard dollars and their insistence on protecting everything they are "owed" by flexing their voting muscle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
The notion that our generation has been spoiled rotten is not a terribly new thought. A dozen years ago Paul Begala (of Bill Clinton and CNN fame) published in Esquire the classic of boomer-loathing, “The Worst Generation.” “The Baby Boomers are the most self-centered, self-seeking, self-interested, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing generation in American history,” he declared. It’s a sturdy genre. Perhaps while Googling yourself you have come across the blog Boomer Deathwatch (“Because one day, they’ll all be dead”), a checklist of famous boomers who hit their actuarial sell-by dates. Even Barack Obama, who styles himself post-boomer though he was born in 1961, complained in “The Audacity of Hope” that today’s hyperpolarized political discourse began with the “psychodrama of the baby boom generation.”

In 1962, we were laying down the foundations of prosperity. About 32 cents of every federal dollar, excluding interest payments, was spent on investments, only 14 percent on entitlements. In the mid-70s the lines crossed. Today we spend less than 15 cents on investment and 46 cents on entitlements. And it gets worse. By 2030, when the last of us boomers have surged onto the Social Security rolls, entitlements will consume 61 cents of every federal dollar, starving our already neglected investment and leaving us, in the words of the study, with “a less-skilled work force, lower rates of job creation, and an infrastructure unfit for a 21st-century economy.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,741,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Older generations always gripe about the younger and how much better they were when they were growing up.

There will always be examples of the extreme and that's what makes the news.

The young people I know are not this way. Most have worked while teens. They are good kids who have value and morals. Bashing the younger generation gets tiresome.

Are there entitled kids? Yes. And there always have been.
Thank you--very well said. The young people I know best are also not like this. They are very competitive, work hard and are goal oriented. They also realize that some of the material wealth of their parents is not necessarily what they strive for in their lives.

They want the latest gadgets certainly, but they also don't seem to have the "keep up with the Jones'" mentality that many older people do in terms of housing and autos. They spend their money differently, and that is their right.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM

16,075 posts, read 18,580,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.

Easy blame baby boomer parents who raised in a larger scope gave birth to children of the Gen Y generation.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM

42,713 posts, read 41,426,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
At least they learn at school that "self-entitled" is the opposite of "entitled". And they don't go writing "entitled" (which means they are due it) when they actually mean self-entitled (which means they imagine they are due it).

Dingdong posters on here can't say that.
Either one is more tolerable than a pedant.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Easy blame baby boomer parents who raised in a larger scope gave birth to children of the Gen Y generation.
No, the ones who really should be blamed are the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents parents of the parents of the parents of the parents of the parents...that raised the current generation. So, these guys...

...those darn Neandarthal's. Man, I bet that kid didn't even kill the animal it's little fur outfit is made from. I bet dad went out, hunted it down and then mom skinned it and turned into clothes. I bet that kid didn't even build the fire that cooked the meat and tanned the hide. If they keep that up, they're going to go extinct...

Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM

970 posts, read 1,823,266 times
Older generations are always complaining about the younger generations being entitled and self-absorbed.

Younger generations are always complaining about the older generations being racist and intolerant.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,550,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As a Boomer I know a lot of Boomer parents.

The VAST majority of their children work very hard and do not have a sense of entitlement. But thousands of them don't get our attention. One "gimme everything because I'm special" ding-dong sitting in Mom's basement whining about the cable being out does. Easy.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,487,801 times
The only lazy folks I see at my job are the older ones (40+).

Those that think my generation is entitled are either pretending to be stupid or are stupid. I'm inclined to believe the latter because growing up in the US between the 50's and the 90's was just too easy.

Government workers are some of the laziest workers this side of the Atlantic. What percentage of government workers are Gen Y? Maybe 20%, if that?

Does most of Gen Y have guaranteed pensions, health insurance, and 401(k)'s? Is Gen Y practically given a middle class job as long as they graduate college like older generations were?

A lot of you older folks had it too easy. You'd never cut it in our world. You need to tell yourselves that the results you obtained are because of hard work and sacrifice when in reality it was just a result of the US being the dominant (by a long shot) global economic power post WWII and a lot of you losers just reaped the benefits.

You can try to weave your kokamammie narrative all you want; it's pure bull****.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,386,203 times
I am the parent of a 19 year old college student and a 17 year old senior in high school (and a younger teen also). I know plenty of young adults. Not caricatures of young adults, but real, live young people. None of their friends are as described by the OP.

I see kids who are concerned for their future. I see kids who didn't work in the summers during high school because they couldn't find jobs. I see kids who are worried that their college educations will be a waste of time and money. I don't see a whole lot of entitled, whiners though.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,153,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I really question what parents are teaching their kids these days in terms of morals, values and so on. These days the kids are so worried about what someone will think of them that they're too good to do certain types of jobs unless it pays LOTS of money.
It's a combination of the parents not wanting their kids to 'go through' what they went through(discipline etc),plus the fear of the law saying you can't even discipline them anymore...then there's whoever controls the media and what they say to the youth,vapid shallow garbage tv where everyone is a 'diva' and has their 15 minutes of celebrity etc.

That's what's wrong with this generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or