U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,042,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Going on interviews with their grown child? Really? Never heard of that before.
I hear that is very common with college interviews now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,546,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Is Gen Y practically given a middle class job as long as they graduate college like older generations were?

Wowza! They were practically giving out middle class jobs? Were Boomers included in on that bonanza because.... sheesh...... there should have been a memo so my entire graduating class would have been alerted. We'd have been all spiffy lookin' and ready to be handed the big bucks the day after graduation.

What poopie news to learn.

Oh. One more question: was the "too easy" part before or after the guys came back from Vietnam?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,240,654 times
As another poster once said in another thread...

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
- 423 BC

"There is nothing new under the sun."
- Ecclesiastes 1:9

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,035,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I grew up being taught that hard work was important no matter what type of job you got. :
If hard work were such a wonderful thing, the rich would keep it all to themselves.

I think your parents confused "hard work" with "showing up on time in the morning and doing what you were told". I'm going to guess that you have never done a hard days work in your life. If you want to know what hard work is, go and watch rice planters in Indonesia or tin miners in Bolivia or stevedores in Nigeria. Or some day next month (July), go and spend a day in your own town with a roofing crew making near minimum wage up on top of a building in the sun.

There were people in past generations who really did hard work, and the reason they did it was so their children and grandchildren would not have to. It is a slap in the face to the older generation, who did work hard, to tell them that all that was for nothing, and no entitlement was gained by their descendants, who have to still keep on working just as hard. That would be a form of perpetual slavery, that nobody can ever work their way out of, passed down through the generations.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-28-2013 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 896,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
I just think that you have a very generalized, entropied, negative and rather pathetic outlook on a group of people you would like to attack for your own personal indulgence - and based on a few negative experiences. If you had a more balanced view on life, you might notice that there are many young people who will do anything to make an honest day's pay, and are more than happy to go off and make it for themselves in this world, without being dependent on anybody. That you choose to look at the black side of reality and denounce a whole agegroup of people in this way says a lot about you, and how many friends you likely don't have.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,878,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Those that think my generation is entitled are either pretending to be stupid or are stupid. I'm inclined to believe the latter because growing up in the US between the 50's and the 90's was just too easy.
Those who know me, know that my post above about Boomers was more tongue-in-cheek then anything. However, do you honestly believe what you just said?

Mutual Assured Destruction, Duck and Cover, Korean War, Red Scare, Civil Rights Movement, Race Riots, Berlin Wall, Sputnik, Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK Assassination, Murder of Medgar Evers, MLK Assassination, Vietnam, Draft Riots, Mao's Cultural Revolution, Zodiac Killer, RFK Assassination, Tet Offensive, Manson Family, Kent State, Watergate, Terrorist Attack at Munich, Roe v Wade, Ayatollah, Iran Hostage Crisis, Three Mile Island...DISCO...that barely gets us through to 1980...

Without a doubt people who grew up from the mid-90's through to today have enjoyed a United States that is incredibly stable, safe and secure, like no other generation has.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM

750 posts, read 1,264,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I hear that is very common with college interviews now
As a recently retired university instructor, I can attest to the truthiness of this. Some parents can be very involved in their "child's" life, into adulthood. Not ALL, by any stretch of the imagination, but when you encounter them, they are memorable.

I once had a parent show up on my doorstep (oh goody, here I am painting the bathroom and looking like a spattered, disheveled bum) to hand in her daughter's very late term paper. Her daughter had gone on vacation. I still don't know if mom or the student actually wrote the paper. I gave mom credit for using her research skills to find out where I lived. But not for showing up unannounced.

I had parents call me to tell me their "child" was ill or out of town and couldn't make it to class, and ask me to send them my lecture notes.

Parents sometimes called on behalf of their children to argue grades. Or tried to. Fortunately, I was legally prohibited from discussing these issues with them.

So yes, helicopter parents can create an attitude of self-entitlement, but I saw more learned helplessness than anything else. It was sad to see intelligent, potentially excellent students stunted by their parents' neediness.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,084,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Those who know me, know that my post above about Boomers was more tongue-in-cheek then anything. However, do you honestly believe what you just said?

Mutual Assured Destruction, Duck and Cover, Korean War, Red Scare, Civil Rights Movement, Race Riots, Berlin Wall, Sputnik, Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK Assassination, Murder of Medgar Evers, MLK Assassination, Vietnam, Draft Riots, Mao's Cultural Revolution, Zodiac Killer, RFK Assassination, Tet Offensive, Manson Family, Kent State, Watergate, Terrorist Attack at Munich, Roe v Wade, Ayatollah, Iran Hostage Crisis, Three Mile Island...DISCO...that barely gets us through to 1980...

Without a doubt people who grew up from the mid-90's through to today have enjoyed a United States that is incredibly stable, safe and secure, like no other generation has.
I grew up with memories of the following:

Regan assassination attempt, Iran contra affair, Chernobyl, The Nightstalker, Pan Am 103, Challenger explosion, Exxon/Valdez, Rodney King, L.A. Riots, Iraq/Kuwait War, Waco, the first WTC bombing, Prop 187, Affirmative action, OKC bombing, OJ, Bosina/Sarajevo, Clinton/Impeachment, Columbine, Gore/Bush election, 9/11, WMDs, the 2nd Iraq war, the gulf of Mexico spill, the financial meltdown...the recent school/other shootings/Boston bombing, gay rights, Roe vs Wade... still, NSA/wikileaks...

Granted you've lived through all of this too, and the things that happened in the 60's and 70's in America were big social changes that took courage.

But we're still fighting wars, still afraid of terrorism, spying on ourselves and others, in deadlock politically on every single issue, and still trying to dig ourselves out of this economic mess. It isn't as safe, stable, secure relative to my generation.

I do not agree with the other poster; I do not think the 50's-70's were an "easy" time to live, but I don't think the past 30 years have been a bed of roses either.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 5,974 times
Nowadays parents are raising their children to be soft - plain and simple. There's no value placed on hard work or education and kids are handed everything that they get. I'm not clear on when this mentality started; but I'm only eight years older than my twin brother and sister and they seem to carry that sense of self-entitlement as well. They're 25 and, at times, seem to think that the whole world should revolve around the things that they do and the way that they think. I can't figure it out... We had the same parents. lol.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM

1,032 posts, read 896,462 times
Statements like the one above are so generalised - it's quite irritating to read such negative comments from people. As somebody in that agegroup, who also knows many others in that age group - I know that such people are in a real minority - most people 18-25 for example, have some kind of part time job even if still at college or school, and want to be as independent as possible and make a life on their own, not be given it or handed it, because that brings no sense of personal satisfaction.

Most people my age group really don't think the world "revolves around them". Sure they need jobs and have to stand out, but many have worked at university, got a degree and have a strong work ethic and yes that does deserve some kind of recognition.

It is ignorant because you don't know about the life of all these people you smear with the same brush. It's like describing all dogs as evil because a minority attack children, same type of thing.

And with this attitude it seems like a case of "damned if we do, damned if we don't".

If someone my age was more passive, or not making it into the world as quickly as you think they should it would be "oh young people are all so lazy", but the moment we try and make ourselves known, and advertise our strengths and go out and make a life you're like "oh they think it's all about them".

This type of attitude only drags people down and tries to make them feel negative - good for absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Weatherfan7; 06-28-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or