U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,425,339 times

Advertisements

I was always told in life that a college education is a must if you want to suceed. Is that true ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,444,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I was always told in life that a college education is a must if you want to suceed. Is that true ?
For most people, yes.

Not everyone will become an entrepreneur, nor will they go on to be famous actors, performers, etc.

You define success for yourself. But for certain aspects of growth and to pursue many of the things people want to pursue, a degree is required. Nursing, for example, or engineering.

Many companies won't give you a glance without one so your chances of succeeding in a college degree requiring world is much harder.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM

78,657 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The product of Helicopter Parenting
Why invented helicopter parenting, and why? How did this parenting style come to exist, and why is it so widespread?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why invented helicopter parenting, and why? How did this parenting style come to exist, and why is it so widespread?
The mass media, ringing up a healthy profit constantly screaming at us about all the things we need to fear.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,082,614 times
Quote:
It is so often true (98% or better) than I might as well say yes.

I have always pulled down a very comfortable income on a High School education but it's because I was able to take advantage of a very narrow window of opportunity in the late 1970's and early 1980's at the beginning of the personal computer revolution, where society gave you a free pass if you "knew computers". I am a 99% self-taught software developer and that would not fly today because education has caught up to the needs of businesses and because today your average Man On The Street thinks they "know computers", so they are not so uncritically in awe of such knowledge.

When I started out it was almost a waste of time to take computer science at the college level because you would get a totally outdated education in mainframe technology, COBOL, FORTRAN, etc., which would be completely useless in the personal computer world ... even today CS degrees are heavy on theory and light on practice but back then it was even worse, often it was the mathematics department that would run the CS degree program and the computer was regarded as a glorified calculator in the service of math, not as a line-of-business tool.

I would like to take credit for my brilliance in seizing this opportunity but I really just stumbled into it and got extremely lucky (plus I had high natural aptitude for the work). The odds of you correctly identifying an opportunity like that, the opportunity being suited to you, etc., are next to zilch.

I had the very devil of a time convincing my children that they needed a college education and couldn't be self-made like Dad.

The middle ground for you today though is a balance between theory and practice. Many college degrees don't really prepare you for real world application of the knowledge conferred by a degree, so what college you attend and what track you choose is arguably less important than taking advantage of internships (paid or otherwise), apprenticeships, judiciously chosen extra-curricular activities, etc. I have dealt with plenty of people who are degreed but couldn't program their way out of a paper bag and I'm sure this is true in other fields of endeavor as well. Make sure you are ready to hit the ground running -- find out what employers want in their hiring activity and then position yourself accordingly. They'll demand the sheepskin, but they will also appreciate actual experience and evidence of interest and passion on your part.

Also based on my own experience and that of my children and stepchildren, do NOT depend on "guidance counselors" to proactively advise you or tailor your activities for you. They can be of some help but you really have to drive the process -- do the research and choose your profession, your college, your courses, and your extracurriculars as if you livelihood depended on it -- because it does.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,014,560 times
The ones who are self-entitled are usually the ones who didn't have to work hard for anything. It all came easy. That goes for young and old.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,021,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Parents are doing the following:
- Everything for their children
- Not making the children take responsibility
- Not teaching children the value of a dollar
- Not teaching their children that one has to work for what they have.

Then, they tell their kid if they go to college, they will make $100,000,000 a year working a plush job that requires them to do nothing all day.

I didn't really think I would appreciate it growing up, but I'm actually thankful that I grew up poor. Instead of expecting everything to be given to me, I know that I need to work for what I have. I know if I make a mistake, I'll have to own up to it and make it right. I know the value of a dollar.

I'm smack dab in the middle of the entitlement generation - it irritates me what people my age expect to get away with.
The parents with no time for their kids by chance or choice indulge the kids with material things. Most kids don't have chores anymore. And, surely one's kids have to out do the neighbors or the relatives kids when it comes to having things because that shows the parent cares - yeah, cares about how they look under the Monetary indulgence = Love. Narcissistic parents spawning narcissistic children.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,425,339 times
If i had children i would want them to go to college or at least learn a trade. I surely wouldnt spoil them & give them whatever they want like MANY parents do. I believe this generation is quite lazy & spoiled.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,261,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Indeed, the laziest and most "entitled" people I encounter are much older.
This sounds crazy but I've seen it first hand on a couple of occasions. Employee X had 30 years of experience, was a registered P.E. and had a masters degree in Environmental Engineering but was deeply insulted when he was assigned to accompany me and my lowly bachelors degree in Civil Engineering and 5 years of experience on some field work. He argued with the owner almost to the point of losing his job and was a total fargon ice ho during the entire project.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
I don't have one. I'm doing just fine.

Was it easy? No. Would it have been any easier if I had completed a degree? I'm not so sure... I'm intelligent enough, but not an academic. I don't like classrooms. I don't like the academic environment. I never have, and attempts to get back into it for the purpose of a degree have fallen flat. All told, it was probably easier for me to spend my late teens/early 20's working my butt off for fairly low wages but working my way up the experience ladder and eventually to a point where I don't actually need a degree to be in an upper/executive management position because of my resume, experience, and contacts.

I also don't have to write off a chunk of my monthly income to student loans.

Incidentally, I grew up with basically no sense of entitlement; I was actually treated fairly harshly and wasn't ever allowed to congratulate myself, for anything, lest I be torn down for hubris and arrogance. God forbid my dad every thought I was gloating about something... we were also flat-freakin' broke, and as the oldest child and only male, I was bottom priority for resources. Asking for an extra portion of dinner would get me sternly shot down; asking for a new pair of pants or a (frozen) pizza at the wrong moment could get me yelled at and grounded. It was actually a pretty crap childhood... well, regardless, I've never felt as though I "deserve" a job, or that I'm "entitled" to one.

There are a large number of us millennials who don't feel entitled to anything and work for what we have, but you don't really hear much from us, because we don't expect anything, and that doesn't sell magazines or get ratings on TV shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or