U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,862,862 times

Advertisements

My grandfathers generation was taught to fight for his country, to be true to his wife no matter what and foreever, to work hard and provide for his family.

I as well as most of my generation (I'm 24) have been taught to be opportunistic,
That women come and go, once you crave the next you can just divorce the first.
That the united states is so good at making itself a target for being everyones enemies that countries like my own doesn't need a military for anything else than showcasing the weaponry we produce so that we can sell it to the united states,
That I can always fall back on my mom if things go south,
That nothing in life has to be taken serious,
That I usually know better than everyone else around me.

And perhabs the root to the problem: That kids always come above all.

I'm not saying parents should stop caring about their kids well-being, but when people are so busy to hover over every single second, and trying to prevent every single misstake of their children, I think it makes for a porclain, "playstation generation" kid, who grows up to be a "kidult" instead of an "adult".

In my opinion people need to realize that children/adolecents need to make their misstakes to learn from them, curling them around won't help anyone.

I and everyone I know were curled every moment up until moving away from home, and then we're suddenly supposed to be grown adults from being kids in a transition of 24 hours, instead of learning to be on our way to adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
Default Self indulgent lot

The young generation are very self indulgent, self, self & more self, its all about them. Sure us older generation complain about the younger generation, but crikey, they really do have tickets on them-
selves, just look at the selfies they post & how they treat each other & the older generation - hardly
any respect at all, the most self-inflated youngsters of all time.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,538,128 times
Nope. And I am sure this is something older generations have always said about generations below them. I do not believe that my generation are any more or less self entitle, unless there was some sort of massive genetic change in humans born of the last 30 years.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,179,365 times
Oh lord another youth bashing thread on the internet...how original! You know you can rag on us all you want but we didn't wreck this country. We didn't put this nation into unmanageable debt. We didn't start the Vietnamese War, the first Gulf War, or the "War on Terror." We didn't crash the housing market. We didn't mismanage Social Security or retirement pension funds. We haven't been voting for the same corrupt parties and politicians regularly for the past 40+ years.

You know who did? Baby Boomers by and large. You know who is going to have to clean up YOUR mess? We are, the Millennials, that's who. WE are fighting YOUR wars. I work damn hard to put myself through school while raising a family and working full time. I know plenty of other people my age in the same situation. So I get sick and tired of hearing old fuddie duddies who were part of the generation that turned our nation into a train wreck raging on my generation. So you just sit back and let us clean up your mess while you enjoy your golden retirement years with Social Security and/or a pension because my generation likely won't reap those benefits.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflymaggs View Post
The young generation are very self indulgent, self, self & more self, its all about them. Sure us older generation complain about the younger generation, but crikey, they really do have tickets on them-
selves, just look at the selfies they post & how they treat each other & the older generation - hardly
any respect at all, the most self-inflated youngsters of all time.
Oh please the only reason the older generations didn't play video games, or take "selfies" is because they didn't exist back then! You really think you are so different from me? And besides if the younger generations are really lazy and worthless what does that say about the parenting skills of the older generation?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh lord another youth bashing thread on the internet...how original! You know you can rag on us all you want but we didn't wreck this country. We didn't put this nation into unmanageable debt. We didn't start the Vietnamese War, the first Gulf War, or the "War on Terror." We didn't crash the housing market. We didn't mismanage Social Security or retirement pension funds. We haven't been voting for the same corrupt parties and politicians regularly for the past 40+ years.

You know who did? Baby Boomers by and large. You know who is going to have to clean up YOUR mess? We are, the Millennials, that's who. WE are fighting YOUR wars. I work damn hard to put myself through school while raising a family and working full time. I know plenty of other people my age in the same situation. So I get sick and tired of hearing old fuddie duddies who were part of the generation that turned our nation into a train wreck raging on my generation. So you just sit back and let us clean up your mess while you enjoy your golden retirement years with Social Security and/or a pension because my generation likely won't reap those benefits.
*applause*

Too many threads like this. They deserve to be called out.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM

328 posts, read 405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The product of Helicopter Parenting
You get my vote. Back when I was young, I had to collect eggs, sweep the porch, take the slop bucket out to the hog pen and make my bed before I even got to the part about getting ready for school. This involved waking up around 5:30 a.m., and since the bus I caught was on a rural route in the deep sticks, I had to be sure I was at the mailbox to be picked up by 6:20 as well. I was doing all of the above by age 8, unassisted. It was expected that Doomed would gather the eggs, sweep the porch and slop the hogs before she went to school. Now days, this would be considered child abuse...but it's A-OK to have the kid these days scheduled in swimming, martial arts, ballet, chess club in a stagger beginning at 5:00 a.m. with no break but school. I had plenty of time to be a kid and daydream and get into trouble, but I also had grand parents that loved me dearly and expected me to obey their wishes. Work is part of life and living in a family and many kids these days don't experience that in the western world because like I said, everything that may build some character in the little schmucks or teach them that they are not in the center of the universe is 'child abuse'.

Being in the military was a breeze to me. I was already used to getting up early and putting in work. Grandpa and grandma had already given me the ability to self-discipline by staying on my case. I'm grateful.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,149,106 times
Default Why are younger generations so self-entitled?

Not sure if it's been pointed out but the culprits are the self-esteem movement and helicopter parents.

Here's some parenting tips from a Gen Xer...

Rewarding a child who has done nothing special is not a great way to teach him/her how to succeed as an adult in an increasingly crowded, ruthlessly competetive world.

Self esteem means being strong and confident. Heaping praise on a kid is not the only (or even close to the best) way to build self esteem.

Being overprotective of your child is VERY damaging to their future. A kid doesn't suddenly turn 25 years old and magically become a smart, independent, problem-solving adult. Those skills are learned over YEARS, starting from the time they are toddlers. Small screwups are inevitable (and necessary for development) but a kid's screwup is almost always smaller and has fewer consequences than an adult's screwup.

Certainly it's important to take precautions but for god's sake, let your kids fall down (figuratively and literally) where it's not actually life threatening so they can learn how to get back up, dust themselves off and keep going!!!

Be smart yourself. Your kids are watching you... if you are an idiot, your kids will be too. Remember that "be an example" thing grandma talked about? It's true.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Not sure if it's been pointed out but the culprits are the self-esteem movement and helicopter parents.

Here's some parenting tips from a Gen Xer...

Rewarding a child who has done nothing special is not a great way to teach him/her how to succeed as an adult in an increasingly crowded, ruthlessly competetive world.

Self esteem means being strong and confident. Heaping praise on a kid is not the only (or even close to the best) way to build self esteem.

Being overprotective of your child is VERY damaging to their future. A kid doesn't suddenly turn 25 years old and magically become a smart, independent, problem-solving adult. Those skills are learned over YEARS, starting from the time they are toddlers. Small screwups are inevitable (and necessary for development) but a kid's screwup is almost always smaller and has fewer consequences than an adult's screwup.

Certainly it's important to take precautions but for god's sake, let your kids fall down (figuratively and literally) where it's not actually life threatening so they can learn how to get back up, dust themselves off and keep going!!!

Be smart yourself. Your kids are watching you... if you are an idiot, your kids will be too. Remember that "be an example" thing grandma talked about? It's true.
I don't agree with this. Times are much tougher now, the economy is worse. The consequences of parents just letting their kids fail is far greater. As a parent you should also not just stop helping your kids after a certain age. A symbiotic relationship is best and for the parents, it means they'll have a greater chance of their kids being there for them when they get old and roles are reversed.

You can never win. You'll either be blamed for going on public assistance or blamed for asking your parents for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or