Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,834,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Older generations always gripe about the younger and how much better they were when they were growing up.

There will always be examples of the extreme and that's what makes the news.

The young people I know are not this way. Most have worked while teens. They are good kids who have value and morals. Bashing the younger generation gets tiresome.

Are there entitled kids? Yes. And there always have been.
Two thumbs way up

I hate these threads. I don't personally know any kids the accusations apply to. I see young people committed to volunteering, working their butts off to get into good schools, drinking much less than I did as a teen, and worrying what kind of jobs they will find upon graduation.

I challenge those who paint the younger generation with such a broad brush to actually spend some time with them. It would be an eye-opening experience, and likely one to put our settled selves to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,369,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
Eh, I don't know that this generation of students is drastically different. I do think the biggest issue is that this is an age of instant gratification. Students get used to instant responses and easy communication due to texts, emails, etc.

I work at a university, and overall the students I meet with are not what you describe. Are there some who come off as entitled, and are demanding, and don't read and expect to be handed everything - oh, yeah. But those "bad eggs" are more the exception than the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Parents are doing the following:
- Everything for their children
- Not making the children take responsibility
- Not teaching children the value of a dollar
- Not teaching their children that one has to work for what they have.
I think you are painting all parents with a really broad brush here. The parents I witness with children in my neighborhood are doing the exact opposite.

Quote:
Then, they tell their kid if they go to college, they will make $100,000,000 a year working a plush job that requires them to do nothing all day.
this is one of the more ridiculous statements I have read lately.

Quote:
I didn't really think I would appreciate it growing up, but I'm actually thankful that I grew up poor. Instead of expecting everything to be given to me, I know that I need to work for what I have. I know if I make a mistake, I'll have to own up to it and make it right. I know the value of a dollar.

I'm smack dab in the middle of the entitlement generation - it irritates me what people my age expect to get away with.
There are plenty of people who don't grow up poor who understand that not everything is given to them.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM

6,441 posts, read 7,728,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I have. In some cases the parent even tries to confront the employer as to why their "little boy" or "girl" wasn't hired.
Yeah, being questioned by a parent, that would definitely influence me to higher the kid. Man, I would so love that to happen in my office.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
Someone's been watching network news again.

In my experience, the MOST entitled are 50-somethings who are fairly well off.

I myself am 45.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,553,436 times
I also think that some of the younger generation has it harder this day and age depending on their field. For many people I know, work never "turns off". You have your blackberry, cell phone, remote access, etc, and you're expected to be available all the time. In my field I have seen people become lower rated employees because they weren't available in the middle of the night/holidays. You can't leave work and turn it off because of technology. There is a constant flow of information and an immediate "must have it now" mentality that is perpetuated. I know some people that specifically plan a vacation where there is no cell phone access in order to get a break.

Not to say generations of the past did not work hard. OF COURSE they did (and you have the exceptions in all generations that do NOT). But it's definitely a different era now for some.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,997,449 times
The problem, where it exists, comes from Parents who strive to be their child's "best friend" (don't you just want to puke when mom and junior hug and they say that...'we're best friends'?) instead of being a parent. How many folks do you know where junior is still living in the family home in their twenties? Rent Free? Meals and Laundry included?

When I was growing up that scenario MIGHT have lasted about one week.

Maybe.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,503,614 times
At least they learn at school that "self-entitled" is the opposite of "entitled". And they don't go writing "entitled" (which means they are due it) when they actually mean self-entitled (which means they imagine they are due it).

Dingdong posters on here can't say that.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM

919 posts, read 1,682,470 times
It always amazes me how so many people are okay generalizing this generation. You can't pidgeon hole an entire generation because some parents spoil their kids. Personally, as a 17 year old I feel entitled to NOTHING. I hate asking for my parents help when it comes to money. I work full time during the summer and part time during the year to get what I want and I have been for almost 2 years. Before then I worked odd jobs, mostly babysitting. I do my own shopping and similar things. The only thing my parents actually pay for is my car insurance ( and they bought my car bc i earned it) and I know they can choose to stop that at any time.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,120,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Most of us, of course, play by those rules anyway because we have to eat. Indeed, the laziest and most "entitled" people I encounter are much older.
I encounter the same, but more so entitlement than laziness. It makes me think of my parents to be honest, who are in their 70s, and their parents. There's a sense of entitlement (Medicaid and never ending medical care regardless of cost and outcome, SS and pensions that should run for 30+ years, little contributions to the community, etc).

Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,607,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
At least they learn at school that "self-entitled" is the opposite of "entitled". And they don't go writing "entitled" (which means they are due it) when they actually mean self-entitled (which means they imagine they are due it).
No, "entitled" can mean either of those things, depending on context.

"Self-entitled" is simply not a word. I don't know when that got started, but it isn't English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy