Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 AM

9 posts, read 6,361 times

Advertisements

OK, so wikipedia defines it as:

"Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior."

Well, yeah, it's a simple fact, I agree with what this definition says. The difference is just that this definition says it's a BELIEF, but I know that it's a FACT. And I agree, that "members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior". So I guess I'm a racist, right? And is it morally OK to admit it openly everywhere and in front of everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I don't think racist is the right term to describe yourself. And your post proves that your belief is myopic.

So, how long were you banned on this site?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Banned? Why banned? I have just registered.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think racist is the right term to describe yourself.
Wikipedia lies?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
If you agree with the propositions set forth in the Wikipedia entry it is accurate for you to call yourself, and for other people to call you a racist.

Not something to be proud of.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM

OK, that is already something definite.

Why can't I be proud of it if statement "members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior" is correct?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Just off the top of my head:

Because it's objectively false.
Because it is the root of much of the suffering humans have encountered through the centuries.
Because it continues to cause evil results around the world.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Because it's objectively false.
Any respectable scientific works on proving it's false?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
A large majority of Anthropology? Why expect people to do leg work for you?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM

207 posts, read 336,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR78 View Post
OK, so wikipedia defines it as:

"Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior."

Well, yeah, it's a simple fact, I agree with what this definition says. The difference is just that this definition says it's a BELIEF, but I know that it's a FACT. And I agree, that "members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior". So I guess I'm a racist, right? And is it morally OK to admit it openly everywhere and in front of everyone?
Go ahead be whatever u want, be as racist as u want, it's your choice. Tell whoever u want, be as proud of it as u want to be, there's no law against being racist.

But when u label an individual based on their skin color, you're also labeling yourself as ignorant, narrow minded, and more than likely look at yourself more highly than u ought, and probably more than anyone else ever would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy