Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 PM

233 posts, read 718,461 times

Advertisements

perhaps more educated people are just busy getting educated and hence no children....

NYC is full of educated people, busy getting educated. I spent 11 years in college between my three degrees. With several years of professional experience mixed in between degrees I was well into my 30s, before receiving a terminal degree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 02:21 PM

11,192 posts, read 9,020,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Do women who are lawyers marry janitors? Sure it can and does happen but by far and large that is not the norm. Women do tend to marry "up" and will look for partners that are above or at the very least equal to them in education, income, and social status. I can have a field day in terms of theories of why that's the case but despite some exceptions the general trend is that women do indeed marry "up". So much so that there is even a anthropological term for women who are at the very top and thus have problems finding suitable partners. It's called the Brahmin Problem. Historically, Brahmins are the highest caste in Indian society. Social norms dictate that you marry within your same caste, however women can, in many circumstances, marry someone from a higher caste (or men can have a lower caste wife). It is socially unacceptable for women to marry "down". So much so that if a Brahmin woman can't find a man within her caste, she stays single.

So while many of you might throw jabs at EastBoundandDownChick, her situation is a real one studied and documented within social science. I'm not sure what race she is but there are tons of articles on how highly educated, high earning black women can't find suitable [black] men for marriage. Incidences of high rates of incarceration and low levels of education are the reason. A woman who has a phd from Harvard isn't too keen on dating the guy with record that works at Whole Foods. These articles and news clips don't use the term Brahmin Problem, but that's exactly what it is.
You don't know her race or how she LOOKs like. remember, she also has to sexually attract a mate. if she is butt ugly her chances are slim to none.

why isn't the men can marry down, in between, etc but women can't?? If she doesn't want to lower her expectations then it's her fault that she is childless and unmarried. I remember seeing that documentary about black women and their issue was also that their wish list in a man was above and beyond. You have to compromise a little.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,891,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There are incentives to cranking out kids for the poor. Having children for the poor in most developed countries is a rational decision.
The posters on the subway are warnings that changes are coming.
I wonder how many people read them.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
what posters??

Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,891,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
what posters??
You have not seen them ?!

They show children, babies really, making statements: "I hope you have a really good job because I cost a lot of money !" And then stats are added at the bottom about what it actually costs to raise a child. One other I can think of had a baby crying and the stats regarding how many children of single mothers fail to graduate from high school, and how few teen mothers become a family with the baby daddy. I thought they were great.

I think they are dying out, perhaps because a roar of protest ensued. They were "racist" (even though some of the babies were white), harassing a certain demographic, and so on. Invasive of "civil rights," someone stated. Of course in no discussions did any of the protesters discuss the facts, or pose any alternate solutions or ideas.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You have not seen them ?!

They show children, babies really, making statements: "I hope you have a really good job because I cost a lot of money !" And then stats are added at the bottom about what it actually costs to raise a child. One other I can think of had a baby crying and the stats regarding how many children of single mothers fail to graduate from high school, and how few teen mothers become a family with the baby daddy. I thought they were great.

I think they are dying out, perhaps because a roar of protest ensued. They were "racist" (even though some of the babies were white), harassing a certain demographic, and so on. Invasive of "civil rights," someone stated. Of course in no discussions did any of the protesters discuss the facts, or pose any alternate solutions or ideas.
Not really. i carpool in the AM to work and by the afternoon train ride back home i am out of it.

The below is what you are talking about. Looks like a good thing to do to prevent teen pregrancies. I also believe they should give out condoms and quarterly sex ed classes in HS.

SHAME CAMPAIGN: NYC ad campaign on teen pregnancy marshals crying babies - NY Daily News

Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,340,168 times
Quote:
Ha. Good luck with that.

A lynchpin of he NYC economy is government welfare/ subsidy money.

When it comes to government aid programs for the poor, NYC is in a catch 22 because the cit has come to rely on these in a big way for its economic activity.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,955,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
perhaps more educated people are just busy getting educated and hence no children....

NYC is full of educated people, busy getting educated. I spent 11 years in college between my three degrees. With several years of professional experience mixed in between degrees I was well into my 30s, before receiving a terminal degree....
Lets not forget that people like you in NYC are going to spend years and years paying off tuition debt, I hope interest rates remain the same. Eventually people like you will have to hold off on marriage and children, women may have a tad bit easier, women who are careerist and educated who are in the money pit will probably look for a man that is much more well off, that's unless the guy is dumber than her but has money, example professional athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Ha. Good luck with that.

A lynchpin of he NYC economy is government welfare/ subsidy money.

When it comes to government aid programs for the poor, NYC is in a catch 22 because the cit has come to rely on these in a big way for its economic activity.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. NYC always has to pony up to the state and feds for grants to support this program, support that program which pays many of the workers in those field to help those who on govt assistance.

Quote:
Do women who are lawyers marry janitors? Sure it can and does happen but by far and large that is not the norm. Women do tend to marry "up" and will look for partners that are above or at the very least equal to them in education, income, and social status. I can have a field day in terms of theories of why that's the case but despite some exceptions the general trend is that women do indeed marry "up". So much so that there is even a anthropological term for women who are at the very top and thus have problems finding suitable partners. It's called the Brahmin Problem. Historically, Brahmins are the highest caste in Indian society. Social norms dictate that you marry within your same caste, however women can, in many circumstances, marry someone from a higher caste (or men can have a lower caste wife). It is socially unacceptable for women to marry "down". So much so that if a Brahmin woman can't find a man within her caste, she stays single.

So while many of you might throw jabs at EastBoundandDownChick, her situation is a real one studied and documented within social science. I'm not sure what race she is but there are tons of articles on how highly educated, high earning black women can't find suitable [black] men for marriage. Incidences of high rates of incarceration and low levels of education are the reason. A woman who has a phd from Harvard isn't too keen on dating the guy with record that works at Whole Foods. These articles and news clips don't use the term Brahmin Problem, but that's exactly what it is.
According to a native Bronxite and longtime L.A Transplant Tom Lykis who stats that women do marry up and not down, but men marry down and not up. In this video segment that is posted by the wall street journal tells about how NYC needs more men and not women, there is a person on the video that states A man will marry B woman, B man will Marry C woman, C man will marry D woman leaving the A women and the D men eventually single. I know of a situation like this, an investor that I know, he is smart and Ivy league educated, his wife is just a stay at home immigrant woman from Eastern Europe, he did not marry an educated woman who wanted the same attainment in life as him. I can not blame him.

Video - Opinion Journal: Why NYC Needs More Men -- James Taranto on Bloomberg's push to reduce illegitimacy - WSJ.com

Don't get me wrong some women will marry for the wrong reasons but you may have visit poor neighborhoods in the Bronx and Brooklyn or even parts of the backwards south to come up with an conclusion for that. plenty of educated women will remain umarried, don't get me wrong in places like NYC, DC and SF they can have sex as much as drinking free water or hell even get pregnanct like the two careerist Transplant women I know of, but it will be difficult to find a man to bring up to the alter or the justice priest. Because of their degrees, careers, brain, they over value themselves, but womens value and worth declines every year unless she assumes she is something vintage like an old car.

ABC Nightline - 42% of Black Women Are Unmarried - YouTube

Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:

Except there really aren't that many rich guys for women to marry up to. Its a fantasy people have, but the reality is another matter. My mother, who worked for the electric company, made more money than my father, who worked in construction. He actually got benefits (health insurance) because of my mom. Oh, and when Bill Clinton was governor, Hillary Clinton made more money than him. Britney Spears married a broke man, when she was the one who had the money. There have been a number of actresses who were married to less successful men. Madonna has a 25 year old boy toy, she's a rich old woman looking for FUN. Ivana Trump, another rich old woman, has a dude in his 30s . Joan Collins, a rich old woman, is married to a 40 year old.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

According to a native Bronxite and longtime L.A Transplant Tom Lykis who stats that women do marry up and not down, but men marry down and not up. In this video segment that is posted by the wall street journal tells about how NYC needs more men and not women, there is a person on the video that states A man will marry B woman, B man will Marry C woman, C man will marry D woman leaving the A women and the D men eventually single. I know of a situation like this, an investor that I know, he is smart and Ivy league educated, his wife is just a stay at home immigrant woman from Eastern Europe, he did not marry an educated woman who wanted the same attainment in life as him. I can not blame him.

Video - Opinion Journal: Why NYC Needs More Men -- James Taranto on Bloomberg's push to reduce illegitimacy - WSJ.com

Don't get me wrong some women will marry for the wrong reasons but you may have visit poor neighborhoods in the Bronx and Brooklyn or even parts of the backwards south to come up with an conclusion for that.

ABC Nightline - 42% of Black Women Are Unmarried - YouTube
There are other reasons why people get attracted to people and end up in long term relationships. Good lucks, being good in bed, the person is fun to be with, the person emotionally supports them, etc. This is true of both men and women.

You conveniently ignore some women on this thread who say they married men who made less money for them, because it supports your own self loathing issues (Can't get a woman).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy