U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,092,210 times

Advertisements

Let us assume that a) there will still be humans on earth in, say, 200 years, and b) the civilization will have taken more steps forward than backward in that interval.

What do you think philosophical debates in 2213 will sound like? What will be the central issues? Theology? Ethics? Cosmology? Politics? Economics? Biogenics? Mathematics? Intelligence? Do you think any of those will be essentially resolved by that time, in no further need of debate? Will there still be humans exercising the free will to engage in philosophical debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM

19,186 posts, read 14,970,102 times
I just get past the idea that things won't be better so anything I would have to say would probably belong in the "Political" forum.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I just get past the idea that things won't be better so anything I would have to say would probably belong in the "Political" forum.
I don't see where the OP articulates that proposition. If I go to the Sports forum and ask how baseball might be changed in future centuries, or to the Pets forum to wonder about the status of pets in future centuries, are you going to direct that to the Political forum, too? No doubt so you can continue your blanket blame of Obama for the dire straits of baseball or puppies?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-05-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,974,759 times
Honestly this thread going towards the singularity, when computers merge with humans sometime between 2030 and 2045, so at this point it will be impossible to know what we will be debating after 2050 let alone 200 years from now.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,045,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What do you think philosophical debates in 2213 will sound like? What will be the central issues? Theology? Ethics? Cosmology? Politics? Economics? Biogenics? Mathematics? Intelligence?
Given your assumption that we will take more steps forward than back, I would expect theology to have diminished significantly in importance and to use up much less of people's bandwidth. I see humanity climbing out of a very deep hole of superstition and ignorance. I envision it taking perhaps a thousand years for those things to completely lose their grip on our collective imagination, but a couple more centuries should demonstrate significant progress if I'm at all right.

I don't see that much change on the other fronts you list. Cosmology might be second in line, as without religious ideations about the origin of things, we can objectively pursue the facts wherever they lead. However I would expect most of our progress on that front to simply consist of a greater willingness to say the three magic words, "I don't know" and to be content with not making stuff up as a placeholder. Some of the questions about origins I believe are inherently unanswerable because reality appears to be a closed system that we cannot step outside of and observe in context, even assuming we could comprehend it.

Politics would be #3, again because it would be less sullied by manufactured / prefabricated ideology and more objective.

However, people will always be people and we have the problem that each generation starts from scratch and may or may not believe what previous generations leave behind for them to ponder. The young and impulsive we'll always have with us.
Quote:
Do you think any of those will be essentially resolved by that time, in no further need of debate? Will there still be humans exercising the free will to engage in philosophical debate?
Heck, no. I think the focus will change a bit but some things will never be settled. We may have figured out dark matter and string theory in 200 years, but people will still be restless and looking for that elusive "purpose".

It's possible that 3D printing and virtual reality and brain mapping will evolve to the point where we can hide within deeply nested virtual realities and never have to engage with the Real World (tm). That should actually create new philosophical problems to debate.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Honestly this thread going towards the singularity, when computers merge with humans sometime between 2030 and 2045, so at this point it will be impossible to know what we will be debating after 2050 let alone 200 years from now.
This thread has absolutely nothing to do with your pet singularity. Unless you predict that the singularity will mark the end of human intellectual thought.

Everybody already knows that it is impossible to know the future. This thread asks for speculation and conjecture about the course of philosophy as various future scenarios unfold.

I predict that in in 2046, you will still be responding to every thread with a prediction that the singularity is coming soon.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM

25,620 posts, read 13,325,132 times
I think we might be swapping seriously interesting info with aliens from other planets.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This thread has absolutely nothing to do with your pet singularity. Unless you predict that the singularity will mark the end of human intellectual thought.

Everybody already knows that it is impossible to know the future. This thread asks for speculation and conjecture about the course of philosophy as various future scenarios unfold.

I predict that in in 2046, you will still be responding to every thread with a prediction that the singularity is coming soon.
My argument is that after 2045 life will be so different that it is impossible to know what the philosophical debates will be. An example would be to ask the people in the Stone Age what will the philosophical debates be today. They would have no frame of reference of the issues we are dealing with.

Now if I had to make a guess I could say in a broad sense they would deal with the impacts of a super intelligence and computers merging with humans. At this point no one knows how that will play out.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think we might be swapping seriously interesting info with aliens from other planets.
That is a good possibility.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM

493 posts, read 702,529 times
extrapolating from the last 200 years out to the next 200 years, most changes have taken and will take place in technology and science, not philosophy itself. however, we could distinguish between modern and post-modern philosophy as thesis/antithesis and imagine a synthesis of some sort.

of course, the potential for mass extinction of humanity will probably increase in importance as nuclear holocaust is joined by religious extremism, plague, climate change, resource depletion and overpopulation. alien encounters are probably further down the road.

so, perhaps post-modern philosophy will evolve into pre-extinction philosophy?

a quick check of wikipedia shows distinctions between analytic and continental philosophies emphasized over modern/post-modern categories, with strong comments on the professionalism and specialization trends in philosophy. Do we need another Kant in order to evolve the thought processes? Is transhumanism up to the task?

perhaps we should humbly acquiesce to the "decline of western civilization" and cast our fates with indigenous and/or eastern philosophy?

Last edited by highplainsrus; 07-06-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy