U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM

12,870 posts, read 15,346,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
1. Does love exist without conditions?

2. Does love exist without trust?

I have some opinions but I would like to see what others on the forum think... I'm mostly sure one of those, but I'm conflicted about the other. BTW I mean human to human love, not that between human and a divine being or animals, etc.
1. Yes..TRUE love can only exist without "conditions"
2. Yes, no trust is needed for love to exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,115,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Someone said: "I love everyone, but don't have to like them".

What is that mean anyways? How do you love someone when you don't like them? What is "Love" mean in this case? Treating them well? Thinking well of them? Wishing them well?

Obviously it's not loving them by your feelings since you can't feel loving towards someone you don't like, right?
I said that. What it means is that I may totally disagree with what they do, they may be mean, they may be lost or illogical and disrespectful. But I have my boundaries and I am not forced to be subjected to thier doings. But, because they are human, and all humans are flawed, I love them anyway.
Loving someone does not mean that they are someone I would marry, be in a relationship with or invite over for a holiday dinner.
Not everyone has had a 'perfect' life and loved and cared for as a child, or even taught how to be an honorable person. This does not make them unworthy of love. Everyone needs to be loved.
And yes, treat them with respect, offer compassion and if they need help and it can be provided without crossing boundaries, then it is done.
I can give a jerk my love, but I don't have to give them money, or bring them into my home.

"Obviously it's not loving them by your feelings since you can't feel loving towards someone you don't like, right?"
Not right- loving them is unconditional. Meaning it does not matter what they do, they are still loved.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,856,267 times
There is no such thing as unconditional love between a man and a woman. At one time I thought that there was but past experiences have made me realize that this is not possible.

There is unconditional love between a parent and a child. The love between a parent and a child is a different kind of love than between a man and a woman. It is a stronger love that cannot be broken. I have realized this from past experiences too.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 AM

4 posts, read 2,870 times
I have also come to believe that Love, because it is a feeling, can be unconditional. Sometimes, no matter what a partner does, feelings toward them do not change. Relationships, however, are working partnerships. As such, they require conditions, boundaries, limits, and directions to run smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy