Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

My wife is a lifelong unbeliever who doesn't "get" religion but even she will say "It was(n't) meant to be" from time to time. I think for her it's just a way of letting go of an attachment to an outcome, not a statement of divine (non)providence.

I think this is the primary meaning for a lot of people who utter this statement; significant numbers of other people probably just don't think it through and it's merely an ill-considered verbal tic. So I would not assume that 100% of the time when you hear this someone is expressing a theistic belief or even wish of some kind. Though, it's not rare, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
A swami/ guru/ yogi once said, God is like a little boy
playing in a garden.

Needless to say, is there a reason to get a stick and upset an anthill?
Only for the inquisitiveness and observation or fun for the boy.
Did he learn something? Will he do it again? Will he move on to
some frog or butterfly now? Will he lay back in the sun with a flower under
his nose?

Is there a reason?

I see one.

And because of that I lead a very wise and peaceful life....I mean, now.]

Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times
"Everything happens for a reason" is a way of saying "some good will come from this eventually" and it gives people a little hope for their future.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
"Everything happens for a reason" is a way
of saying "some good will come from this
eventually" and it gives people a little hope for their future.
I stole a bike when I was a stupid teen...within weeks mine was stolen.
I accepted it in awe...and thanked God...now, that was over with....I found my bike in
someone's yard....I said, "Wow, that's my bike ...see here?"
I said, Keep it I don't want it back, I don't care where you got it from...it's yours....

I was free of that karma....just alittle story....should have posted it in LOA, also.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i do agree you make your bed,,and lie in it,,based on your own personal behavior,,and this is karma to some people
you cant complain about hangovers if you drink too much,

it was meant to be,,,sometime is an appeasement to reality-dismissiveness, rather than to ger angry-
however i do believe in self-fulfilling prophecies,,how one acts/ believes, and conducts oneself,,,life is mirrored in what you give

Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Things happen for a reason to people who program themselves to a specific goal. The individual will adjust him/herself to overlook certain events and attribute meaning to important ones. One long string of microcosmic cause and effect.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:11 PM

I also think if you are learning from things...the smile from the stranger, the hammer
on your thumb...then you will always see a reason.

If I didn't see a reason for things....I wouldn't want to be that person.
I chose to question and wonder and see the 'mystery that is not a mystery'
underlying things.
Sorry, but the hambone IS connected to the shin bone and so on...dominoes
just are, ...ripples just are....it is all happening for a reason.

And like a great movie....the clues are there to find, imo.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,403 times
I believe everything happens for a reason! Our experiences are designed to shape us, define us and, hopefully, grow us into the mightiest possible.I am one of those who always want to learn from every life experience and this helps me to be a better me in some areas.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My wife is a lifelong unbeliever who doesn't "get" religion but even she will say "It was(n't) meant to be" from time to time. I think for her it's just a way of letting go of an attachment to an outcome, not a statement of divine (non)providence......
I tend to see, "It wasn't meant to be," as a way of putting a positive spin on the old sour grapes fable.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM

128 posts, read 207,734 times
Well...I remember when 9/11 happened. This guy was on his way to the airport to fly on one of the doomed flights and his car wouldn't start in the driveway as he was about to leave, he had to call AAA for assistance. By the time they arrived and by the time he got to the airport, aggravated and all, he missed his flight...(LUCKY HIM) I guess it wasn't his time to die yet...and the fact his car didn't start, didn't start for a reason. And he is alive today to speak of it. Thus "Some things really do happen for a reason."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy